Spiritual education of my son....

by Albert Einstein 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Sad Michael
    Sad Michael
    As a therapist and ex-jw, I fully understand that the deep psychological damage done by being a jw takes decades, possibly forever, to undo.
    You can't possibly understand that because you've never tried to undo the damage. Therefore, I'm curious what you believe your qualifications are to judge the difference between the two.

I'm no more qualifies than the Apostle Paul was, except for the fact that possibly the light has gotten brighter as the day approaches and the fact that the scripture he help write under inspiration are now complete until the new scrolls are opened. Might I ask how can you, as a therapist, hold your {although highly educated and supported by many colleages} opinion above that of God's words? Does not his word caution us against such reasoning and other firmly entrenched things? One of the main reasons I am "sad michael" is because of the loss of perspective by so many of Jehovah's sheep, botht those on the platform and off.

Why are you an "Ex" ?

We are at war..........if you don't think so go to a wicka website. Which side are you on?

There is much benefit in keeping your head in the sand ("what I don't know won't hurt me"), but as you do, the enemy that surrounds you will take a chunk of your ass, you just won't know it till your ass is gone. Look around and see that the real problems start in our own hearts and minds. Don't let them grow. By measuring out and examining ourselves first, we will realized the pitiable state we are in and have a deeper appreciation for those around us despite their shortcomings.

Be forgiving and be forgiven, Love and be loved,

Resent and be resented, Hate and be hated.

Which path do you choose??

• Sad Michael
    Sad Michael
    Post 91 of 91
    Since 3/12/2009

If it is not from God, it will surely die out, but if it is you may find yourself actually working against almighty God (Jehovah){ and one of his children.}

I just noticed this from Sad Michael....this reminds me of when they would say from the platform "so what if its not the truth? What harm is it for you to stay in? You will have lived a healthy, honest life surrounded by the most happy, loving people around." ......I need to just log off this site right now, no need to get pissy at 8:30a in the morning. Grrrrrrrr. Michael, do you realize just HOW MANY THINGS that are not from god that do NOT die out? And then young children grow up and realize too late what a waste their lives were? They realize how many really true, wonderful, kind souls they missed out on (i.e....extended family who are not jw's but who have so much love in their hearts)?????! I understand that, after you see the 2nd or 3rd question mark or exclamation mark, you will see that I am angry and your mind probably quit reading what I had to write (because you think "apostate"!). But look past the anger, Michael. And read all the other threads on here....it's so much more than anger. Its pure hurt. And sadness. Most of the people on here are some of the most pure, caring people and god loves them just the same. Nuff said.

I'm right there with you on the real pain and hurt. I think a good example of how we can get past it is to replace it with compassion, or your pain in my heart. (Jesus on the torture stake asking Jehovah to forgive the ones who put him there)

I can't imagine how bad I would feel if I was responsible for teaching something that was not the truth and having someone's life ruined because of it. Have compassion for those who do this unknowingly, or even knowingly to cover over something even worse. I'm hoping you still believe Jehovah can fix anything we can screw up, and he'll have the time to do it. My situation is similar to yours, but the roles are reversed. My wife is no longer going with us to meetings, so she can't receive the food at the proper time........... neither can you. How can you let endurance have it's work complete if you quit enduring ? Jehovah strengthens us as we ask for strength, not as we turn inward and let our pain and sadness become a cancer that destroys our relationship with him.

Don't worry .........be happy........

I'll continue to follow this thread, as it may be the one that leads me to a better understanding of how to help restore the "crushed reed" Thank you all for pouring it out here. Keep it up. It's a tough territory, but it will produce fruit if I don't tire out.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

You're a wise father, Albert E.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I like your thinking Albert

• chickpea
    chickpea

just one quick observation, albert

be certain that your son knows there
    is a distinction between spirituality
    and religion....

my religiosity is in stage IV....
    not anticipating a miraculous recovery

OTOH
    my spirituality is unleashed and thriving!!!

• carla
    carla

Sad Michael, you are a watchtower follower I presume? firstly I question your use of the word 'ass', I find it odd that so many jw's feel free to use curse words on the internet when they aren't even supposed to be on boards such as this and futhermore they claim to be the 'cleanest org' on earth, just noticing a trend I see among jw's who boast at the doors how moral & clean the jw's as a whole are.

You refer to the bible yet as a wt follower you are unable or allowed to study the bible without the 'aids' of the wt. How can a jw claim to be 'bible based' when they spend more time reading the wt literature than the bible itself? If you truly loved God you would be upset and horrified by the lies, deceit and misrepresentation of the wt in re: to God & Christ. If you truly loved God, truth would matter more than protecting an organization.

You said, "If it is not from God, it will surely die out, but if it is you may find yourself actually working against almighty God (Jehovah){ and one of his children.}" -- I can assure you that working against the wt is not working against God as God would have nothing to do with this most unholy and truly evil cult. Teaching a child about cults is something EVERY parent should do just as you teach them about the dangers of drugs and other things. You are apparently upset that a child can see the cultish behavior of the wt and you, an adult, choose to keep your own head in the sand.

You also said, "..... hold your {although highly educated and supported by many colleages} opinion above that of God's words?" -- I would ask why you hold the writing dept of the wt & a few men in NY's opinions above God's Word?

You can never have truth until you have free inquiry which requires independent thinking. Something the wt fears and does not allow.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Albert E. ...I just want to tell you that what you are doing is being a real father. You are protecting your son from closing his mind and heart off from the true search for truth. He must be open to see with seeing eyes and hear with hearing ears, and it is your responsibility to guide him in the way he should go.

I feel sorry for Sad Michael and others like him.

One of the most destructive and absolutely devasting things you can do is raise your children in a cult. They struggle later to break free and if they don't, the saddest thing is to know you spent your entire life without real freedom to search like you were looking for hidden treasure. The Truth will set you free and YOU MUST BE ABLE TO DO THE SEARCH!

One's spiritual freedom to listen to their creator's "voice" speaking to them in communion can be taken away by the teachings of men, especially in high control groups like JWs. They have been lead so far astray spiritually, that they can't even realize the chains they are bound up in.

My spiritual health and my relationship with our Creator is so much richer since I left the Witnesses! I thank Him everyday that I got my children out of it before it was too late!

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Albert here is a quote from Crises of Conscience by Ray Franz p433

The chapter is entitled Argumentation and Manipulation. He says

When I was sixteen my father spoke to me very seriously about my lack of spirituality, my irreligious course, and asked me 'why I thought Jehovah would spare me at Armageddon when I was doing less than our church-going neighbours?' While I recognise that the thought of facing possible destruction by God for not being fully "in the truth" had some motiviating effect, I know that this likewise was not the sole, or major motivation. (I was more shaken by the fact that my own father viewed me as perhaps unworthy of God's favour and life than by the thought of any impending future destruction.)

This illustrates the importance of what fathers say. Ray felt so humiliated he started re-attending meetings and soon regained his sense of being in the truth.

• homeschool
    homeschool

I can't imagine how bad I would feel if I was responsible for teaching something that was not the truth and having someone's life ruined because of it. Sad Michael, you said it. Not me. I really wish you'd listen to your own words, buddy.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    Might I ask how can you, as a therapist, hold your {although highly educated and supported by many colleages} opinion above that of God's words?

1. What evidence do you have to support that belief?
    2. Or are you just twisting people's statements like Satan does?
    3. Where did God say it’s better to lie to children than to tell the truth?
    4. If He did, then please explain why the wts teaches parents not to let their kids believe Santa Claus is real.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit