Drama Topic for 2009 DC. Here's the scoop.

by Open mind 44 Replies latest jw friends

• oompa
    oompa

All eyes will be glued as the pole-dancer daughter struggles to give up her high dollar career......during an inverted leg-slide she injures her wrist and feels it must be a sign from jehovah.....so she gives back all the money tucked in her thong and comes back to the meetings.........oompa

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Too funny oompa!!! Thanks for a laugh to start the day!

• undercover
    undercover
    ...a talk or little section in a talk on whether 1975 was a mistake.

Interesting, if true.

On one hand, it would be best to not bring the subject up. They've either brainwashed the majority of dubland into believing that they never prophesied or predicted anything firm for that date, or managed to cover it up so that newer dubs don't know anything anyway. Why not just keep quiet about it? Why defend what you've already covered up for the most part?

But OTOH, if they are willing to try to spin a new angle on it, revise history yet once again, it might be because that the dubs aren't so brainwashed afterall. Maybe too many are asking questions. Maybe too many realize that over 30 years has passed and nothing significant has happened. Maybe the Internet is taking its toll. Maybe the flood of DAd and inactive are sharing "apostate" info with many family and friends and its starting to make a dent.

What I can't see happening is them revisiting the apology phase of the mess. They tried to sneak out of it by putting blame on the friends for expecting too much to only have to apologize for that and to accept some blame for the expectation. They're too arrogant to revisit and rehash their mistakes of the past.

If this talk proves to be true, and the Society comes up with some new BS about that date, one thing is sure, "apostates" will dissect it and expose it as new lies quicker than you can say "Stay Alive till 75".

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Thanks for the heads-up regarding the drama. As a kid, I always preferred the full-costume dramas to the "modern day" ones.

And I would be SHOCKED if there is any mention of 1975 on the assembly. That's ancient history for almost all JWs. A large number of current JWs weren't even around in '75 and don't know the story. Why bring it up now? Makes no sense. Won't happen.

And oompa--nice job.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Hi undercover.

The source (if he's been reported accurately - this is second hand info) dropped it in during a meeting. He is heavily involved with the conventions - a big noise - heck, he might even have been assigned the talk dealing with it.

I also wondered 'why bring this up now?' But if indeed it is true, I think it would be a response to the frequent criticisms seen on the net. There would be revisionism and spin, no doubt. The recollections and accusations on the net will all be distortions or overblown (maybe they'll have an interview with someone who was there and who says 'It wasn't like they say'). Appeal will be made for the brothers to stick with the org and excuse its occasional overzealousness that really didn't do any 'true Christian' any lasting harm anyway - honestly.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I have been reading a JW site and recently there was a pretty big thread on their thoughts of 1975.

One JW got so upset over the thread he asked to be deleted from the board. Some feel that the org mislead and

others feel that those lower on the chain did the misleading.

I can see there being a talk on it, or a mention of it, It was never taught as doctrone as 1935 was.

There is too much murmuring among JW's, the organization is going to have to do something to stop that.

It will be interesting how shunning will be done in the drama concerning the two DF, will they play that down?

purps

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

It will be interesting how shunning will be done in the drama concerning the two DF, will they play that down?

Good question purps, they need to be a bit cautious on that since the general public is invited.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Bringing up 1975 surely would be a mistake..? The few JWs I've spoken to actually deny it 'happened' (the same JWs I remember as being hyped up at the time) - it's quite bizarre.

On another thread I read that 1975 was in the newspapers as being a 'JW prophesied date' - now, my thinking (as we know, the WT claimed that the JWs practically 'invented' 1975, and it - the WT - is totally innocent) is that the whole of Dubland should have been counselled by the GB/Elders/whoever for falsely promoting 1975 - the GB was aware that JWs were preaching this date!

• cognac
    cognac

they said, 'welcome back son' - well, they said it six months later, as they were forbidden to speak to him before then.

lol

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

Thanks for the scoop.

Whenever I asked my mom about 1975, her immediate words were, "Yeah, but the Society said it was sorry!". She was upset, and I stopped the conversation. It can be a touchy subject.

In my KH, the presiding overseer once stated that 1975 was the R/F's fault for being overzealous. I wasn't there at the time, but if I was... there's no way I could've kept quiet! This was about 3 years ago. I doubt they would bring it up in a DC..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit