** Asking the Hard Questions **

by FlyingHighNow 73 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I picked up the Holy Trinity Episcopal Church June Newsletter today. This was included on Page 5. I was raised in the Episcopal church until the summer of 1970, when my mother moved us to Atlanta after her divorce from my Dad. She stopped taking us to church, much to my detriment. It's a healthy place to raise children. If Mom did anything right, she did religion right.

This is the scan. This is one of the biggest reasons I love the Episcopal Church of the Americas and a reason I recommend it as a healthy place for ex-witnesses, even atheists and especially agnostics:

AskingtheHardQuestions-1.jpg picture by paisleytothemax

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I want to note that the Episcopal Church does not disagree with Evolution. The church is ecuemenical. The church is mostly Universalist in it's leanings and inclusive, save a few conservative thinkers. They will serve you communion if you've been baptized, doesn't matter if you are an atheist or agnostic or have converted to Muslim, etc. You're welcome there.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

How have you been hurt by the church? Who speaks for God? Is the Bible true?

They do not mind if you answer Yes. Who knows? I don't believe it's all true.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi,

Cool questions :)

Are the answers on the other side or do they leave you guessing?

All the best,

Stephen

• Heaven
    Heaven

Is the Bible true?

FlyingHighNow said: I don't believe it's all true.

I agree with you FlyingHighNow. Translation from Hebrew and Greek to another language can result in meanings being altered as has been observed with much debate over some scriptures.

Anything that subjugates a part of society is not good or loving, and therefore, cannot be "true". The Bible is used by the JWs to oppress and subjugate women. This is counter-productive and in contradiction to, not only the teachings of Jesus Christ, but also what Stephen Covey refers to as "true north principles".

Can "other" questions not on that list be asked or are they the only ones allowed? The only reason I ask is that I was told many years ago that the Witnesses can answer all my questions. They've never been able to. And what I have read regarding baptized Witnesses is, they are not allowed to ask questions. It seems to be a cult tactic. It's all good up front but once ensnared it's 'shut up and sit down'.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

The Episcopal church is part of the Anglican Communion, used to be Church of England until the American Revolution. It's not a cult. They welcome questions: any questions. The arch bishop of the Episcopal Church of the Americas is a woman. There are many women priests and deacons. Many former Roman Catholic priests are now Anglican or Episcopal priests because the church will allow them to marry and have families and is much more open and inclusive. The church is inclusive of gay clergy and members. About 5-10 % of the members don't like the inclusivity. They coexist right along with the members who are inclusive. Those questions I listed are just examples. You can ask any question. The church doesn't claim to be able to answer all of your questions. The reason the church is healthy for kids and grown ups is because of it's open mindedness. The church is more about spirituality and following Christ's example in love and kind acts than doctrine. They don't kick people out. Especially not for disagreeing with doctrine. The church does not use fear to motivate anyone.

The church recognizes that all people are on their own, unique spiritual journeys and they respect that. I posted this so you can see that some churches want you to talk about problems and disbelief and anything really. If you tell very strict fundamentalists that you are Episcopalian, they will get a very worried look on their faces and start stuttering. They don't like a church that doesn't try to control you or force you to believe a certain way. It scares them to think that a church would only try to motivate with you love.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

It might be resonably comfortable for a JW to transition to. Being High church, the Episcopal church has the formalized structure of worship a JW is comfortable with. I have heard JW complaints about Low church being too disorganized and chaotic.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

FHN

Forgive me for asking. What's the difference between this "church" and the local "pub"

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Kurt, the High Episcopal service is so beautiful and spiritual that some former JW's just think RITUAListic. The low services are still structured and beautiful. The great thing is the sermons are 10-20 minutes long and you get communion every time.

Dep, you won't be getting drunk or smoking during a service and I don't think it's a good place to find sexual conquests. Your moral responsibility rests squarely on your shoulders. It doesn't mean you have no moral responsibility. The church respects your intelligence, heart and conscience to learn with life and come to the right decisions yourself. We all pay consequences for the decisions we make and we also watch others pay the consequences for the decisions we make. A great life teacher, consequences. You see love in action and it moves you to want to be a better person. You don't need some screaming, controlling preacher yelling hell and destruction at you to motivate you. Goodness will do that. And kids are treated with respect and dignity. They take communion if they are baptized, even the babies and if they want to color or play or make noise, people are very kind and gentle with them. We give them halloween parties and easter egg hunts, christmas celebrations and sleep away camp for school aged kids. Very nice place for kids to see adults set good examples.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Dep, you won't be getting drunk or smoking during a service and I don't think it's a good place to find sexual conquests.

I guess I'll cancel my plans to visit that church, then.

Seriously though, I admire religions that allow such open thinking. A refreshing change from the thought control of the JWs and other cults.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit