Marijuana?

by Mando8000 60 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

It's a bit like Arthur Mee saying that alcohol is evil because sometimes people miss the spittoons in the pub

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Having smoked it daily for some 8 years, I feel a bit qualified to have an opinion. I see some dangers:

1. Lung cancer and brain cancer, perhaps even more dangerous than tobacco, and since you mix it with tobacco, you get them both. Drinking it as tea or baking them in cakes would minimize it and leave "only" the brain cancer.

WebMD: Better Information. Better Health. April 02, 2009 Skip to content Brain Cancer Health Center </form></form>

Marijuana Chemical May Fight Brain Cancer

Active Component In Marijuana Targets Aggressive Brain Cancer Cells, Study Says By Kelli Miller Stacy
    WebMD Health News Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

April 1, 2009 -- The active chemical in marijuana promotes the death of brain cancer cells by essentially helping them feed upon themselves, researchers in Spain report.

Guillermo Velasco and colleagues at Complutense University in Spain have found that the active ingredient in marijuana, THC, causes brain cancercells to undergo a process called autophagy. Autophagy is the breakdown of a cell that occurs when the cell essentially self-digests.

The team discovered that cannabinoids such as THC had anticancer effects in mice with human brain cancer cells and people with brain tumors. When mice with the human brain cancer cells received the THC, the tumor growth shrank.

Two patients enrolled in a clinical trial received THC directly to the brain as an experimental treatment for recurrent glioblastoma multiforme, a highly aggressive brain tumor. Biopsies taken before and after treatment helped track their progress. After receiving the THC, there was evidence of increased autophagy activity.

The findings appear in the April 1 issue of the Journal of Clinical Investigation.

The patients did not have any toxic effects from the treatment. Previous studies of THC for the treatment of cancer have also found the therapy to be well tolerated, according to background information in journal article.

Study authors say their findings could lead to new strategies for preventing tumor growth.

• purplesofa
  • TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Never with baccy.

?????????????

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Hot knives.

Got a problem with that?

• Warlock
    Warlock

Funny, I tried hash a few times and didn't have any problems.

Warlock

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi,

I think TheOldHippie made some interesting points and he is certainly qualified to comment.

My own personal experience with smoke pot is thus. I first tried it at around 15 years old. Most of the time it was either a laugh or I had too much and felt sick :(

The strongest stuff I had was a few years back in Brazil. The last two visits I did there I was pretty much "stoned out of my mind" for much of the stay. The "cake" there was the "best" and the worst! It felt like I was on a trip. I have never tried acid, but short of hallucinations, it was similar to what has been described by those who have taken acid. On smoking several puffs I was on a trip for around eight hours or more. Time would go very slowly. The days were almost too long! I remember being in the back of a taxi on the way home, a five minute ride and it seemed like hours. I was paranoid we had gone way past my hotel.

I remember turning up to work and saying to myself "I won't bother smoking today" but as soon as the joints were lit I was eager to partake! It was highly addictive and it seemed the only way to go, as if life wasn't bland without it.

I remember remarking that it was best I never lived permanently in Brazil. I would loose my mind! I had seen the negative effects of paranoia first hand. Not wanting to be alone and thinking everyone was very distant when in reality they were only in two rooms away and the doors were open between them! Also, worrying irrationally about things I had said and such.

So, all in all, you can have a some fun. Before too long, it can take hold of you. I agree that for nearly all drug takers, pot is the first and likely not the last stepping stone to "bigger and better" things.

So does the bible forbid it? You can decide but ultimately, my Heavenly Father does not want me doing things than bring negative consequences. Anyhow, "there's no high like the Most High"!

John Crowder & Ben Dunn on Drugs

All the best,

Stephen

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

God and his henchmen have given me a lot more trouble in my life than dope has.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

It has some legitimate medical uses, but until the government and pharmaceutical companies can make a pile of money off it, they won't make it legal for those uses on a widespread basis.

Most of these questions that people believe are about morality or safety issues where the government is concerned are actually money issues. If it was purely about our health and safety, they would have outlawed growing tobacco a long time ago.

It's far more dangerous than marijuana and nicotine is considerably more addictive than many other drugs.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I'd like to see a statistic that shows how many people marijuana has killed. I have never heard of a case. Tobacco and alcohol are far more dangerous.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit