Site issues: Dec 30 Update

by Simon 26 Replies latest forum announcements

• Simon
    Simon

First of all, some apologies - I had planned to spend the last couple of days getting everyone signed in to the new site and sorting account issues out but I wasn't getting over the flu as I thought, I got worse. I've probably had 4 hours sleep in the last few days. Anything that requires too much thinking isn't going to happen right now. I do know what the issue is though and what I need to do to fix things so please bear with me while I recover and implement the fix..

Angharad had offered to run to the drug store for some flu remedies but I told her not to bother because I'd started to feel better. Bam, big mistake - a combination of cold weather (-25 to -30) and not using the car much over the xmas break and uh oh, it wouldn't start. I knew the battery was on the way out and was planning on getting it replaced this month. Now I really really wanted something to take.

So while feeling unbelievably poorly and bitterly cold, I had to jump start the car and go buy a new battery and some tools and finally some medicine while we were out. What an exhausting morning - I was walking round Costco with my big coat, toque and scarf on (their batteries are so cheap !). .

One good thing - after successfully going through 7 winters I finally discovered that it had a block-heater fitted all this time (doh!) so at least we should be better in future.

So, my apologies again for lack of progress and for failing to reply to emails a promised. It's the worst flu I've had for many years and came at the worst time imaginable - the vaccine is starting to look like a pretty good option for next year.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos
    Sorry to hear it.  I figured there was a reason we weren't hearing much from you.  Get well soon!  I'll try not to pile on with too many more bug reports :->
  • OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Simon..

Your having a rough day..LOL!!..

Be really careful of the cold here when your sick..

Your core temperature will drop faster than you can imagine..

Then you get really sick..

Costco..Good choice..

I like them and Canadian Tire for batteries..

Get a battery warmer as well,they`re about the $30.00 range,easy to install..

Your battery will keep a better charge,especially in our cold weather..

• cantleave
    cantleave
    You didn't need things like battery warmers in Irlam (the car would get nicked before the battery died).
  • cofty
    cofty

Take care Simon. Flu is horrible and fixing a car while you are ill is the pits.

Site issues can wait.

• Simon
    Simon
    You didn't need things like battery warmers in Irlam (the car would get nicked before the battery died).\

It wasn't as bad as across the Canal in Partington - I think that had the highest rate of car crime in the country at one point.

It still amazes me - over here people will leave their cars idling while they go and shop if it's really cold. Even when I was unsure if it would restart I still couldn't bring myself to do it. I took it for a long drive before we stopped. It was hesitant but it did restart. The new battery will be awesome.

Didn't know about battery warmers - do you just leave them on all year round or just put them on for winter? Do batteries even suffer from overheating? Would it even be a problem in our 2 weeks of non-winter.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen
    Sorry you are so sick, Simon. Hubby and I had a horrible case of flu this year as well. We will opt for shots next season for sure! Cofty is right, the site can wait-there is only ONE Simon and your health comes first. We will limp along just fine. 
  • 3rdgen
    3rdgen
    We live where the summer is at least 4 1/2 months long and temperatures are extremely hot 100-115 degrees. Of course it's even much hotter if your car is parked in the sun! Batterys just can't survive those extreme temps. We have to replace ours about once a year. 
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Didn't know about battery warmers - do you just leave them on all year round or just put them on for winter? Do batteries even suffer from overheating?

No Simon just when it gets below 0 degrees and they're especially helpful when it gets below -15 degrees.

They usually just warp around the battery and you plug them into any 110v outlet, like the car block heater. 

Hope for speedy recover on that flu  ...... take care.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Oh I should add that most people who have battery warmers leave them wrapped up tight around the battery all winter long and plug them in with the block heater at the same time. 

Personally I think having a battery warmer may hold more importance in starting your vehicle on those cold winter mornings. Cold motors are harder to start mostly because of the motor oil thickening when cold and also car batteries lose their Amperage output when they are not in use in cold weather.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit