"Apostates can only criticize , tear down and destroy "

by BluesBrother 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

"Apostates can only criticize , tear down and destroy " say the active dubs, "Where is their hope of something better? What is their message to mankind ? If they have nothing better to offer, how can they attack our faith, which at least offers a hope of a better world?"

Such is a frequent criticism that we have to encounter, but like many other facets of the J.W. reasoning...It is entirely fallacious and a smokescreen put up in the face of legitimate criticism.

The individual Witnesses who make this application are not entirely to blame . They are repeating what the Watchtower has printed.

"And while the apostates may also present certain facts, these are usually taken out of context with the goal of drawing others away from the table of Jehovah. All their writings simply criticize and tear down! Nothing is upbuilding"

and this particularly gory comment, presumably an attempt at sick humour.

"Shortly, the great tribulation will suddenly break out, moving quickly to a climax in “the war of the great day of God the Almighty.” (Revelation 16:14, 16) It will reach a crescendo as Jehovah destroys this system of things and the figurative table at which the world’s nations have been feeding.[stet. included is political and apostate information] Jehovah will also overthrow the entire invisible organization of Satan the Devil with its hordes of demons. Those who have continued to feed at Satan’s spiritual table, the table of demons, will be forced to attend a literal meal, no, not as partakers, but as the main course—to their destruction!—See Ezekiel 39:4;
    {To birds of prey, birds of every sort of wing, and the wild beasts of the field I will give you for food.”’}

both quotes Watchtower 1994 7/1 p 16

So your past friends and your relatives are well primed in their condemnation of adverse information, they are simply repeating the party line.

In so doing they reveal a fundamental misunderstanding of the nature of "apostates" - If you are lurking and have read so far , I would like to assure that there is NO organized resistance movement to the Watchtower Society . The magazines like to give the impression that there is an "Evil Slave Class" who are mounting a co ordinated attack on "Gods people" . That this "class" has a structure and is a united body of international proportions, using the internet and other means, to tear down "The Truth"

I have news for anybody that believes this. Those called "apostates" are a bunch of unnumbered people that communicate via the net and may vent their personal feelings about the way that the Watchtower has affected their life. Individuals may post up their own writings of refutation of Watchtower teachings. Some people are able to set up websites that bring together the writings of refutation and counter argument. But there is no coordination, no chain of command , no unified plan of attack.

So called "Apostates" are all sorts of people. Some have become atheists , some have found other faiths. There are old ones, young ones, male , female, fat, thin, but mainly good humoured and genial ...just like any other group of people that you know .

I am reminded of that character in George Orwell's political fiction "1984". I am thinking of Emannuel Goldstein. He was constantly held up as the great enemy of The Party , the one who had broken away from it and was plotting its downfall.. In fact , as the story unfolds it is unlikely that he really existed. But it was useful to "The Party" to have him held up as a constant threat to the individual members,, whose writings must be avoided like the plague. It kept the party members together, in a state of distrust of any "unauthorised" information.

The controlling nature of the Watchtower Society is revealed in the way that claims to "protect " the flock from outside information. In fact it prevents its adherents from receiving alternative information that may cause them to raise questions about their faith The Catholic Church once wanted to keep The Bible in Latin for the same reason.

So fear not. There is no International conspiracy plotting harm and able to tear down the Watchtower Society. Any harm that it comes to will be self inflicted.

In fact - we are quite nice people when you get to know us

• superpunk
    superpunk

The Watchtower does a nice job of "Poisoning the Well", eh?

Nice post.

• elder-schmelder
    elder-schmelder

This is the exact point that I said to my grandma today !!!

elder-schmelder

• sir82
    sir82

If you are attending a movie, and I pass by & notice the theater is on fire, am I obligated to yell out to warn you?

Of course!

Now that you are out, am I obligated to give you a directory of other theaters where that same movie is playing, and give you money so you can see what you missed in the burned-down theater?

So why is it necessary for "apostates" to provide a "replacement hope" for exiting JWs?

As Ecclesiastes says, there is a time to tear down & a time to build up. Apostates expose the weaknesses, fallacies, and danger of the WTS. Where you go after that for a "replacement hope" is up to you.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

My Mom is afraid that I will become an "apostate", why?

Because I did what she asked me to do years ago, to view the RCC with a critical eye based on scripture.

The problem it seems is that I applied that same eye to the WT ( and all other religions).

My questioning of WT doctrine that is not scriptural but interpretive has caused her to fear for my salvation and for that of my wife and children.

I assured her that I have faith and belief in One God, our heavenly Father and his One Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour, who is the sole mediator beteen Us and God, who was crucified for our Sins, who was raised from the Dead and sits at his Fathers side.

I told her that my salvation is based on Faith and love in Jesus that from this love that the good deeds that I do, flow forth, not with the hope of recompense, but out of love with the hope of nothing other than "love begetting Love".

She is still worried about me...

• shamus100
    shamus100

Oh, I do so love the "where else shall we go" excuse. It's as needy as you can get - and a cheap cop-out.

I say again: People who allow themselves to be blinded will never leave the truth until they have they're own "realization" that something isn't right. It isn't about tearing down - it's about truth.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Excellent post!

But there is no coordination, no chain of command , no unified plan of attack.

Right, but can we still use the secret handshakes?

I was already lurking here, seeding my bible Watchtower publication study with what I was learning, and no, I was not receiving "satisfying answers" to my many well-researched questions.

So I had a brother explain talk down to me about avoiding those wicked apostate websites, all they did was spew vicious lies... and thought, "How could you know, unless you read them!"

And I don't for one moment think he that he did, he was brainwashed from birth. Following "The Party" line for JWs is worship through fear, not faith. Sad.

~Sue

• bennyk
    bennyk

[Recycled old post (2/26/2009)]

"’Are we at the End of the World?’ was the subject of

Mr. Rutherford’s address. This was his first public appearance

in Brooklyn since the death of Pastor Russell.

"’Criticism of a man is hardly the proper course for a

Christian,’ he said, ’but criticism of a man’s teachings is always

proper. " (Watch Tower, 15. June 1917 [Reprints page 6104])

• undercover
    undercover
    Where is their hope of something better? What is their message to mankind ? If they have nothing better to offer, how can they attack our faith, which at least offers a hope of a better world?

I remember falling for this back when I was still active. A pioneer brother was calling on a guy in service. I went with him on several of the return visits. The guy had moved into the territory and obviously used to associate with the dubs. Looking back on it, the guy obviously had been a JW but had awakened to the scam of the WT Society. He was now trying to enlighten us as to our erroneous ways. He pointed out several problems with the WT doctrine. I remember the pioneer finally said, "Okay...let's say you're right and the Society is wrong. Where do I go? What other group in the world can I join and be a part of united worship anywhere in the world? Who can offer something better than what our faith offers?"

It didn't make a dent in the householder but it was the first time I had ever heard that argument...and I fell for it hook, line and sinker. The return visit evenutally petered out, the pioneer wasn't making a dent in him and he obviously was wasting his time with us. But that point stayed with me for a long time. I thought that was the killing shot in the argument.

Of course, many years later, I came to realize illogical fallacy of it.

It's amazing how an illogical question that deflects the actual debate to something totally unrelated works so well with so many JWs. Is there something in some people that make them more susceptible to such illogical thinking? Is that why groups/cults are able to fool so many people? They use illogical reasoning that somehow actually seems logical to certain people who haven't developed critical thinking skills.

• reniaa
    reniaa

bluesbrother do you actually read what ex-witnesses get upto on this site?

I see confirmation on this site of your former witnesses point not the opposite, I see many captured by a need for revenge, or to bring as many out with them as they can. youtubes and websites devoted to getting people out. Demonising witnesses in a way that the vulnerable actually believe. In trying to recapture belief in God again some might get drawn in by born-agains but they are the exception rather than the norm. The majority I've seen on here seem to have an uneasy atheism/agnostism which they cover by getting as actively involved with everyday things. They embrace all that living for the moment involves. They vote cynically expecting the polititions to fail and have no hope beyond the immediate. Sorry but this has no appeal to me. This site is actually not a good advert for people thinking leaving witnesses will give them a better life. It is more an advert for love turned to hate but still allconsuming part of their life.

Reniaa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit