Super serious question

by 5thGeneration 50 Replies latest jw friends

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

(Scott, "shrink" is a slang term for a psychiatrist, a psychologist, in general a mental health counselor.)

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

5th Gen, I feel your pain, I really do. I have had the same thoughts, semi-suicidal thoughts, just last night because of feeling so trapped, and so lost, no matter what I do. I actually had a panic attack at the KH and went and sat in the car, even though I wanted to run. (I still go to keep peace in the fam, at least for now, slow changes happening). There's nothing worse than feeling helpless. I've been in therapy for the last year and it helps so much just being able to speak your thoughts out loud in a non-judgmental atmosphere. The point is, help is available. I feel so much better this morning. You will too, eventually. You will get through this, but don't try to do it alone.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Wow, 5th generation. My deepest empathies... I didn't lose a family member [yet] to the JW dogma, but I dang near lost myself. I was at the point of seriously considering suicide when I realized either the organization [WTBTS] had to go [out of my life], or I would 'go'...

All of my family members still in the WTBTS were/are having emotional/depression-type problems.

My personal solution was to read every single book on the JWs I could get my hands on: "30 Years a Watchtower Slave", "Out of the Cocoon", "Awakening of a Jehovah's Witness", Steve Hassan's book on cult control [?? title??]... An oldie I read when I was 9, "Armageddon Around the Corner" by William J. Whalen, a Catholic layman, helped crack the control of the WTBTS early, although I blush to admit I went another 20 years in the WTBTS before I finally jumped ship...

But the single book that helped me the most was Ray Franz' book, "Crisis of Conscience". VERY well written, with a true insider's eye for the inner workings of the WTBTS. A real eye-opener...

My very best hopes that you become aware of your own personal [high] value, that your survival instinct kicks in [mine did, that's what saved me!] and that you have nice, clear eyes, a clear-thinking brain, and a healthy emotional/mental/physical life very soon! Zid

• restrangled
    restrangled

Glad you are posting again 5th.

A good counselor or therapist will understand the situation. They don't need a background read up on the JW's.

Please get to someone as soon as possible and be as open as possible. I went in my 30's. It did me a world of good. I learned what happened was considered"spiritual rape".

All the best to you, and keep us posted if you care to.

r.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

My cousin was told by her JW mom and dad that she was "dead" as far as they were concerned. She's strong - and she has built a good life and a nice family for herself.

People don't commit suicide because of outside circumstances. They commit suicide because they lack the resilience to withstand what life hands them. This is not to be taken as a criticism - it is more of a call to fortify oneself and build resilience. Life is damned tough. Survivors have to be tougher.

• Brocephus
    Brocephus

First off I am sorry to hear about your loss.

I don't have much in the way of books but I did go through a 4-day program in 2004 that helped me a lot. I had guilt, anger, pain all of the stuff you are going through and this helped me a lot. I think you are in California and the next dates there are in August in LA but here in Texas we hold it once a month. The website is www.lifeenrichmentbootcamp.com there is a psychologist endorsement in one of the video clips. It might be good to share this with anyone you are seeing as well. If you are up for it I would be more than happy to buy your ticket.

If you have any questions email me at [email protected] I meet about 1 or 2 ex JW's every month at this event and they get a lot of healing.

Either way, good luck I'll be praying for your healing.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Hope your having a better day today,

Let us know,

purps

• minimus
    minimus

5th, PLEASE run to a therapist. Forget about a book right at this time. You need to be around loving caring people who have your interests at heart.

• parakeet
    parakeet

BizzyBee: People don't commit suicide because of outside circumstances. They commit suicide because they lack the resilience to withstand what life hands them. This is not to be taken as a criticism - it is more of a call to fortify oneself and build resilience. Life is damned tough. Survivors have to be tougher.

Clinical depression with suicial ideation is a serious mental illness that requires immediate attention from medical professionals. Telling a sufferer simply to "fortify oneself" is like telling a cancer victim to just "get over it." It's a real illness that can and sometimes does result in death. Telling the victim to cure him/herself is useless and cruel.

This is to be taken as a criticism.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Please check in, 5thGen. We're watching this thread to hear from you...

and I hope you found your PM.

Love,
    Baba.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit