Watchtower July 15th - womanly submission issue scan

by dozy 56 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Compared to what they used to print in the old days, say 25 years ago - this is pretty tame stuff..

Nb They claim to follow a book that does emphasize male headship ..

The only example here given is that a wife would check a child's request for permission to do something, to make sure that both parents were in agreement - does not seem a bad idea. Ever known kids to "play one parent against another ?"

Also, the husband is told that he has to do things that "carefully consider her point of view and feelings" - it works both ways.

I am no apologist for the WT, but , as I said, this is pretty tame by their past standards.

Blondie had it right in an earlier post though. These WT women pay only lip service to the principle - except when it may be to their advantage. If asked to something they do not want to do, then of course they have to ask hubby first, and blame him for declining to do it..

Like women the world over, they make sure they get what they want.

Blues (sounding bitter today!)

• Scully
    Scully

Of all the strong women I know among the JWs, I just can't fathom how any of them could stomach that $h!t.

There's no way in hell I could ever go back to it, I'm surprised I survived as long as I did under that oppression.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Remember Julianne Moore in "Far From Heaven" - set in the fifties, she was the purrrfect 50s wife.

It was so phoney. Were women REALLY like that then, or is it just that the media of the time have not preserved the facts? Like "I love Lucy" - don't tell me people didn't use words like PREGNANT rather than "in the family way"!

The same thing has happened to the society's view of the olden days "when folks read the Bible by lamplight and derived comfort therefrom." (yeah about 2% of the population could read.)

The old reptiles have not lived in the real world for at least 50 years. Thier ideas are derived form the media, in the days when they could still watch TV and not die of shock at an ad for Diet Coke or an Abercrombie and Fitch catalogue.

HB

• yknot
    yknot

Well well well......

You know what, I live in a Southern state, and I happily defer quite a bit to hubby but really I mean really,...... My uncle used to say a relationship with no outwardly displayed disagreements is a mighty onesided relationship..... and he was raising his kids in the 50's.

That isn't healthy, it is good for children to see and understand the negotiation/compromise process within a marriage. If they don't then they aren't prepared for the compromising that comes into play in maintaining a balanced relationship when they get married (and no one likes being married to a tyrant or spoiled brat).

What's next an a private meeting for JW women with UBM to learn the art of making him think it was his idea?

The article is just too black and white with not enough shades of grey that are inevitable in every relationship.

It would be great if men were able to be 'perfect husbands' but the WTS does exactly like the 50's TV did......paint a picture and present a few surface examples that never really grasp human complexity or how finances play into our lives.

....... then again the article probably wasn't meant for us 'westernized' JWs.....this is for their new converts, many who haven't had women's liberations movements deep within their respective societies......

Kids become a Bethelite........ hmmm if they need people why not recall all of those with decades of experience they fired in the last few years! When does a JW kid ever get to make mistakes? A person can learn a lot through experiencing failure. By making mistakes we learn to value forgiveness and not judging others....

AND WHAT IS 'APPROPRIATE SCHOOLING'?

• Spook
    Spook

It's comedy to see this in 2009.

My mother is a terrible woman who brow-beat through passive agressive moral supremacy for 15 years. My dad eventually became a JW...poor guy.

And all those years he paid for her to waste time and money pioneering without a word of thanks or support...only quiet simmering derision from her.

He must have been terribly lonely.

• ziddina
    ziddina

NOW I find this thread! This is what I wanted to post that weird WTBTS article on "Negotiating a Reasonable Bride Price" on - both articles view women as 'possessions', not equal human beings... Yuk. Zid

• Satanus
    Satanus

A womanly submission starter kit:

Starter kit: leather masks with zippers and cat 'o nine tails. The 
    masks are clearly emblazoned with Christian Fish symbols on the
    forehead area.

Nipple Clamps of the Holy Trinity: Three brass nipple clamps held
    together with golden chains of appropriate length, allowing the
    masterful husband many options in attaching the third "Holy Spirit"
    clamp.

Mary Magdalene's Leather Pants: This "cheekless" design allows full
    access to spanking surfaces when the wife is in her proper penitent,
    kneeling position.

Wrath of God: a 12-foot bullwhip of black cowhide on a Communion
    chalice handle for putting the fear of God into wives who have
    strayed (e.g. thinking for themselves or having an opinion with no
    regard for the damage this causes the family).

The Rack of St. Stephen: Sturdy construction with heavy, fur-lined
    wrist and ankle restraints. Can be spun upside down for the
    St. Paul variant.

The Archangel: Large punishment phallus of sufficient diameter and
    length to make any wayward wife admit her heretical ways and beg
    forgiveness.

The Judas Wand: A handsome vibrator that works well for five minutes
    then shuts down automatically, leaving the wife more dependent than
    ever on her Master.

Riding Crop of the Pharacies: Teach your wife the ways of the Lord
    with this sturdy handcrafted riding crop.

Anointment: a thick, non-toxic balm scented with myrrh and
    frankincense. Perfect for easing the pain of heavily welted skin
    or allowing the Master easier penetration when teaching a lesson
    regarding the ways of Sodom.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit