Black Families & Shunning

by snowbird 87 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I grew up in a 99.9% African American JW enviornment and my experience is total shunning. Now my family - they shun as long as they can make you feel guilty and have a chance to bring you back, once they see that it won't work they come around.

Example: JW brothers (both elders now) have been df'd multiple times and every time shunning was enforced!

Me (not da'd or df'd just left), my older brother (da'd), older sister(df'd) and younger sister(never baptised) - no way were we coming back and made it known. They tried to shun but when we didn't give a damn and shunned them back or told them were to put their shunning, they changed their tune.

I sometimes wish they would shun me though

nj

• snowbird
    snowbird

Interesting.

Non-shunning must be a Deep South thang.

Sylvia

• dinah
    dinah
    Non-shunning must be a Deep South thang.

That's what I was thinking, Sylvia.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I don't know Sylvia, my family does it when it's convienent, if they are putting on a show or if they think they can manipulate you into coming back.

My parents give crazy JW parents a whole new meaning!

nj

Edited: they are both from the deep south originally born and raised and they both have huge families all non-JW

• Dagney
    Dagney

Is West Virginia the "deep south?"

Same shunning experience as others. Different names, different family, same shunning.

• dinah
    dinah

Sometimes I think it depends on how many family members are witnesses as well. I've seen families where practically everyone is in "the truth", they do tend to stick together and shun the unrepentant wrongdoer. *gag*

In my case, only my Mom and a few distant cousins are Witnesses. If she had shunned me, the rest of the family would have seen how crazy the religion is. Guess I dodged a bullet on that one.

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

Unfortunately, I'm in the "everyone is in the "truth" and shuns the unrepentant sinner" category!

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Is West Virginia the "deep south?"
    Deep South States: The Deep South includes Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia, southern Tennessee, eastern Arkansas and Louisiana, and western Florida and South Carolina. This region, sometimes called the "Old Confederacy", is located to the north of the Gulf of Mexico and features a warm climate. Summers in the Deep South can be hot and humid.

Afraid not, Dagney.

Sylvia

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    Summers in the Deep South can be hot and humid.

Can Be, CAN BE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!................how about they will definately be!!!!

oh and miserable too!!!!

• snowbird
    snowbird

Definitely, Purps.

It's gonna be 81 degrees today.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit