Left the WT but why the loss of your faith in God?

by Luo bou to 65 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Why are educated people in general much less likely to have "faith in God"? On leaving the WT, we decided that we would educate ourselves, because education is one of the foremost things the WT denied us.

Catholicism may be almost as idiotic as JWism, but a Catholic person is not going to feel that the Catholic church denied them an education.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I wouldn't say I lost faith in god; rather, I gained faith in myself and learned a few critical thinking skills.

• moshe
    moshe

I a credible religion was a reliable as gravity, then we would be having this "faith" problem.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga
    Out of the Box said: I do believe there is something (someone) bigger than us little humans, but I don't think is the God of the Bible or any other religious book.

Well said. I think there is a phenomenal (and maybe even loving) power, but no, it is not the bloodthirsty, jealous Old Testament god. So... I guess I still believe in a god but certainly cannot take the bible to be the infallible "word of the most high". Research into the actual origin and history of the bible will take care of that.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Leaving the WT actually strengthened my relationship with God.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

@ sacolton - similar here, except in the WT I didn't have relationship with God. Now he's my Heavenly Father.

• villabolo
    villabolo

My curiosity got me in and my curiosity and integrity got me out of both the JWs and the belief in the Bible god. If we are going to investigate other religions like the bitchtower tells us to then why, if we are not hypocrites, stop there. I noticed, very early on in my association with JWs, that they were performing a puppet act with Jehovah making him say whatever it is they wished. Yet that mentality is not limited to the JWs. All believers project themselves into "God" eventually making him into their image or the image of something they would like to exist.

This delusion would be tolerable if it weren't for the fact that this "one and only true God" is in the habit of damning those who either "misinterpret" him or in all honesty say that they don't see him at all.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga
    Sacolton said: Leaving the WT actually strengthened my relationship with God.

Interesting point, Sac. Fact is... my strength and confidence in my relationship with the Creator was what gave me the strength to leave the Organization in the first place. Even at that time, I felt that I had a better relationship with the loving Father than the elders did.

That was many years ago... I felt completely alone, no internet, no support group. I did think that the elders were doing the best that they could. I just knew that their actions were not making a loving god happy in any way, and I could not support that.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

1. I was born to Witness parents.

2. What is your definition of "god"? Why should your definition be correct?

3. What is your definition of "faith"? What makes your faith better than blind credulity?

4. As a Witness, I saw nothing attractive about Christendom. For the most part, that hasn't changed.

5. It is hard to put "faith" in something that smacks of superstition.

6. What will my putting faith in your concept of god do for me?

• Maddie
    Maddie

I am one that hasn't lost my faith in God since leaving the JWs. It was a very difficult time for me at first, but I was able to differentiate between the WT and God. I wasn't born into the WT but converted as an adult and was sincerely searching for answers to many, many questions that I had. Although I was devastated when I found out that I was in a cult and that they had cost me my family, my faith in God was still not destroyed and I have now moved on.

Maddie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit