Memorial Problem

by InTheSpotlight 23 Replies latest jw friends

• InTheSpotlight
    InTheSpotlight

Hi all,

New here. Looks like a good place to get info and share ideas.

O.k. my first question:

I am a Christian. Never been a JW but interested in trying to better understand these people and reach them. Have spent a lot of time researching the religion (since early 90's), spoke to lots of witnesses, read/have a lot of literature, etc. But have never been to one of their memorials.

As the memorial is coming up next week I intend on going and have even made contact with some Witnesses in a Hall where they don't know me. My primary reason for going is to just observe really but if an opportunity for debate arises later that may be a possibility.

Problems for me -

1. As a Christian I think that the way the emblems are passed by everyone amounts to systematic rejection of Christ's work. I do not want to sit there and have to pass bread and wine to the person next to me. I think that this is blasphemous really seeing as Christ died for all and Corinthians says DO THIS in rememberance of me.

In fact, I have heard that in the early years of the church there were heretical/gnostic type groups that conciousely blasphemed Christ by refusing the bread and wine. Have been unable to document this from a source though so if anyone can reference such a thing it would be a help.

2. So, should a Christian partake at such an event? Even if I did I would feel that, on the other hand, it is being party to something that is not right on the whole.

I spoke to a JW i know over the phone today briefly about these concerns and asked if i could sort of step out at the moment the bread and wine is passed around and he said it would be ok. Not sure how practical that will be though.

Anyway, any suggestions appreciated.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

You can sit toward the back and step out. Or you could simply partake. There will be gasps. What better way to get to know JW's than to do something you wholeheartedly believe in and they don't? It would definitely get you the debate afterward that you want.

• rebel8
    rebel8

If you partook, a wave of whispers would spread around the room, followed by a brief silence. Then they'd just brush it off as you being unschooled in The Truth and move on. Partaking, by itself, won't wake them up though, I don't think.

I'm interested in knowing why you want to reach them. These are brainwashed people being harmed by religion.

I hope you're not intending to impose your own brand of religion on these victims. If that's "helping" then I'm the Queen of Sheba.

• DNCall
    DNCall

I would go with No. 2. You will see that the event is basically an infomercial for the Watchtower Society and a device for taking a census of possible new converts. Any communion that the scattered few who partake have is incidental to the main thrust of the event. I say this having presided over a number of "Memorials."

DNCall

• sacolton
    sacolton

You should observe a JW baptism "in the name of the Father, Son and the spirit-directed organization" (no Holy Spirit) for a real treat.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

As a Christian you should partake if you view the emblems as representing the flesh and blood of Christ. Just because the JWs systematically refuse them doesn't mean a true Christian should.

• steve2
    steve2

My advice to you is, Stay away.

If you cannot respect the witnesses' practices during their most important meeting, do not go. I noticed you used the word "debate". Please, if you must do anything, increase your own tolerance and stop trying to use your own religious beliefs as a justification for what you would be "tempted" to do at another religious group's meeting.

• outofthebox
    outofthebox

Grab a bite!

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

I agree with Steve. Do yourself a favour and go to a movie. If you no longer have the respect for the Christ, and you no longer have any self respect and you like a building with entrances and no exits, then be our guest. Witnesses have no freedom to think for themselves. Disfellowshiping and shunning is a sin against God and His Son.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

My primary reason for going is to just observe really but if an opportunity for debate arises later that may be a possibility.

If you are there to observe, then observation alone should be no cause for debate.

If you are there to make a scene and cause a debate, I would say just stay away. It's not the time or place.

If you want to cause a stir, perhaps you could visit a meeting at some other time and start with shouting "Amen" if you agree with something the speaker says.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit