Automobile Questions for the Guys

by Robdar 74 Replies latest jw friends

• Robdar
    Robdar

Warlock:

The best way to keep your car new, is to keep it garaged as much as possible.

Good advice.

I do not have a garage and I am not happy about that.

I brought the vehicle home 2 nights ago during a tornado watch and threatening skies. I prayed all the way home it wouldn't hail. We are expecting more severe weather tonight. The midwest is sooo much fun this time of year.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Use a sealant on new car finishes. Reapply one or twice a year depending on weather conditions. Apply by hand yourself, unless you really despise labor or really want to pay someone else. It doesn't really need any tools, hand application and wipe off is fine.

Interior kinda depends. ArmorAll is good for plastic and vinyl, once a month in hot/sunny climates. Leather really needs specific leather cleaner and conditioner. Try to avoid bare skin (shorts/tank tops) on leather if you're a nut for perfection over the long run. Instructions on bottle - usually dark leather wants cleaning twice a year, light colors may need more depending on interior traffic.

• Robdar
    Robdar

DJK:

Do some research about the paint your vehicle manufacturer used. I don't know if there is any truth to this, but I was told some paints should not be waxed within the first year. My last two trucks I didn't wax for a year and they kept a very good shine anyway.

I will most certainly check that out.

My wife took the interior protection plan when she bought her Toyota Prius. I was never impressed with it. They sprayed the interior fabrics and that was supposed to protect from stains. They stained anyway. Then the dealer was supposed to replace the stained materials. Fine, but who wants to leave their car at the dealership for a few days just for a small coffee stain?

I was offered the same deal and a rental car if they had to replace the stained seats. I was still suspicious of the offer. Probably because I was hungry and worn down by the time the offer came. I've learned one thing from this experience: Do not, I repeat, do not let the car salesmen near you. Go window shopping on a Sunday when the dealership is closed and the "wolves" are in their cages.

Seat covers might be your best bet.

Nice suggestion. I will look into them.

Thanks!

• Warlock
    Warlock

Robdar,

You might want to look into buying a car cover, but if you don't want to, just make sure to have the car detailed 2 or 3 times a year.

By the way, you can't go wrong with a Toyota, or Honda for that matter.

At least you are helping the environment with the Yaris.

I bet most of the Left-Wing Wackos here drive SUV's.

Warlock

• Robdar
    Robdar

Robdar..You did the right thing..Good move..............................OUTLAW

Thanks, Outlaw. I feel like I looked out for myself pretty well. I didn't lose my cool or bow to pressure. And boy, was there a lot of pressure.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Rodabar....you dickens you,....why didn't you include girls?

• Robdar
    Robdar

Voideater:

Use a sealant on new car finishes. Reapply one or twice a year depending on weather conditions. Apply by hand yourself, unless you really despise labor or really want to pay someone else. It doesn't really need any tools, hand application and wipe off is fine.

Awesome-- I am glad to know there are such products available. Do you have a suggestion for a name brand sealant?

Interior kinda depends. ArmorAll is good for plastic and vinyl, once a month in hot/sunny climates. Leather really needs specific leather cleaner and conditioner. Try to avoid bare skin (shorts/tank tops) on leather if you're a nut for perfection over the long run. Instructions on bottle - usually dark leather wants cleaning twice a year, light colors may need more depending on interior traffic.

This is good to know and I thank you.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Warlock:

You might want to look into buying a car cover, but if you don't want to, just make sure to have the car detailed 2 or 3 times a year.

I have a car cover I bought for my Tercel. I never could get that thing to stay on during high winds. Maybe I should keep looking. It bothers me that the car covers available do not have any padding to protect against hail damage. A couple of months ago, I tried making a prototype but couldn't quite get it to work. I may have to try again during my vacation.

By the way, you can't go wrong with a Toyota, or Honda for that matter.

Yah, Toyota is a good car. It is the best brand I have ever owned.

I first went to a Ford dealership because I am proud of them for not accepting bail out money and besides, my dad is a Ford man and he was really wanting me to get one.

I had test driven a 2007 model with low miles and then decided I wanted to test drive a new car. While we were waiting for the car to be pulled up, the salesman said something really odd. He told me that he would get me the best deal because I was such a nice gal. He said if I had come in with an attitude, he would have stuck it to me. He then bragged about how he screws over some of the men who come in with a know it all attitude. I kid you not--he really said this to me. I got to thinking that if he screwed over men, he would screw me twice as hard. And likely as not, he wouldn't kiss me first.

I tried to get away but they had the keys to my Tercel and were test driving it. I sat at the table waiting for my car and they kept throwing paperwork at me. I finally had to tell them that I might purchase a Ford but it wasn't going to be from them. It almost got ugly.

At least you are helping the environment with the Yaris.

Thank you. I feel the same way. Yaris is so good with gas mileage. The Toyota dealership even filled up the tank for me. I've driven almost 50 miles and the gauge hasn't moved. It's a sweet little car and I recommend it to anybody.

I bet most of the Left-Wing Wackos here drive SUV's.

Hehheeeee. Most left wing wackos I know do drive SUV's. I wonder how they reconcile themselves without going completely mad?

• Robdar
    Robdar

Restrangled:

Rodabar....you dickens you,....why didn't you include girls?

Because in my real life, my girlfriends were not at all interested in any vehicle I tried talking to them about. The men, otoh, were immediately interested and full of advice.

I meant no insult. I hope the gals chime in too.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> I turned down the dealership's offer of the appearance protection package which included a paint sealant to protect against fading, discoloring and loss of gloss

If you had bought that, I would have offered you Afterlife Insurance. For a small sum of 10% of your income I would guarantee that after you died you would enjoy an eternity of blissful existence in heaven.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit