Super serious question

by 5thGeneration 50 Replies latest jw friends

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Hi there 5thG. My brother took his own life over 10 years ago. It was a direct result of having a JW world view and being confused, feeling helpless and disillusioned. I feel horrible that you are in such pain.

I am glad that you made this known. There have already been some great suggestions by the posters above, and it seems that if you can find it in yourself to let a mental health pro know how you feel, and what you have been thinking, that would be the best thing, for sure. I read Rebel8's material, and it is pretty good. Perhaps that material can help your therapist if you get help.

Beyond that, I am really pulling for you. I am not qualified to give a whole lot of advice other then seeking some help. I can tell you that to focus on yourself a bit is what you need, and that if you can follow through, you will have some better days ahead.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Personally, I would say let the doc do thier job, and don't try to direct them to the JW issue. If the doc has an ounce of worth, they will figure that part it out within two sessions. Do go, it's good to feel like someone else is sharing the load.

• yknot
    yknot

Steve Hassan's book is highly praised by many.....

Have you considered contacting your state's board to get a list of counselors in your area that deal with cults?

Don't forget to discuss with your therapist if they feel they are capable of helping you through this tribulation, if they are not then ask them to refer you to another until you find one that meets your needs.

Also bear in mind you are not alone and don't need to face this alone, lean on us collectively when you need support, reassurance or just a few cyber hugs.

Consider some of the following outside of therapy:

1. Do you have any pets who need and love you..... if not then I have noticed they tend to aid in healing.

2. Make sure you get out too in your community.... being active helps us to make new support systems, see ourselves through non-JW eyes and realize the limitations of the JW society. Consider volunteering because helping another is also a way of helping ourselves.

3. Make plans too! Maybe plan to go somewhere exotic or to achieve some small goal and then reward yourself generously.

4.Exercise regularly too to boost seratonin levels!

Yknot...... (many similarities to my Aunt too hugs)

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

I never knew that, Baba, that Rebel 8 and Beth S are one and the same! WOW! She SAVED me! My friend "anonymously" mailed me her book three years ago when I was stuck in (I recognized the writing on the package as his) and I read the title, stuffed it under my bed for a week, and then stewed over it. You know, we can't read that apostate drivel. My friend sent it to me because he knew I was struggling with the whole thing; I was active but terribly miserable. I read it. I cried my eyes out, because somebody understood the pain I was going through, and finally I knew the reasons why I was so unhappy!

5thGeneration, I went to a therapist for a year. I didn't mention the JW's to her, or cults, or anything. It took me half a dozen sessions to even bring up my religion, and by the time I got around to admitting it was the JW's she already knew. My psychiatrist helped me save myself. I attempted suicide three years ago, but then called a friend for help and got to the hospital in time (obviously, here I am). It was the lowest moment of my life. I've been in that dark place again, but didn't succumb to it. 5thGeneration, YOU CAN FIGHT THIS. PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP.

Baba, you haven't found the right therapist yet, but they are out there! Like bekspks said. Don't lose heart!

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Goddess (and I have no doubt that your sign-on suits you very well!) I am so overwhelmed and so very happy you are here.

That is all.

Love to you,
    Baba.

• jabberwock
    jabberwock

Don't wait to find the right book. Make an appointment with a mental health professional as soon as possible. They are professionals with years of training and experience. You don't need to find someone who specifically deals with cults.

Despite what you may have heard, mental health professionals are very good at what they do. Remember that you can trust them because they want to help you and they have no other secret motives or hidden agendas. They will not judge you. They respect your privacy and will carefully guard it.

Some well-meaning, but misguided, friends or family members may try to discourage you from seeking help. You must ignore them.

You may find yourself making excuses for not seeking help from a professional or you may feel that it won't make a difference for you. You must work past these feelings and seek help anyway.

This forum does have a lot of experiences and can provide support, but it is not enough by itself. We are not professionals and, for the most part, we are experienced only with ourselves.

Like GoddessRachel said you can get over these feelings and you can feel happier with your life.

We all hope that do.

jabberwock

• parakeet
    parakeet

Forget about the book. This is a medical emergency. Get to a doctor NOW! Your family doctor will do. Tell him/her honestly what you're thinking about. They should respond appropriately with hospitalization (if needed), medications, and referrals to mental health professionals.

Suicidal thoughts are indicative of a mental/emotional disorder that requires IMMEDIATE treatment.

GO NOW!!!!!!

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Get a therapist now. He or she may want to Google Dr. Jerry Bergman and perhaps contact him by phone. Good luck!

As far as I know, he can be contacted at Northwest State College in Archbold O.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    I'm thinking of going to a shrink and was wondering what the best book to give them would be.

If your shrink doesn't 'get it', you should ask yourself if they are likely to be of benefit to you.

Ask them some questions about their background. For instance, I wouldn't want a shrink that was involved in a high control group themselves.

Good hunting

Chris

• Scott77
    Scott77

5thGeneration,

I do not know what to say but it obviously, it hurts to hear the C.O stated. What kind of guy is that? Please, can you clarify, what do you mean by 'shrink'. Who needs the book and for what reason or why? From here, I will be able to give some ideas. However, others have done and I believe all are insightful and please, give them a try.

Scott77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit