Entertaining: Snack Foods

by cameo-d 25 Replies latest jw friends

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Oh Blithe!

I don't think my guests would ever return!

But that is a good offering for social obligations you would prefer not to have!

• poppers
    poppers

You'll find braunschweiger in the meat department - look in the processed meat or deli area. It comes in rounded sections of differing lengths, cut from the long casing that it is smoked in. It's great on Ritz crackers and goes well with beer.

Braunschweiger - from Wikipedia:

Braunschweiger (named after Braunschweig, Germany) is a type of liverwurst (porkliversausage) which is nearly always smoked.

Braunschweiger has a very high amount of Vitamin A, iron and proteins. The meat has a very soft, spread-like texture and a distinctive spicy liver-based flavor, very similar to the Nordic Leverpostej. It is usually used as a spread for toast, but can also be used as a filling for sandwiches, often paired with stone-ground mustard, sliced tomatoes and cheese. There are also a few recipes for pâté and cheese balls which use braunschweiger as a primary ingredient.

Pickled herring comes in various sized jars, and it will have slices of raw pickled onion in it as well. Any fish flavor is overwhelmed by the pickling so don't worry about it being "fishy". It does have a strong taste that is very distinctive, but it's very good - goes well with beer too.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Ham roll ups.

Spread a slice of ham with room temp cream cheese and place a canned asparagus spear on the slice and roll it up. Cut in 1 inch pieces. Very good.

Stuff dates with cream cheese and stick a pecan in it.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Stuff dates with cream cheese and stick a pecan in it.

Dagney! I really like that one!!!

Poppers...I know you are trying to give me some good ideas, but the problem is my peculiarity, I guess.

I have never eaten liverwurst because I don't like the name of it. Now that I know it is pig liver, I like it even less. I would not eat something like that.

I do not like pickles. I have never eaten anything pickled except for maybe a dill, and wasn't too crazy about that. I just don't think I would like something preserved in formaldyhyde juice.

But thanks, anyway.

• Blithe Freshman
    Blithe Freshman

Oh Blithe!

I don't think my guests would ever return!

But that is a good offering for social obligations you would prefer not to have!

I guess it depends on where you live and what the men you know like to eat.

How about hummus for a dip?

• rebel8
    rebel8

One of my favorite easy-but-delicious snacks is marinated mushrooms. Clean button mushrooms and marinate in fresh chopped garlic, parsley, and lemon juice. Marinate at least 1 full day, turning over a few times per day to make sure they're all soaked. These taste fantasic with deviled eggs for some reason.

You could serve some roasted peppers, good cheese, and whole grain baguette slices with it too. Delicious!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit