Why do so many Xjw's not end up in some sort of trouble?

by AK - Jeff 35 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

I experienced a troubled life when I was in the organization. It was only after I left that the quality of my life improved and my desire to live grew. Perhaps from the JWs view, I did get in trouble after I left (e.g., associating with people who held a range of views about life).I've long since completed my graduate and post-graduate studies and am working as a senior clinical psychologist in a metropolitan hospital. If that's trouble, bring it on!

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

steve2,
    In dubland you'd be considered an apostle of Satan. I suppose that with your "worldly education" you get paid well, too.
    If someone asked about you in your old Kingdumb Hell, they'd likely report that you're some kind of a gangsta-pimp.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Lady Lee you're a wild woman!!!

Why do so many Xjw's not end up in some sort of trouble?

I don't know darnit! But I'm gonna keep trying.

• dinah
    dinah

Lady Lee!! My goodness Woman!

I think the dubs just like to point to our normal human behavior and say we are crazy or evil. Yes, you do go a little wild when you first get some freedom. But that stage doesn't last long in most cases.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Depends on who you ask I guess. My mother once told me that my marriage was immoral because I had married a man who was not a jw even though I was never a jw. *shakes head*

• dinah
    dinah

Good one, Josie. How ridiculous is that? And you two have been married how long? BUT he wasn't a DUB so you had no right to marry him. You should have married a zealous brother with a stick up his ass, silly woman.

• jws
    jws

I left in my mid-20's. I was already going to bars on a regular basis since I was 19 (legal age at the time), had tried pot, and was having sex with wordly girls.

After I left the JWs and had more freedom, I think things did get a bit more intense. I loved to party on the weekends. I'd drink, I'd get high, I'd try to have lots of sex (but it never happened as often as I'd hoped for). And then I'd go to my professional office job Monday-Friday where my technical skills were highly respected.

I don't think I was much different than a lot of worldy guys at that age and I know my behavior was tame by comparison to some of them. I was pretty responsible.

I also lived with 2 girls. One while I still believed and my wife before we got married.

I smoked cigarettes a bit. Like 1 or 2 a day at work. Then when the pack was done, I might not smoke for another 6 months. Never got addicted and stopped the little bit I did 12 years ago.

I've grown up and calmed down. Got married in my early 30's and have been happily married nearly 10 years now, which is longer than I can say for my best JW friends who stayed JWs.

So I can't say I've been squeaky clean by JW standards, but I don't think I've gone so far in having my fun as to let it ruin my life. It's not like I was addicted to drugs or got STDs or became a thief or murderer.

• oompa
    oompa

I know a ton out...and all the young go a bit wild......and so do most older single people....geeze....geeze and even married ones i know do what would have been called "trouble"...i know i would/have/do.......oompa

i know far fewer that stay golden

• dinah
    dinah

Oh hell, Oomps, we just get a little tarnished. Most get it out of their system and settle down.

*polishing halo*

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

I can only speak for my family. My kids are at an age where they could really be giving me problems. They are not. Many teens "in the truth" are just the opposite. My marriage is intact. Three JW couples we know are getting divorced right now. I can say I wake up happy. Drink a lot less than I used to. Don't smoke. It's all good. No trouble.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit