Christians risk rejection and discrimination for their faith in Britain.

by BurnTheShips 72 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• beksbks
    beksbks
    It seems that the current way society at large wants to deal with the tiny minority of problems is to legislate - a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Re the tiny minority, I think it may depend on your geographical location. I found it very prevalent at both of my workplaces when I lived in central California. Not at all where I am at now, closer to the Bay Area.

I worked at a bank many years ago. I was at a very difficult point in my life, and one day at work, I just couldn't hold it together, and keep from crying. I decided to go home, and my supervisor (a very overt Christian) was helping me get my cash drawer put together and locked up. We were in the vault, just he and I, which was about the size of a small closet. He said "Can I pray for you?". I thought he meant next time he was at church, or had an opportunity. I said yes and thank you, etc. He bowed his head and began to pray out loud. Talk about awkward moments! He was a nice guy, and we had a good working friendship, but I find that sort of thing completely inappropriate. No one should think that sort of thing is ok in the workplace. I was put in a position to say sure you can pray for me, but I never should have been asked.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    So, if a Christian talks about their faith at work, that's grounds for discrimination or bullying?
    This thread reminds me of one of those talks we'd always get at District Conventions whereby the counsel is always for those who have been maligned within the congregation. You know, "excerise the fruits of the spirit when your fellow brothers treat you like crap" etc. The counsel isn't ever for those doing the maligning.
    So, rather than this thread being about those who are discriminating (and yes, I realise the articles says the Christians believe they're being maligned), it's about what the Christians must have done to deserve maligning.
    What about the notion that, at times, the UK can have a bullying culture?

I believe only bullies deserve to be bullied. I don't think anybody here is saying that

So, if a Christian talks about their faith at work, that's grounds for discrimination or bullying?

It's that we don't have all of the information but sometimes if Christians are vocal about what they believe others might feel uneasy around them. How would you react if you would work with a very vocal xenophobe? Would you be surprised if this person was fired? This person might feel discriminated against because of their belief.

• nelly136
    nelly136

so am i right in thinking that the result in the 1000's from the survey is actually based on just 512 people who took part in the survey?

• besty
    besty
    so am i right in thinking that the result in the 1000's from the survey is actually based on just 512 people who took part in the survey?

Yep - interview 512 known Christians who have a job and infer from that sample the number of working Christians in England who could reasonably be expected to have had a similar experience. Standard survey methodology.

What's more interesting to me is who paid for the survey and who framed the questions - both factors would significantly affect the results.

I said yes and thank you, etc. He bowed his head and began to pray out loud. Talk about awkward moments! He was a nice guy, and we had a good working friendship, but I find that sort of thing completely inappropriate. No one should think that sort of thing is ok in the workplace. I was put in a position to say sure you can pray for me, but I never should have been asked.

Male supervisor sees opportunity to offer comfort to visibly distressed female worker in a secluded environment - you were lucky it wasn't a different sort of harrassment. Totally innapropriate.

People need to learn the basics of what is and isn't acceptable to discuss at work - also who with and when. As this is impossible for some true believers and the objects of their attentions file complaints, said true believers will of course believe they are being persecuted for their beliefs. Not that they have behaved in a way that some of the people some of the time will find objectionable. They will utilize myriad self-deception techniques to keep alive their own myth of self-righteousness and self-worth. The need to be right is strong and that usually means someone else is wrong.

In the meantime the nanny State will attempt to legislate the problem away. This is a good thing, as hopefully the WTS and other high control groups will be forced to modify other objectionable practices such as shunning and coercive baptisms of minor children.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Sorry but I think that this newspaper article is absolute rubbish...Perhaps it is sour grapes from inadequate people who failed to get promoted. Sure , if you waste the employers time "evangelising" , they will think less of you, is that not sensible?

I have worked many years in an office. Guess what ? Women got equal promotions as men. People worked together, We had all major faiths , Hindu, Muslim, Christian - no problem ..

BTW .Mainstream Islam is not a threat to anyone, and it promotes good values in people

• nelly136
    nelly136

looks like the evangelicals and charismatics had by far the higher numbers of those interviewed compared to other denominations, shame they couldnt have rounded up the same amount of each group instead of being so lopsided.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I think the Abortion picture is disgusting but for other reasons than beks I guess. Pictures like this made me start to research what a fetus is and lead to my current position against elective abortion for contraceptive purposes.

Someone commented that children will see this. I wish it were not so. However, I would much rather millions of children see these horrible pictures than millions of children suffer what these horrible pictures depict.

What amazes me more is that the abortionists here are more scandalized by a graphic display of this abhorrent practice than they are by the practice itself--which is what creates these horrible images.

What a crazy world it is.

Anti-war proponents have long brought the horrible reality of war to light through thought provoking, graphic images. A picture is worth a thousand words, this is no different.

BTS

• beksbks
    beksbks

Children have no idea what it all means. Herein lies what I find incredibly hypocritical on the part of anti abortion activists. You are more concerned with a senseless unaware fetus, than you are with a living, breathing, hurting, scared or confused child.

I believe with all my heart, that the outrage by many anti abortionists has it's genus in feeling self righteous and looking to get that ticket to heaven. The world is full of pain and death, but a mystery fetus that you will never be responsible for is so much easier to champion, than the guy down the street with a name and a recognizable face.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    You are more concerned with a senseless unaware fetus, than you are with a living, breathing, hurting, scared or confused child.

Of course that is not true! I just received my packet in the mail for foster care. It must have arrived while I was away.

I believe with all my heart, that the outrage by many anti abortionists has it's genus in feeling self righteous and looking to get that ticket to heaven.

Too bad that your heart is wrong, and that the depth of your feeling does not make you right. Some never expect to go to heaven and realize what is at stake anyway. My Catholic friends that pray at these clinics, including my father and mother, pray for mercy for those women, for mercy for the wielders of the knives, for mercy for the little innocent souls that will have their bodily lives stripped from them. That God has mercy on them and forgives them for what they are doing.

http://www.godlessprolifers.org/home.html

You are on the wrong side of history. Future generations will look back on this age with the horror with which we look back at some now abolished practices. Christians were at the forefront of the abolitionist movment in the USA and apparently, by your wrong-headed calculus, they self-righteously thought it would get them into heaven. I am happy we still have these "types" around.

BTS

• Brocephus
    Brocephus

OK so the liberals want my kids to know about oral sex, condoms and gay marriage before 10 but they can't handle the truth about abortion?

I am sure there are some self-righteous jerks in the pro-life movement but there is no shortage of folks like that on either side of any issue. The brush you paint with is quite broad. My problem with you beks is you refuse to believe that Anti-abortionist or anyone that has faith is coming from and honest place. I don't assume pro-choicers are cold blooded murders. I can understand how both sides have come to their conclusions, but understanding and agreeing are too different things.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit