PETA

by beksbks 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I believe in animal rights, and Rocco has the right to take a bite of my cheeseburgers and pork chops whenever he wants.

W

• Robdar
    Robdar

JD:

Rob, are you an animal rights nut?

I believe in helping out animals in need but am not nutty about it.

I work with No More Homeless Pets which is a trap, spay, release, program and I currently manage a colony of ferals. At one time I managed 3 colonies but 2 have gone the way of all things.

http://www.nomorehomelesspetskc.org/

I feel for the homeless pets that have been betrayed and abandoned. I do what I can to help them. I also donate to the ASPCA and encourage others to do the same.

Thanks for asking JD. How's your Saturday going?

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Thanks for asking JD. How's your Saturday going?

It's a wash so far. Got up early to go to the bank and make a deposit, only to discover they're closed today. Have to go to work in a bit.

• Robdar
    Robdar

JD:

It's a wash so far. Got up early to go to the bank and make a deposit, only to discover they're closed today. Have to go to work in a bit.

I'm going into work too. I am alone at the law office because the attorney is out of the country. What a week this has been. If I want to take good care of our clients, it's off to work I go. ~sigh~

Guess, I'd better not highjack this thread. Dont wanna piss off beks!

I hope you have a good holiday weekend.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Piss off beks? Heck, it's not even 8 o'clock on the west coast right now. I'm sure she'll not be around any time soon--takes a while to wear off the hangover and recover from all that whoring around.

• Robdar
    Robdar

ROFLMAO at JD.

Shhhhhh! I think I just heard her shuffling down the hall in her bunny slippers.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Are they pink or green?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I work in the scientific community. If these people had their way, I wouldn't have a job.

As a result of the field of research that I'm in, several popular drugs are on the market, helping millions of folks deal with depression, insomnia and addiction. Lab rats play a huge part in testing these drugs.

-LWT

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I'm all for ethical treatment of animals, including bipedal hominids. But let's be realistic. Shit happens. Life isn't fair. No one and nothing lives forever. I try to eat vegan. Mostly. I'm not religious about it. If someone offers me a hamburger, I'll eat it and enjoy it.

PETA is too much like a cult. Just too idealistic and extreme in its views. Really, it has always been a part of human behavior to use animals in some way. PETA won't change that. If anything they seem to inspire reactionary nutjobs to form anti-PETA groups. Extremists defending animals and nutjobs defending their "right" to eat 4000 calorie hamburgers. May we live in interesting times.

Dave

• JeffT
    JeffT

Two comments or maybe three.

I'm all for treating animals well. I've had animals of one sort or another all my life, and I've always tried to take good care of them. I hunt (or used to) and fish, and I care a great deal about taking care of wildlife.

Lot's of people have been saved due to research on animals. My father pioneered the development of bone marrow transplants working with dogs. That line of research is now bearing fruit in work with stem cells. I wonder how many of the animal rights nuts know that?

I don't know if he was involved in PETA, but he was cut from the same cloth. A few years ago we were listening to a talk radio show about a change in hunting laws here in Washington State and the subject of thinning deer herds came up. It was pointed out that absent hunting the deer would overbreed until they ran out of food, a bunch of them would starve and then the cycle would begin all over again. Some guy called in and said that the only reason deer bred so rapidly was because they knew {his word} that they were being hunted. If we stopped hunting them, they wouldn't reproduce as much. Seriously.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit