Spiritual education of my son....

by Albert Einstein 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

7 years my son was spiritualy educated as a future JW... My wife still is a faithful witness, so I cannot tell him straight "WTBS is a bunch of liars and hypocrites ...." he would be confused and would go to mom to ask if its right...

So I started explaining him indirectly, leting him to got to the conclusion himself. We have several topics. My favourit one is:

"Son, beware of cults!"

I describe him what cults are like:

"They prevent you from getting higher education... and you end up as a garbage man, or a window washer ...."

"They force you to believe 100% what they say, otherwise they will shun you and let your family to shun you..."

"They will prevent you from getting some kinds of medical help, even let you die, just because the cult leaders decided to it..."

"They encourage kids to join them when they are little, and later they cannot leave, because they would be shunned by friends and family ..."

So I describe him "cults" and a little bit later I describe him doctrines of JWs .... and (just by chance...) it sounds quite similar ...

The other day, all of sudden he asked me: "Dady, whats worse - a cult or JWs?"

So I paused ... and said: "Well, to be honest, there is not really a big diferenece..."

What a beautiful day that was ...

Albert

• carla
  • no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

You have your work cut out for you, keep it up.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Hey, great story. Keep it up.

• Sad Michael
    Sad Michael

Maybe he will choose what you fear the most, then what ?

My wife has decided the same thing as you have and I wonder why either of you would even consider causing the kind of damage possible by placing such a heavy load on a child. If it is not from God, it will surely die out, but if it is you may find yourself actually working against almighty God (Jehovah){ and one of his children.}

The beauty of childish innocence is that it's kinda like love (1 COR 13). Your son ( and mine) have been taught to believe and apply the word of God. We have a much harder time because we see so many who appear not to, but in choosing to see their sin instead of overlooking it, we cannot see our own, which in most cases is misapplication of scripture or selective application of scripture. Before we get started on a witch hunt for the offenses of the WTBS or GB get the rafters out of our own eyes. ( Let he who is w/o sin cast the first stone) Than we will understand the meaning of Jesus' words "Verily I say unto you, unless you become like one of these you may by no means enter into my kingdom"

• Marjorie
    Marjorie

Wonderful, wonderful!

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

Hi Sad Michael,

an impoortant point: My goal is not manipulate and mind control my son. Absolutly not! I have absolutely no problem to accept his choice to become a JW, muslim, or a catholic priest when he is ready to decide for himself.

What is my absolut priority, to raise him free of guilt feeling, free of mind control and whatever he chooses must be really his own choice, made when he is fully aware of all consequences.

100% of JWs kids baptized are not aware what this really mean and what consequences this decision has.

My son goes only to JWs meetings, there he is exposed to emotional blackmail, is being told what he is expected to do.... , and must do...

My goal is to balance that, to let him see the world is not black and white ...

One point I repeat to him most often is "What age was Jesus when he got baptized? ...No way you get baptized any sooner!" (I did, and Iam sorry now...) IFand WHERE he gets baptized I really really dont care, if that really is his conscious will.

The beauty of childish innocence is that it's kinda like love

And the danger of childish innocence is that it believes everything the adults say (until certain age..). Thats why african girls want to be circumsied and why little boys in Iraq and Afghanistan become suicide bombers. We have a responsibility towards our kids Michael!!!

Albert

• homeschool
    homeschool

Sad Michael should really read Steven Hassan's Book COMBATTING CULT MIND CONTROL...Jehovah's Witnesses aren't even mentioned in the book. It's NOT about Jehovah's Witnesses, Michael, so you can read it. The book is about a cult the author was in and he describes what cults are. He makes mention of a LOT of different cult-like religions, but never mentions the jw's. its a very interesting book to read, Michael. Albert, you are so right....children do believe everything they are tought (until a certain age, hahaha<----so true, so true). I think you are doing the right thing.

• homeschool
    homeschool

If it is not from God, it will surely die out, but if it is you may find yourself actually working against almighty God (Jehovah){ and one of his children.}

I just noticed this from Sad Michael....this reminds me of when they would say from the platform "so what if its not the truth? What harm is it for you to stay in? You will have lived a healthy, honest life surrounded by the most happy, loving people around." ......I need to just log off this site right now, no need to get pissy at 8:30a in the morning. Grrrrrrrr. Michael, do you realize just HOW MANY THINGS that are not from god that do NOT die out? And then young children grow up and realize too late what a waste their lives were? They realize how many really true, wonderful, kind souls they missed out on (i.e....extended family who are not jw's but who have so much love in their hearts)?????! I understand that, after you see the 2nd or 3rd question mark or exclamation mark, you will see that I am angry and your mind probably quit reading what I had to write (because you think "apostate"!). But look past the anger, Michael. And read all the other threads on here....it's so much more than anger. Its pure hurt. And sadness. Most of the people on here are some of the most pure, caring people and god loves them just the same. Nuff said.

• rebel8
    rebel8

SadMichael, I wonder why you would even consider causing the kind of damage possible by placing such a heavy load on a child, as you are doing by exposing your children to a reprehensible group such as jws.

As a therapist and ex-jw, I fully understand that the deep psychological damage done by being a jw takes decades, possibly forever, to undo.

You can't possibly understand that because you've never tried to undo the damage. Therefore, I'm curious what you believe your qualifications are to judge the difference between the two.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit