The Governing Body's REAL critical date

by Doug Mason 54 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

Or was it a tactic of self empowerment in support of the Publishing Company the ( WTBTS. )

The accommodations were there so were the printing presses and the money, all previously established to create a Kingdom of sorts for a few

power seeking men or is that being too rational.?

• Gayle
    Gayle

90 years ago! JWs just accept that 1919 date on blind, ignorant faith. No one can understand it because it's so off the wall. But have hope. I was that way,just accepting (was JW at 9 yrs old) but eventually it becomes part of the stack up that eventually falls over.

• besty
    besty

isn't there some 1290 days or something biblically linking 1914 and 1919? that's the proof.....

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

In a analytical and critical review it was all improvising and self prevaricating of an intuitive.

Realistically would someone spend that much of their personal wealth and effort and see his investment go to total ruin ?

• allelsefails
    allelsefails

Besty - yeah that's the proof - the 2520 days up to 1914 - those mean years, but the 1290 days after 1914 mean real days. goofy yeah? .............. I recently sent a question to branch office on the subject of the 1919 selection process with a copy of my article that is posted on freeminds. http://www.freeminds.org/doctrine/prophecy/what-do-jehovahs-witnesses-believe-about-their-organization-being-chosen-by-god.html (I'll post any response almost 2 months now) I picked nine points that were taught in 1919 I felt would have helped me realize the truth sooner. Most are right that there is nothing that would convince most witnesses, but there are those in the position I was in 3-4 yrs ago who given the right stimulous could free their minds. The best approach I think is the "Someone at the door brought this up - how should I answer it?" That way you're not the apostate and the person you ask will feel obligated to help ou by researching it - they might even learn something.

• scholar
    scholar

Doug Mason

Post 561

Our claims for certain modern-day dates are based upon a careful study of eschatology as revealed in the Bible. Such revelation or disclosure is not for our timetable but rather depends on the Revealer of Secrets, Jehovah God and His Son Jesus Christ who is the Head of the Church. In human terms it is quite natural that immediate understanding of matters is sought and the apparent delay of some decades may give rise to the legitimacy of interpretation of certain dates such as 1914, 1918 and 1919 et cetera. Much of eschatology is based on the book of Revelation which in turns draws material from the book of Daniel and as you well known both of these books have attracted and caused a wide diversity of opinion and interpretation.

When these books were revealed to God's people the contents were subject to the timing of when the contents would be revealed and it is not for any human to override the timing of matters as to what day, month or year such should occur. God alone determines by His own Providence whence these things should occur and in the mean time His people are expected to be busy in the Lords's work and to Keep on the Watch. These things are very much characteristic of the Witnesses and those early Bible Students who were indeed people of faith.

scholar JW

• wobble
    wobble

Scholar,

If a careful study of eschatology leads you to conclude that the choosing, by Jesus, of the Bible Students under Rutherford occured in 1919 I would be interested to know who the theologians you have been studying under are.

The simple truth of the scriptures, and chiefly the words of our Lord Jesus, are there for all to freely understand, there is no need for "Gods people" to explain them to you, open the word of God and read it ,after asking the Holy Spirit to guide your thoughts, and you will find the truth.

The Apocalyptic literature,written as it is in symbals, is open to all sorts of fancifull interpretations, but these are of no value in leading the Christian life,wait and see is a good motto. As you say , be busy in the Lords work is what we should be doing, not supporting crazy explanatons of scriptures that have not yet come to fulfillment.

Love

Wobble

• scholar
    scholar

Wobble

Post 1067

The theologians that you speak of are known biblically as the 'faihtful and discreet slave', the collective body of anointed ones known as the Church or the Body of Christ. These ones are the channel or instrument required to interpret Holy Scriptures and to preach the Gospel.

Yes I agree with you that personal reading of Scripture and prayer are vital aspects of Christian devotion and worship but a Christian by definition is not a solitary being but is part of a collective so being a Christian is being part of a community wherein one finds fellowship and a greater understanding of matters. Jehovah through His Word reveals His matters not an individual but through His Church which has always been the case from the earliest of times.

scholar JW

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    Our claims for certain modern-day dates are based upon a careful study of eschatology as revealed in the Bible.

Not true. I actually studied JW eschatology in Gilead. It came from a man named Fred Franz. Franz was a man of deep, though dubious conviction. To date, not one single thing that Franz/JW have said regarding dates have come true. NOT ONE.

What you assert Scholar is simply not true. There is no evidence of 607 BCE being the date of Jerusalem's fall, thus cutting down the 1914 date once and for all. Even allowing for 1914, the 1290 days is simply nothing more then an exegetical guess at best. The 1919 date is nothing more then an attempt by the Governing Body to self promote themselves as the ultimate authority and arbiter of their flock.

Believe me when I say that I understand why the GB needs to do this, but its all about them, it has nothing to do with the accurate reporting and scholarship of bible eschatology.

• scholar
    scholar

AllTimeJeff

Post 1545

Your studies at Gilead although meritorious does not make you an expert in eschatology, nor does it make you an expert in WT History and Theology. F W Franz was a brilliant scholar and theologian and he made some mistakes such as 1975 but regarding the staus of earlier dates these were the povenance of the 'celebrated' WT scholars. As all of these fellows were human thus mistakes are the nature of things and it is by making mistakes that we learn and are disciplined by God. It is those mistakes whether in Chronology and Theology that serve as 'stepping stones' in the pursuit of truth. It is those 'mistakes' that are part and parcel of our Christian heritage and serve as a witness that Jehovah has raised up a body of people to carry out His will during these 'End -Times'. Did you learn this at Gilead?

The evidence for 607 BCE for the Fall of Jeruselem is overwhelming from not only a biblical viewpoint but also from a secular/historical point of view. Apostates have done much to discredit our sacred chronology but their so-called 'scholarly 'efforts has failed miserably.

The 1260 days and 1919 are proven true biblically by means of the book of Revelation and the Pauline Epistles and conform with the facts of modern history during that early period of the 20th century. The Governing Body is nothing more than a administrative authority for they are subject to the FDS who alone are given the responsibility of providing spirtual food, the GB is simply an agency for the FDS.

scholar JW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit