Where were you when you

by John Doe 70 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

John, were you raised going to the Kingdom Hall?

• m.seagull
    m.seagull

Ever notice how people define themselves with positive qualities? What are the negatives?

I'm a fan of self-deprecating humor.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

New Years Day 2005 - the day my world turn on it's head with regards to the faith. It just hit me that I'd been living blind for 24 years.

• Robdar
  • m.seagull
    m.seagull

oh that is lovely.

• vikesgirl101
    vikesgirl101

Wow, lotsa strange posts on here.

I am going to say that for me there were many "signs" that I was somewhere I didn't belong. I had lived in a mobile home while looking for a permanant home, and had a pioneer sister talk about "trailer trash" people who live in mobile homes. I told her that it was a nasty stereotype. That same day she downgraded people who shop at WalMart as trashy and dumpy. And she knocks on doors preaching? What if the person behind that door was living a mobile home wearing WalMart clothes? Does that make them unworthy of the good news?a judicial

I was sitting in the Khall in a long black denim skirt (no slit) when they announced that denim was inappropriate in any form. Can I slide under a rock?

Sitting in judicial meeting with elders dealing me my new fate as a sinner. One elder said "If you were my wife, I would never take you back".

A few months later I took an Ethics class in college. It opened my eyes to new concepts.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I was at the KH - Service Meeting - not really paying attention, as was my wont.

One of the glorious ones was holding forth about the folly of simply passing the literature pro bono to householders.

One statement he made brought me up short. After citing the Scripture at Matthew 7:6 about not giving what is holy to dogs or casting pearls before swine, he said, "Friends, our literature is holy. Shouldn't we use discernment in its distribution?"

Aghast, I looked around to see others' reaction. Nothing but nods of approval.

I knew then and there that it was time to exit, stage left.

Sylvia

• vikesgirl101
    vikesgirl101

snowbird: That is stunningly sick, yet I do not doubt it for a second. Isn't it horrible that they could be so arrogant? I am certain Jesus did not treat people so poorly. The service meeting in general bothered me. I hated the "Local Needs" part which seemed to be a perfectly designed witch hunt.

• snowbird
    snowbird

It really happened, VikesGirl.

It was my moment of epiphany.

I knew then and there that the Sylvia who'd been baptized in 1974 as a doer of God's Will was not the same Sylvia sitting in the KH on that Wednesday night.

Sylvia

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Snow, it sounds like that Missouri Representative woman, she's not a lady, that thinks they should do away with the program that feeds underprivileged children during the summer. She says hunger is a motivator and that when they are 16 the kids can just work for McDonald and get free lunch there. Pearls before swine. I detest that attitude.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit