Very confused-help please

by hatchetsup 45 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Only 32..You missed Armageddon..It was supposed to happen in 1975....But..Was cancelled due to lack of interest............................LOL!!...OUTLAW

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

You'll love us and we will love you. All of us have our stories. Welcome to the real world. And it's not bad.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Welcome, great site, great people, ask anything and you will get plenty of answers <and opinions>

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

It's time to get some perspective on your JW experience.

I suggest you may want to begin by reading "Crisis of Conscience" by Raymond Franz. A real eye opener.

More than anything take your time in reassessing the JWs and realize that you can listen to both sides. Don't buy into the idea that you can only listen to JWs and nobody else. You're more than able to listen and objectivly weigh evidence and arguments that JWs (and ex-jws) will give.

You may also find it useful to learn a bit more about apocalyptic movements in general. You'll find out that the JWs are not nearly as unique as you may think they are (for example one striking feature of apocalyptic movements is how they tend to teach people that they "cannot trust their own judgement" and instead have to rely upon God, which conveneintly means following their beliefs)

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

Sorry about your grandma.

If there's one thing for certain in this life, eventually we lose everyone we love.

You will find all the information you need here online. No need for a study with JW's. If you ever decided to join their club, you'd have to sacrifice your real self for a cult self. There is nothing wrong with the way you are now and Armageddon is just a concept (and over ever mentioned ONCE in the scriptures, you'd think something that was so momentous would have a little bit more verses dedicated to it....).Also, if there was an all powerful God who really cared about us, it would be very easy to let us know that. Right now, the silence is deafening. The onus is on him to be in touch, not us as lowly humans who haven't a clue whether he's there or not.

(If you do have a study/go to a meeting, you'll no doubt be 'love-bombed' and then they'll drop you like a hot potato as soon as you're not interested again. Shallow relationships are us).

Enjoy the present, it is the most incredible gift from the Universe and all that's guaranteed (while we have it).

• Quandry
    Quandry

Welcome.

Just don't be hasty. You've suffered a blow due to a death in the family. It has made you ask some questions. I know that the JW brand of religion is all you've ever known, so it is logical to start there.

Please inform yourself, through this board, and other sources, such as crisis of conscience, as was suggested.

Vinny, a poster here, recently listed some of the changes the WTS made over the years. You may want to read:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/129368/1/For-Current-JWs-Watchtower-Society-Examined

Also, lately they have changed the doctrine of "this generation" several times. You may recall they always said that some of the ones who were alive in 1914 were the generation that would not pass away until the big A. Well, they changed who the generation is TWO times in the last ten or so years. They obviously had to find something new, as the generation that "would not pass away" has been doing exactly that!!!

Also-as one poster said, and it helped me alot-Better to have questions that you can't answer than answers you can't question.

Wishing you success.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

There is no Armageddon and no paradise on earth that awaits JWs.

I absoulutely understand wanting to go back to this part of your past at this point after your grandmother died. I'm sorry about your loss. It's hard when that happens.

My mother died 13 months ago and that event brought me to these boards also. I had not been a JW in over 30 years but her death caused me to want to try to understand why my parents had raised my sister and myself in this cult. I wanted to understand. In my case, I have no doubts about the JWs teachings being total lies and I would not recommend a Bible Study with them. But it's your choice.

This board has helped me immensely. Keep reading and posting. We understand where you're coming from.

If you are interested in a religion or church, I would recommend a church that has a contemporary service and various types of small groups where you can get to know other people and question things about death and what happens after that. I go to a Methodist church. Other people have mentioned that the Episcopal Church is a good place to go and explore hard quesions. Also, there are many non-denominational churches that have many attendees under the age of 35. Some churches have grief recovery groups.

And welcome to the board.

• reniaa
    reniaa

hi hatchetup

this is an ex-Jw site you will only get anti-witness rhetoric on here. this is not a place to find religion they do not offer that on here.

If you want to learn about religion Jw's or any other I do not recommend sites like this one.

Nothing beats personal experience Look into the Religions you are curious over. Give yourself time and make the choice from knowledge of your own.

I hope you do well in your search, I personally found the Jw's to be God's true religion at this time but this is something only you can find from your own exploration, no one can make that choice for you unless you let them.

Reniaa

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Welcome... We understand... you are not alone... you just need to deprogram... you have been in a cult... we have been there.

You might want to check out my videos and the links on my youtube page....

www.youtube.com/exgileadmissionary

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I am very sorry for the loss of your Grandma. Losses like that definitely make us wonder and want to know the answers as to what happens to us when we die. Spiritual questions abound.

But wow...am I glad you found "us", HatchetsUp! Keep reading!

Love,
    Baba

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit