How do you respond to the JW statement: "The First Century had congregations, preaching, Elders, Servants, C.O.'s, and so do we!

by BonaFide 32 Replies latest jw friends

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

*** w03 9/1 pp. 4-5 One True Christian Faith—A Reality ***

A Unified Congregation

We should not think of that first-century congregation as “a world-wide, universal, organized society such as we mean nowadays when we talk about the catholic church,” says The New Dictionary of Theology. Why not? “For the simple reason,” it says, “that such an organized, universal society scarcely existed.”

No one can rightly disagree with the fact that the early Christian congregation bore no resemblance to the institutionalized church systems we see today. But it was organized. Individual congregations did not operate independently of one another. They all recognized the authority of a governing body in Jerusalem. That body—consisting of the apostles and older men of the Jerusalem congregation—helped to preserve the unity of the congregation as the “one body” of Christ.—Ephesians 4:4, 11-16; Acts 15:22-31; 16:4, 5.

What happened to that one true congregation? Did it become the mighty Catholic Church? Did it evolve into the denominational, fragmented Protestant church system that we see today? Or did something else happen?

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

I find that cutting and pastng from wtlib ruins my post format if I put my comments in too so therefore this post. I was actually looking for the comment they once made that the first century Christians were not as organized as modern day dubs are. But I can't find it right now. (If someone else does I'd love to know where it is so I can bookmark it.) But the above one does show that they acknowledge occasionally that there could not have been the type of structures in the first century that are in place today. Funny what they refuse to recognize is that they are very much like the Catholic Church minus the accoutrements and titles preceding the names.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

BF,

First century Christian brothers got to wear togas to all the meetings!

B the X

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit