Left the WT but why the loss of your faith in God?

by Luo bou to 65 Replies latest jw friends

• oompa
    oompa

for me it was a chain reaction......the perfect storm......i had doubts about many teachings, but when i found out we had actually CHANGED the NWT Bible, I lost faith in the Bible....The WT Society actually teaches TWO COMPLETELY OPPOSITE things at the same time. It is the only teaching i know of they do this on. There are dozens of current places where WT says the bible is incredibly accurate, preserved and protected by god, that he would never allow his word to be contaminted so that mankind would be able to know him and his truths........THEN.......the also teach that Satan and apostates sometime in the second or third century removed the name Jehovah from the Bible!!!.......not just in one area of the world, but somehow from every single ancient manuscript in the frikkin world!!!!..........and so they took it upon themselves to make up what the apostles would have ACTUALLY written!!!....lmao!

now if you think satan screwing around with the bible is ok.......that removing the divine name over all the universe is a little tiny thing, then fine....but i kida think if satan did that, then there is no tellin what else he would have changed.

so i lost all faith in the bible, thus, now question any active spirit real at all.....do still beleive in god but have no clue if he cares a whit about anything anymore, nor do i think he has any plans for the world........and ya......since JW and many other religions rely on the bible and god for there teachings..........i am out of all religions right now too..................oompa

• hmike
    hmike

AllTimeJeff said:

I don't like the fact that faith in god leads to so many turning off their brains and in some cases, becoming a liar.

You realize, of course, that there are many highly educated, reflective theists who would say that the same thing about atheists ("...so many turning off their brains and in some cases, becoming a liar"). It's a matter of the quality and quantity of evidence one possess, and how it's processed through the biases and filters. Faith need not be the result of "turning off their brains." Faith can come from the brain being fully engaged in an honest evaluation of information. We all see things differently because we all have different experiences and criteria that shape our perspectives. What information do we accept and what do we reject—and why? There are many pieces of the puzzle missing—how do we fill those in?

SOME of us may have conviction, or personal certainty about a position, but NONE of us has absolute certainty. I say let's work with that.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Somehow this thread reminds me of the old joke in which a guy goes to a psychiatrist and says "Doc, my brother's crazy. He thinks he's a chicken." The Doctor pauses and says, "Well, why don't you turn him in?" The guy says, "I would, but I need the eggs."

I guess in the end most people just continue along because they just need the eggs.

Rub a Dub

• donny
    donny

Faith is a dangerous thing. It takes away intellectual honesty. Theists are still wont to insist as to the certainty of their god, invisible and heretofore not present as being the right one. Not one can prove that she is there. I don't like the fact that faith in god leads to so many turning off their brains and in some cases, becoming a liar.

Very well said, Jeff, I concur completely. My question to those who left and still cling to a deity, is why? I would like to believe that there is some fanciful afterlife waiting for me (as long as I obey the Invisible One's rules), but I just do not see enough evidence to do so. First you have a set of books, aka the Bible, that many believe to be this deitys words to mankind, yet the process to assemble them together is full of religious bickering and politics and the books themselves are open to so many interpretations.

I have to believe that is such a deity exists, he had nothing to do with that set of writings and would have better ways of talking to the ones he supposedly created. The bible has "created and composed by man" written all over it.

Don

• jws
    jws

Sure the WT deceived you with its claim to be God's channel but why for so many is there a subsequent loss of faith in God ? It puzzles me and makes me wonder why they were JW's in the first place.

I was born in and I left because I found out the JWs weren't a chosen organization. It was just a bunch of men acting on their whims and doing damage along the way. So I decided to fade.

What next? I still believed the basic principles the JWs taught. That the Bible was the word of God, that God was not a trinity, etc., etc. Although there were many beliefs I wasn't so sure of anymore. One thing I did know is I despised the rituals in other churches. I knew from my JW beliefs that they weren't the answer either. I decided to study on my own and not be part of a church.

An ex-girlfriend thought I should have some teaching, so I studied with a Lutheran for a while. He taught me aspects of the Bible I had never heard before, like Grace. As for the trinity, some things seemed to indicate it. I left it on the "does it really matter" pile.

After that ended, I went solo for several years. When I married and my wife was going through some issues, she wanted to go to a church. We went to at least half a dozen. None of them fit right for me, but I went to one my wife liked. When she got through her issue, we stopped going. Didn't like the contemporary christian music they played anyway.

As I studied more, I learned just how fragile our belief system was. I looked with an open mind at things I had just assumed were fact. Like the Bible wasn't some sacred book handed down intact for generations. It was a book assembled by men after everybody mentioned in it was dead. And what got included and what didn't was often the subject of intense debate and even fights and I think may have also involved murder. And furthermore, what's been assembled isn't exactly perfect. The haphazard way with which it was assembled explains it's inconsistencies.

Then you also start to hear of other accounts, older than the Bible that contain striking similarities. There are also religious sects that may have influenced teachings and ideas. You get the feeling the Bible is just a rehash of other past religious tales.

You also start to read it critically. The great tales of Genesis just do not make sense. Like starting at the very beginning, how was God's spirit moving over water before the Sun had been created? It would have been ice. Read the creation accounts - both of them - and see if they are in perfect harmony. How about Noah? How many birds were on the ark? Depends on which scripture you read. How could the flood have really happened on a global scale?

You just look for the personality and mind of God and he's a spiteful, impetuous being. At least in the old testament. And then totally different in the new testament. Did God change or did man re-invent God? If God is never changing, then man changed God. So is this book to be trusted?

The Bible is no longer an infalliable book to me. Once you see it's errors, you can't go back. Is there a God? Could be? Was the Bible his story? Maybe some of it. Who knows? We can't prove it.

So what gives us our faith? Christians believe in their version of Christianity based on a book that's not exactly credible. What proof is there that anything in it happened? At least anything that relates to doctrine? Oh it says it's inspired by God. Anybody can write that. Jesus didn't even write any of it. All it is is quotes. Everything Christians believe is based on faith alone, based on the stories in a book.

That book might just have easily been movies like Star Wars. I wonder if years from now there will be a Star Wars religion. They will take all of the independent books about Star Wars written for the past 30+ years and assemble them together and pick and choose which ones agree with what they want to go forward and then create a Star Wars Bible. And if you don't believe it, it is the Dark Side working to keep you from knowing the truth about the good side of the Force.

And the same things about the Bible are true of the Talmud and the Koran. At some point, somebody decided to call it a Holy book because it spoke of God.

Our beliefs aren't built on solid foundations. We can believe if we want, but know that it's based on shaky ground.

That said, sure, there could be a God. But if he wanted to be worshipped and for us to follow his rules, don't you think he'd make it more clear? Wouldn't his book be perfect? And hasn't the world changed enough since the Bible that maybe a new set of rules needs to be set forth? For that matter, why even leave people hanging as to his existence? Why not make it very obvious?

• undercover
    undercover

I was raised as a JW. But even at the height of my indoctrination, I knew something wasn't quite right. I saw all the BS in other religions but couldn't see it in the one I was in. I tried to rationalize that all religion was crap and that the JWs weren't a religion but was "the truth".

Of course, I was completely wrong.

Once the JW faith was exposed as false I realized that I was eat up with cognitive dissonance.

After finding freedom from the JW way of thinking, I re-evaluated everything about God, Jesus, faith, non-faith, belief in God, atheism. It's more than evident that the god(s) of the Bible do not exist as described. These same gods do not exist as promoted by most religions. Religion in general is the belief in something that can't be proved. It's belief that this non-proven entity has some control over our lives, present and future. This equates to living in a fairy tale.

Now I can't disprove the existence of some higher power, be it a god of some sort or a higher evolved being. Maybe even an extra-terrestrial being that may have visited in the past. There's no evidence for or against.

I usually won't argue about "is there" or "isn't there" a god. But without definite proof of a higher power that should deserve my worship or faith, I choose to live my life rationally. I don't expect some invisible source to help me, save me or direct me. I'm in this on my own, I better get my head on straight and make the best decisions possible. In the end, I have only myself to thank or blame...not some character that there is no proof of.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I was a Catholic and converted to JWism. Before doing that I checked out other religions, so I have no desire to study anymore, Although I do find studying religion and how it has evolved very interesting. The longer I was a JW, the more I felt like they were teaching that there actually was no God at all, like an unspoken secret.

As I left the religion, I began to listen to what was inside me. Many of my talks with God, I found were actually my own talks with myself. My most inner deepest, heartfelt quests to be honest with my own self, to know my own self and how I related to others and the universe.

My journey from the beginning is for truth. Awareness has come in stages. Coming to realize there was no God was not what I wanted to find. It hurts to have been scammed, leaves me a bit lost at times, it's very sobering and just not that much fun either, as getting all those goosey feelings from bolts of holy spirit is intoxicating!

We have a beautiful planet, so many wonderful things to enjoy, What religion has done to mankind all fighting over GOD is worse than anything nature has dished out to us. IMO

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Some really great responses above that I enjoyed reading! Thanks!

Dave

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I liked what JWS had to say .

I also learned something when I was young from the oddest of sources.
    In the American television prime time drama known as "DALLAS," a main character
    was dead during one full season of the show. Ratings slipped and they wanted to
    bring Bobby Ewing back to the show. How could they do that if he was dead?

They wrote the script to reflect that the entire last season was a dream. Since then,
    it's generally been forgotten, but occasionally is poked fun at on other television shows.
    A comedy called "ROSEANNE" had the family win the lottery and live high on the hog, but
    then started the next season with it all being a heart-attack-induced dream of her husband.

THE POINT- everything is just in the writing. The Bible was formed by some good writers.
    Occasionally, something slipped through that was difficult to live with- write some more.
    Explain it away, use obscure definitions of words, call it an illustration or hyperbole, leave it
    as literal if it's useful. Just make up sh*t if you have to, but write what you need.

WTS continued to write stuff like that. They were stuck with last season's episodes already
    being aired- The Bible was already written. But this season, we will change it up by explaining
    away the parts that don't fit our doctrine. It's been done in the past- Hell, Christianity was
    founded on it. Write some more. Explain it away somehow.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Are the wt lying about YHWH being One God?

YHWH is one God. The particular Hebrew term used means one in a sense of unity. The Wt does not understand this at all.

I find that leaving the Jws and the alternatives are very dependant on why you left.

Explain....

Certainly if it about people or leadership issues then it would be hard for them to join another religion unless it was very undemanding of them.

No, there is a difference between leadership in the way of helping and the WT's Pharasaical way of lording it over the members. Jesus description in Matt 23 fits the WT to a tee!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit