Memorial Problem

by InTheSpotlight 23 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

You know, I generally agree with Steve. I commented that a partaker should partake. I wouldn't go and mock the whole thing by partaking, but a partaker who truly believes they should not reject the "emblems" would want to partake if he went. I mean, he was invited, that's what the WTS wants outsiders to do- go to their memorial. He partakes of the bread and wine at his services and feels strongly about not rejecting it. Isn't that what this is really all about- following your calling and doing as Jesus expects of you?

Otherwise, try a regular meeting to learn about the JW's.

• Quandry
    Quandry

I would say do not go.

Number one, they would love to have you warm a seat so that they could boast about increased attendance at this special meeting. I wouln't give them the satisfaction.

Number two, if you are religious, and have a place that you go for services, you wouldn't appreciate someone coming in who obviously makes no pretense of being in your group yet is trying to join in something that is reserved for members.

Number three, I don't think partaking of the wine and bread would spark a debate, but you would be viewed as either a nut, or someone so disrespectful that they wouldn't want to talk to you anyway.

Why not just go to an ordinary meeting another time, and then ask to speak to a witness because you have questions?

Also, to learn alot more than they will tell you, continue research on line and on this forum!!!

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Personally speaking, I could not and would not sit through this rejection of Christ's sacrifice now that I realize just what a totally messed up conglomeration the Watchtower Society is putting over their follower's heads. Even the IDEA that the WTS tries to declare they are Christian.....is more than ludicrous.....and the mockery they make of the communion FOR Christians.....is diabolical and disgusting. I would stay as far away from any Kingdom Hall as possible to show Jesus that I in NO way support them in their lunacy.

Annie

• StAnn
    StAnn

InTheSpotlight, as a lifelong JW, let me tell you this: it's not just the Memorial and rejecting communion that is blasphemous about the JWs. Everything they teach and everything they do is a rejection of Christ and of Christianity. Theirs is a cult designed to line the pockets of some old men in Brooklyn, NY, and fulfill the needs of losers and nobodies to feel like big fish in small ponds.

If I went to the Memorial, I would refuse to partake because I believe that the WTS is not approved by God and does not have the authority to consecrate the wine and bread.

StAnn

• parakeet
    parakeet

InTheSpotlight: "... As a Christian I think that the way the emblems are passed by everyone amounts to systematic rejection of Christ's work. I do not want to sit there and have to pass bread and wine to the person next to me. I think that this is blasphemous...... So, should a Christian partake at such an event?"

If you like being in the spotlight, go ahead. In fact, finish off the bread and wine. If there are any "annointed" ones in the KH, they'll just have to do without this year. I'm sure Jehovah will forgive them.

ITS, your basic premise is mistaken. Witnesses call themselves Christians, but not in a way that would be recognizable by mainstream Christians. Their emphasis is on the Old Testament and its vengeful, bloodthirsty god, Jehovah. They throw in a "Jesus" here and there as a sop to their token savior.

If you want to "understand" and "reach" JWs, gnawing on their dry crackers and sipping cheap wine is not the best way to go about it.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Advice from one Christian to another: don't go. The entire event is blasphemous, by attending you giving it a level of respect it does not deserve. If you want to talk to JW's, by all means do so, but in a context where you are holding the high ground. Causing a stir, debating with them, partaking of their emblems improperly should be beneath you.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Either way, it is a complete waste of time to go. If you are going to reject Jesus, you can do that just as easily at home. You can also go to regular church, or partake at home or in small groups. Either way, you will avoid the hounding that you will receive if you go to the Kingdumb Hell.

• AgentSmith
    AgentSmith

I understand what you want to do, however it won't work at the memorial. They, the suits (elders) will be on the lookout for new ones and you will only get the run around. A complete waste of your time.

Don't mess with their most holy of days, just stay away. Tackle them while they are doing field service or streetwork.

Agent Smith

• Kinjiro
    Kinjiro

I think when another 'christian' judges and condemns other so called 'christians' its like the pot calling the kettle black...

Its all based on another human's ideas... no religion has proof of anything they state as facts... thats why they are all called 'religous FAITHS'!

All is a matter of 'styles' of doing the basic same thing... I pass it... you eat it... I drink it... you pass it... it has exactly the same effect:

Gratifying yourself because you did what you had 'faith' in... and then bullying others into doing it your way or get destroyed/burned/ etc etc...

Reminds me of the Liliput wars from Gulliver's Travels... what is the correct way to eat an egg? Mine... so if you dont like it lets WAR!!!!

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Hello InTheSpotlight,

As an ex JW of over 30 years who is now a Christian, I have a word of advice.

I see no harm wanting to go and observe how they do their Memorial service. If it will help you have a better understanding of them, then do it.

As a Christian, I would take the emblems because of what they represent.

If you are wanting a ministry of reaching out to Jehovah's Witnesses with the real truth, that is a good goal to have in your heart. However, you would be wasting 99.99% of this time that could be put to use in a more meaningful ministry. There are hundreds of them!

Trying to talk to or convince an active Jehovah's Witness into believing that there is a "crack" in their belief system is a futile undertaking. The only way for a JW to become an ex JW is by their own doubts and investigating them and the entire religion.

But if you plant even one seed, it could grow into something fruitful.

I wish you the best.

HappyDad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit