The Governing Body's REAL critical date

by Doug Mason 54 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Russell taught that 1914 CE would bring in an unprecedented era of peace. In 1930, Rutherford moved Russell’s date of the Parousia from 1874 to 1914.

Thus until 1930 not one follower had recognised the currently ascribed significance in heaven to the time that corresponds to 1914 on our Earth. (How they synchronise time in heaven with that of our planet’s annual travel around its sun is beyond comprehension.)

But 1914 CE is not the critical date for the authority of the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses. That honour belongs to 1919 CE.

The GB claims that of all of Russell’s numerous splinter groups, and of all the religious bodies upon Earth, that in 1919 Jehovah God appointed the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society (not a Governing Body) to be his sole voice upon earth of a kingdom that none of them at that time had realised, recognised, or identified.

Did this really happen, is it opinion or fact? On that question hangs the GB’s claim to its absolute authority. Solid rock or shifting sand?

Doug

• wobble
    wobble

Great points Doug,

I hadn't thought about the fact that in 1919 there wasn't a governing body, just "da Judge".

I dropped a letter in this morning to my nephew, he is an Elder, and asked him to prove to me that they were chosen in 1919. I also asked how, and when this fact was communicated to them ,as they evidently knew nothing of it at the time, I shall await his reply, but not hold my breath, I have asked these and related questions of active appointed Dubs , recently, but strangely NONE have come back to me,could it be that they have no answer ?

I ended my letter by saying that I would love to be assured that the WT is god's Org. so that I can hook up with old friends, so the ball is really in his court now.

Good to see you posting on here still Doug,perhaps it would be good to post a link to your site again for newbies, they might appreciate your "scribblings", as they come from someone who was never a JW. (Also for my benefit, I've lost the link !)

love

Wobble

• Hopscotch
    Hopscotch

I totally agree with this Doug - my husband and I have thought for quite a while that 1919 is the date that it all hinges on for the GB. Before my family cut me off in January this year we tried to discuss this with them and the significance of what was/wasn't being taught in 1919, but their general opnion was "well haven't we moved on from all that". It seems like the average JW just doesn't get it or doesn't want to.

Hopscotch

• wobble
    wobble

I agree Hopscotch, a number of Dubs have said to me "Why are you going on about the old stuff?"

But as I said in my letter to my nephew, if they were NOT appointed in 1919 as they claim, then they have no mandate, no authority, no RIGHT, to speak for God. (I didn't add that they are also lying)

If they were chosen in 1919, they must have proof of that (biblical) and be able to show us this from the Bible.As someone else said on this site,

" Colossal claims demand COLOSSAL proof. " And the claims couldn't be bigger.

Love

Wobble

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Period literature shows that, not only were the Bible Students unaware of any inspection in 1918 (and any subsequent appointment in 1919), but also they officially taught that 'overwhelming evidence' showed Russell to be the 'faithful and wise servant' commissioned to give 'meat in due season' (see May 1, 1922 Watch Tower, p. 132).

The 'faithful slave' only became a collective, a class in 1927 (see Feb. 15 WT, p.51-57) and it was taught they were appointed after 1918, thereby wiping out any notion of Russell ever being 'that servant.'

And according to the March 15, 1936 Watch Tower on p.87, the Lord only revealed in 1922 that he was judging the spiritual temple in 1918.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

While I agree with ya Doug, the average JW could not care less about 1919 or who was at the helm before a Governing Body existed.

Stick to the basics with the vast majority of JW's when trying to help them.

Try reading CAPTIVES OF A CONCEPT, found at lulu.com or at it's own site, captivesofaconcept.com, or google it.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

of course russell would be this faithful slave servant. up until the 30's every JW was of the 144,000......

so the servant would not be so special untless it was da leader of the cult

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

If you bring up the history of the organization to show that it is human and flawed they accuse you of apostacy and say "Stick with the Bible. Why do you always bring up Russell? We don't follow Russell, we follow Jesus. Why live in the past, we're far away from that." Yet, when they want everyone to recognize the organization as God's they return to their early history and how significant it is and how it "proves" they are the chosen organization of God. The double standard is blaring and tremendously ugly. W.Once

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

From a doctrinal/dogma point of view, then yes it is 1919, although even this date is linked often to 1914.

Both of these dates are critical, but I think the one that is still cared about the most with the typical JW is 1914.

• blondie
    blondie

In 2000 and 2001 the date 1919 was very prominent in the Isaiah Prophecy books. So how was it "old" news?

*** ip-1 chap. 13 p. 164 par. 14 Salvation and Rejoicing Under the Messiah’s Reign ***In 1919 the remaining ones of "the Israel of God" experienced release from Babylonish captivity and shared in the restoration of true worship. (Galatians 6:16)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit