"Bearing Thorough Witness" book: New light about Governing Body

by kurtbethel 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

They are NOT your leaders!

Here it is, in print, on page 110 above the picture of "the nine".

"The Governing Body relies on God's holy spirit for direction. Its members do not regard themselves as the leaders of Jehovah's people."

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

Witnesses will read that and use it to prove to people that they don't follow men. I know I used to reason like that.

BF

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Then why does the Watchtower state that the "other sheep" follow the Governing Body?

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

So, if the Governing Body are not the leaders of Jehovah's Witnesses, does that mean that JWs can disagree with their decisions? Or that JWs are free to decide things locally? Can the local congregation decide if it wants to continue the Congregation Book Study in local homes? Or, can the local congregation decide to sing different songs at meetings than what is listed in the Kingdom Ministry and Watchtower?

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel
    Then why does the Watchtower state that the "other sheep" follow the Governing Body?

Oh that is old light, right along with celebrating Christmas, Cross & Crown, generation teaching, and everything else fallen by the wayside. The light gets brighter and brighter.

• blondie
    blondie

(Matthew

It is probably a matter of vocabulary so they can get around this scripture.

*** w07 4/1 p. 21 par. 1 Loyal to Christ and His Faithful Slave ***"YOU must not let people call you ‘leaders’—you have only one leader, Christ!" (Matthew 23:10, TheNewTestamentinModernEnglish) With these words, Jesus made it plain to his followers that no man on earth would be their leader. Their one Leader would be heavenly—Jesus Christ himself. Jesus holds this position by divine appointment

• wobble
    wobble

Another blatant lie .

• reniaa
    reniaa

blondie you need to get your scriptures more correct.

Matthew 23:10 (New King James Version)

10 And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ.

Matthew 23:10 (English Standard Version)

10 Neither be called instructors, for you have one instructor, ( A ) the Christ.

the word is more accurately teacher but look at the scripture before it.

Matthew 23:9 (New King James Version)

9 Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven.

Should we not call our fathers "father"?

Jesus uses hyperbole sometimes in scriptures like this next one.

"If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and throw it away; it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell" (Matt. 5:29 should we pluck out or right eyes if we look at someone lustfully?

Hyperbole (pronounced /ha?'p??b?li/ hye-PER-buh-lee; "HYE-per-bowl" is a common mispronunciation) comes from ancient Greek "?περβολ?" (meaning excess or exaggeration) and is a figure of speech in which statements are exaggerated. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is rarely meant to be taken literally.

and Blonde you are taking 'CALLING' them a particular name beyond it's meaning as well.

so by your judgement not only should we not call people father we shouldn't have fathers either?

so we cannot only not call people teacher but not have teachers too?

this is all about humility and recognition of Gods position as our ultimate 'Father' and Jesus's postion as our Great 'Teacher'

The greek scriptures addressed the thought behind this

1 Corinthians 1:11-15 (New International Version)

11 My brothers, some from Chloe's household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. 12 What I mean is this: One of you says, "I follow Paul"; another, "I follow Apollos"; another, "I follow Cephas [ a ] "; still another, "I follow Christ."

13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into [ b ] the name of Paul? 14 I am thankful that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15 so no one can say that you were baptized into my name.

this is why there are 8 gb members in line with there being a group of appostles as leaders so that none can have a position in peoples eyes that would detract from Jehovah's or Jesus's superior postions. Leadership without self-glorification is the name of the day for god's people! maybe something the Pope should work on ^^.

How many on here have only come to know the gb members name from this website even after years in the witnesses and never had the names of the leaders constantly refered too?

Acts 1:20-26 (New International Version)

20 "For," said Peter, "it is written in the book of Psalms,
    " 'May his place be deserted;
    let there be no one to dwell in it,' [ a ] and,
    " 'May another take his place of leadership.' [ b ] 21 Therefore it is necessary to choose one of the men who have been with us the whole time the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, 22 beginning from John's baptism to the time when Jesus was taken up from us. For one of these must become a witness with us of his resurrection."

23 So they proposed two men: Joseph called Barsabbas (also known as Justus) and Matthias. 24 Then they prayed, "Lord, you know everyone's heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen 25 to take over this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he belongs." 26 Then they cast lots, and the lot fell to Matthias; so he was added to the eleven apostles.

The gb are making it clear that while they have the direction to take care and lead the flock until Jesus returns they are not leaders instead of Jesus whom we are all answerable to as our King and Jehovah who is Jesus's head. the gb are just caretakers of the household as jesus later words in the next chapter refers too in parable.

matthew 24 : 45 "Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? 46 It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns. 47 I tell you the truth, he will put him in charge of all his possessions. 48 But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, 'My master is staying away a long time,' 49 and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. 50 The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. 51 He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Reniaa

• wobble
    wobble

Thanks for the Matt.23 v10 scripture Reniaa, so obviously from that it would be wrong to look to the GB, or any men for teachings.

So we as followers of Christ, and worshippers of the true God, have no need of the WTBS or their publications.

Thanks,

Love

Wobble

• blondie
    blondie

I guess the scripture got cut off. It is from the NWT:

(Matthew

23:10)10 Neither be called ‘leaders,’ for YOUR Leader is one, the Christ.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit