Very confused-help please

by hatchetsup 45 Replies latest jw friends

• poppers
    poppers

Like reniaa said, this not a place to find religion, most notably JWism, but it is a place to indulge unbridled curiosity, unlike JWism.

Sorry to hear about your loss. From my understanding (gained here) the JWs bank on such circumstances to rope people back into their grip, playing upon the vulnerability such situations often bring.

There is much here that will give you comfort, much that will make you laugh, and much that will educate you. Enjoy yourself, and don't jump into anything without considerable thought and consideration first simply because you are feeling uncertain about some things. Use this time to explore and expand your view of life. If you just quickly return to the witnesses that inborn trait of exploration will be systematically stifled.

Lastly, welcome to the board.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life
    i read posts on here and i get goosebumps from it, dont know if that sounds stupid, but i do, lol. i guess becuase we all have this in common and it takes longer for some things to surface, but all my memories are flashing back. i was talking to my wife about this site tonight and telling her all kinds of things from my childhood that ive never told her before and she was shocked.

I have had the exact same experience. In my case, I really can't talk to my husband about it. The whole JW thing is just beyond his comprehension. Whenever I have talked about things he just looks at me with a blank face because he doesn't have any idea what I'm talking about. He has nothing to relate it to.

I have recently told a very good friend of mine that I was raised as JW. It's the first time ever that I've ever told a friend. Being on this board has allowed me to not keep it all bottled up anymore.

This board is the only place I know to talk about these very significant experiences of my childhood because the people on this board have been there too.

• dinah
    dinah

When I started telling Mr. Dinah some things about growing up JW he just couldn't believe some of it. He thinks it's some of the craziest stuff he's ever heard.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Welcome hatchetsup. Never forget that freedom of choice is something that once under JW influence can be very hard to get back. You were never baptized, therefore never a JW. Be careful when down due to a traumatic loss, of getting in the sphere of influence of ANY controlling group. It is dangerous as the people who want to control have little understanding or concern for you as a person. They always have their own agendas. There are very few things as dangerous as being under the influence of those who would control you for your supposed own good.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Hi and welcome. It is good that you are allowing yourself to get several opinions from all sides before jumping to any decisions.

The question you ask is really a rhetorical fallacy. What if the JWs are right, you will miss out on paradise. Doubting members of all religions could ask that very question, and I am sure many do and end up back in the religion of their birth. There are over 30,000 Christian religions alone, so the chance of it being the only true religion is almost impossibly small.

There is an article at http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/salvation.htm that discusses your question, and at the bottom is a great SouthPark clip that you should watch. It will help you appreciate that the concept of a single true religion is illogical.

• homeschool
    homeschool

Yes, deprogram...that's a tough one. Its tough to quit calling it "the truth" when making simple sentences.... its little things/statements like these that keep us mentally "in". There are many truths, and you need to find the one that feels best in your heart. Crisis of Conscience is definitely a must read. Welcome to the board! You are certainly not alone anymore :-) ....and while some go through phases of anger on here (myself included), many of us just want to love and be loved. You will be just fine

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit