Help on becoming a Jehovahs Witness

by tpadgett 86 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

What rubbish Mary, you can't read minds. Did Witnesses invent the words postive and negative?

Why not give posters the benefit of the doubt? So what if it means we get misled now and again? Better that than cynically trampling on new posters before they barely open their mouth.

For what it's worth tpadgett sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Welcome!

Yes, JW teaching does make a lot of sense - that's how I felt when I studied.

The problem is, they only show you the surface when you're studying. Once you're in, then they hit you with the more nasty stuff. I am so glad I spoke with an ex-JW and was pointed to this site.

If you want to spend the rest of your life conforming and performing for someone else, it might just be the right place for you. If however you prefer to think for yourself, then it most certainly won't be. Joining the JWs could cost you your life in more ways than one.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

If your only interested in Positive things about JW`s,then read the Watchtower and Awake..............Then you can join the Jehovah`s Witness`s.. Waste what ever years you have left and die................Nice future eh?...........................LOL!!...OUTLAW

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

SBF..Mary and I have been hardened by Trolls over the years..LOL!!.....Your right though..The kid may be legit..............................lol!!...OUTLAW

• Mary
    Mary
    What rubbish Mary, you can't read minds. Did Witnesses invent the words postive and negative?

Come on Slimboy......take a look at what this person has written. The second I posted a picture of CoC, they immediately wanted to know if it had a favourable or unfavourable spin on the religion. Does that really sound like something a 17 year old who's never been a Dub would ask?

We've been down this road before......sorry, I don't buy this one.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Sheesh! Only 17 and wanting to make a decision about religion.

Why don't you just grow up a little... say 5 or 6 years.

Go to college. Get a degree. Then think about religion.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Here's how it goes:

* You "study" (no outside material allowed) with a witness to please your boyfriend.

* You become gradually isolated from previous "outside" contacts. (everyone outside the group is evil and deserving of death)

* You get married and owned by your new husband, have a couple kids, and everyone you know is a JW.

* They tell you you can't send your kids to college (or anything else for that matter) and you call BS. You wake up and realize that you've been in a cult, and you decide to leave.

* Everyone you now now (since you only know JWs now) considers you an evil "apostate" and they will never talk to you again. If your children have been baptized by this point, they will possibly never talk to you again.

It ain't worth it. You're doing the right thing looking at all sides of it now. That is NOT allowed after you join!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

tpadgett, since you are not a JW you are considered "worldly". The elders would put an end to your relationship at least until you got baptized as a JW. After that, dating is expected to be done in a group setting so that you are always chaparoned. Dating is also expected to lead to engagement and marriage.

Also, the fact that he's your "boyfriend" indicates he's a fringe JW. JWs are not allowed to date "worldly" people.

W

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Oh I do like this Back and Forth..LOL!!........Mary makes a very strong point..Most people outside the Borg simply want to Know..Not if the Liturature is positive or negative..Thats a really big give away,your dealing with a JW.............Where did the Kid go?.....................LOL!!...OUTLAW

• penny2
    penny2

tpadgett, welcome to JWn!

You are absolutely doing the right thing investigating the religion that your boyfriend belongs to - whether you want to become a Jehovah's Witness or not.

You see being a Jehovah's Witness governs every aspect of your life. Has your boyfriend told you Jehovah's Witnesses aren't allowed to celebrate birthdays, mothers day, fathers day, xmas and most other celebrations? Do you realise your boyfriend is going against his beliefs by dating you? You probably already know that there is no sex before marriage but even after marriage, there are rules (oral sex is condemned).

Jehovah's Witnesses believe that god is about to destroy everyone who is not a Jehovah's Witness (that's why they go from house to house - to warn people). Once you become a Jehovah's Witness you can't change your mind. If you leave, an announcement will be made at the kingdom hall that you are "no longer a Jehovah's Witness" and you won't be able to associate with your family or friends who are Jehovah's Witnesses. So it is a path from which there is no return (at least without severe consequences).

Once you become emotionally involved with someone, it's very hard to be objective though.

penny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit