Where were you when you

by John Doe 70 Replies latest jw friends

• besty
    besty

ATJ - why do you think so much focus on WTBTS role in prophesy at Gilead?

its kinda drip-fed to the regular believers......but from what you've said its pretty intense at Gilead...

• John Doe
    John Doe

Did your inner voice ever conflict with your outer voice?

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Yes, probably for about 5 years from the point that I discussed in my previous post. More so in the first 2 years. Then gradually no conflict.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    Would you say that the shift was as much a self perception change as an outer perception change?

Great question, and I don't know. My perception about myself changed when I realized that all the labels I worked so hard for, "Pioneer", "Elder", "Gilead Grad" "Missionary" were just very external. The more I associated with people who had these labels, the more it seemed that the caste I was trying to join was less themselves. They were all the same, they talked and parroted the same way. They came across as so dispassionate. My perception of the hiearchy of JW's changed, and when that happened, it changed my perception of me.

ATJ - why do you think so much focus on WTBTS role in prophesy at Gilead? its kinda drip-fed to the regular believers......but from what you've said its pretty intense at Gilead...

Besty, it is intense. In my reflections of my past, I have come to the conclusion that at Gilead, the GB wants leaders who will support them to the hilt, and they don't hold too much back. They need to see who will sink and swim with their agenda. The carrot for missionaries is being "da man" where they go. Or the feeling that you are representing the GB, god's organization, etc. So if they can get you to look at the bible as the map that points to the GB, well, that strengthens their group.

They do run the risk of someone (me for example) who gets more turned off as they turn up their prophetic heat. But its worth it to them... I guess...

• Dagney
    Dagney

In the middle of a WT study. All of a sudden it was like I was on the outside looking in. As I listened to the study program and the answers being given, I had the realization I didn't belong there.

I never went back, lost 99.9% of the life and people I knew.

Best decision I ever made.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I think it was when Clinton was president.

I couldnt side with all the puritans who wanted to destroy Amerika and our economy

by impeaching Clinton for his private behavior.

I said to myself the economy is great.

I'm making more money than I have ever made before.

The stock market is great.

I can buy whatever I want.

At that time I realized I was not a conservative republican.

• Gregor
    Gregor

I wasn't where I thought I was but I was somewhere and that was reassuring since I didn't who I was and my drivers licsense picture was not me but a stranger.

• caliber
    caliber
    Where were you when you...
    realized you're not who you thought you were?

This pondering piece of genius reminds me of a silly little verse my father used to jokingly repeat from time to time

"I'm not the man I used to be

in fact I never was !! " ....

Think what you want to be remembered for ... and It will tell you about your self-perception

What do you want to be remembered for? The answer will tell you what to do with the rest of your life."

What do you want to be remembered for? The answer will tell you what to do with the rest of your life."

• Robdar
    Robdar

JD:

You've never changed your mind about serious issues and world views?

Yes, I have. But world views and serious issues never had anything to do with who I am. I simply changed my point of view and rocked on.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Yes, I have. But world views and serious issues never had anything to do with who I am. I simply changed my point of view and rocked on.

What informs your self identity?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit