Christians risk rejection and discrimination for their faith in Britain.

by BurnTheShips 72 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• besty
    besty

I also think un-promoted Christians are fully entitled to use any trick in the book to account for why they are un-promoted. There has been decades of of this behaviour from other minority groups, so why not give Christians an opportunity to join in the fun? After all they are as entitled as anybody else to blame someone else for their un-promotedness.

The article in The Telegraph leads by stating the survey subjects believe their lack of promotion is due to their faith. Given that they also believe a magick man in the sky gonna solve all their other problems in this live or the next this is not a big stretch, but makes the premise of this article flawed, fatally.

Full disclosure - I am currently an unemployed agnostic - it's probably my own fault :-)

• beksbks
    beksbks
    Perhaps the christians who are being persecuted merely go to work wearing a modest cross around their neck. That's enough to target them as Christian. Perhaps they cross themselves and pray before eating lunch. That's enough to target them as Christian.

But that is not the case Ann. Evangelising is specifically mentioned.

• dinah
    dinah

If Christians would adopt a more "live and let live" attitude instead of the "You're going straight to hell if you don't do what I say" attitude we'd all get along better.

It is annoying to people to hear preachiness at work. If I want to get preached to, I'd go to church.

Oh yeah, Sky Daddy expects them to make converts.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Bro man, I did not say I don't know much about my coworkers, I said their religion and sexual orientation are not readily apparent. Where do you live, the bible belt?

So you don't find those pictures unacceptable for young children to see unasked as they go about thier business?

You may want to work on that respect thing guy.

Hey are you married?

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I saw the picture of the aborted babies and thought of how certain factions of our government felt it important not even to show (0ut of respect) the coffins of those who die in combat. Others felt that displaying such things was just a way to hide the ugly reality of war.

Interestingly, the opposing factions (although certainly not all of those factions, but a representative group) have exactly the opposite feelings about showing aborted babies (fetuses). I think that is an intersting dichotomy, but not a surprising one. Showing the ugliness of abortion or war can change people's feelings about either one.

In the interest of fairness, today, looking at this post is the first time I ever saw such a picture of an aborted fetus. I have throughout my life seen depictions of the coffins of war dead (less incindiery altogether, IMO.), both in the media and personally.

Sorry to be OT, but this picture surprised me out of a malaise I have on the subject of abortion.

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

this thread is not about pro-life adverts

Re: Christians risk rejection and discrimination for their faith in Britain.
  • passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

So, if a Christian talks about their faith at work, that's grounds for discrimination or bullying?

This thread reminds me of one of those talks we'd always get at District Conventions whereby the counsel is always for those who have been maligned within the congregation. You know, "excerise the fruits of the spirit when your fellow brothers treat you like crap" etc. The counsel isn't ever for those doing the maligning.

So, rather than this thread being about those who are discriminating (and yes, I realise the articles says the Christians believe they're being maligned), it's about what the Christians must have done to deserve maligning.

What about the notion that, at times, the UK can have a bullying culture?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Incidentally, this morning I happened to be in a nearby town with my daughter for a couple of hours. We entered the (Catholic) church during mass and the (young) priest was specifically addressing a group of teenagers (for 1st communion I suppose), discussing the "difficulty" of sharing their faith in a multi-cultural / secular context. He reported the advice on his bishop about this: "Only speak of your faith when people ask you about it; but behave in such a way that you are often asked."

This reminded me of the present thread. I felt it sounded like a good and bad idea at the same time. On the one hand it was a good advice about not pushing religion on people. But on the other hand it tends to make display of "Christian behaviour" a strategical means to an end, which may not be much better.

It is definitely not easy for "universal monotheisms" (Christianity and Islam) to question their conquering attitude.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Why do christians feel they have the right to evangelise in every possible setting? Why do they consider themselves "maligned" when asked not to do so in the workplace?

• besty
    besty

This reminds me of when our 1st baby was due - Sweet Pea 'needed' a C-Section as the baby was breech. 98% of breech deliveries could be undertaken naturally without a problem. BUT for the 2% that have additional problems the National Health Service in the UK make every breech birth a C-Section procedure.

Its's lowest common denominator. I believe the vast majority of conversations about religion in the workplace are completely harmless. It seems that the current way society at large wants to deal with the tiny minority of problems is to legislate - a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

I think anybody wishing to discuss their faith should start or join a group (online or offline) specifically for that purpose - like we are doing here and now - there will be less opportunity for allegations of bullying or discrimination if everybody has voluntarily joined such a group.

The workplace is for work ultimately - not a captive audience for conversion to your belief system.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit