Big Love does the Mormon Temple ceremony this Sunday

by FormerMormon 66 Replies latest jw friends

• sacolton
    sacolton

Is it just by some weird chance that both cults (JW/Mormon) started around the same time?

• pillowheadpete
    pillowheadpete

You’re right, Rebel, this was my first post. (How’d ya know?) No insults intended. My apologies if I’ve offended anyone. I need to tone it down from time to time for sure. I just like to mix it up now and again. *BTW, rebel, Are you a moderator or just a defending rebel by nature? You’re obviously watching this forum closely.*

What do you mean by, “now that we’ve excited a cult”? (My guess is that the cult you are referring to is the mormons.) Who is “we” anyway? Is the “we” you are referring to those that oppose mormons and you count yourself actively among that gropu? My guess is that you are like sacolton and define mormons and jws as cults, but not the fastbecoming non-denominational christiainism which is about casual get togethers, songs and dances and a few prayers. How is this any different? As one who likes theology and studies to find truth, rather than keep score of insults or enjoy exciting groups with opposition, I like to question things. What is it that nondenominationals believe – what unity do they have and what Christ do they stand for? At least cults tend to be organized around a unified cause.

I’ve looked at Eastern Tibetan Buddhism and it’s very appealing. They do many things that are considered sacred to them that are quite odd by the standards of most Western civilizations. But they are so kind and gentle about it. They do not offend. The Dali Lama does not offend, nor does the idea of him being quasi-deity. There are not groups in the U.S. that attack these people. It’s very clear to these people what they believe and their doctrines/beliefs are organized. Yet they do not grow in large measure.

The Jehovah’s Witnesses have their translation of the Bible which was translated by a group of scholars who basically decided what was important and what needed to be changed. Sacolton, my understanding is that the only similarities between JW and Mormons are that they both actively proselyte. It is interesting that their roots are around the same time but likely just coincidental?

So I’ve always been fascinated about why the mormons are targeted so readily and why they grow so rapidly. My take is it is because they believe that they are right – this is why people hate them, and this is why people join them. But I guess this makes sense to me if they profess to follow someone who has claimed to be a prophet. That guy, Joseph Smith, was either what he said he was or he is not. It seems like it would be so easy to disprove, but have you read the Book of Mormon? I’ve read it and it is AMAZING that this thing was brought about because it’s so bizarre in it’s simple message – which is that there is an organization to what God does and when philosophies are followed, civilizations flourish and when they are not they go by the wayside. Kind of a weird deal, but it’s all over the Bible through (with cities getting destroyed and what not). Could Joseph Smith just be the most lucky charlatan in history? Like Michael Scott of the show The Office who is always screwing up and you think he’ll get fired for sure but it lucks out and works in his favor? How can so many people buy in??

At the end of the day, I would think that if there is a god then that entity is organized. And how can it put it’s message out there so that people with grasp it. Would that god want people to get it. How would that god get it out there. The whole prophet thing interests me, kinda like the show Evan Almighty. That’s why a Pope figure, the Dali Lama, or the LDS prophet today (Monson?) fascinates me. If god all of the sudden woke me up with something to do, I’m sure it would be difficult. But I respect mormons, and there history is fascinating. It’s got flaws of them not being Christians by definition, but it is hard to form an argument around all of the humanitarian efforts. Even their Proposition 8 stuff was within the law. It was their members that raised that money. Prominent executives in big businesses included. Not their church. Whether you agree with them or not, isn’t that kind of organization kind of interesting to examine?

Does any of this make sense???? I’m confused.

• rebel8
    rebel8

OK.

To answer you questions, no, I'm not a mod.

I couldn't personally take offense at your statements, since they weren't directed to me, but I did think it was a very odd way to join a forum.

Exited a cult. But I've also excited the cult from time to time too.

We = ex-jws on this forum.

All that other stuff you posted about me/others/Mormons........you're assuming an awful lot.

With all due respect, it is not up to you to decide if those of us who were personally harmed--even have loved ones killed--by a destructive cult.....want to "keep score of insults or enjoy exciting groups with opposition" as you call it.

My question for you is, why are you here? I suspect you are an active jw--you're using their tactics and lingo. Are you?

• pillowheadpete
    pillowheadpete

Honestly, I am not a JW. And if this is for ex-JWs, this will be my last post. I'm not trying to intrude. And in fact I'm sorry for steering this. (I'm not one to chat or post or whatever...)

In fact, my heart goes out to you if you were harmed by them or any other gropu. Truthfully it does. It makes sense to me now why you are here. It makes me very sad to think that you or anyone else would have to deal with having been harmed. No wonder your feelings are strong. As such you become an authority and one I would trust - because those feelings are warranted.

I do not know why I am here, actually. I'm just a guy who is lost and trying to find truth. I do not believe that the JWs have this to offer. I am not even investigating their faith. Not interested in the least.

In all honesty, I'm interested in the Mormon faith. There is so much said both ways - good and bad about Mormons. Maybe my search should be an inward one instead of going to places like this. I could reply all day to things and it would not likely get me further along my way.

I'm just like all of us I guess. Wasn't it Brett Michaels from Poison who said, "Give me something to believe in...."?

• undercover
    undercover

PHP,

This site is open to everyone, so you don't have to leave just because the majority are ex-JWs. You can learn a lot about how religion controls people's lives by listening(reading) the experiences of those who have been damaged by that religion.

If you're interested in any religion be sure to thoroughly investigate it before you get too involved in it. You mentioned being interested in Mormonism. After you talk to a couple of missionaries, read their literature, visit their websites, be sure to go to exmormon.org to get the perspective of those who have left that faith. Compare what the religion promises, what they require to what people have actually experienced and the things they learned that the church doesn't want you to know.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    I'm just like all of us I guess. Wasn't it Brett Michaels from Poison who said, "Give me something to believe in...."?

Then believe in yourself first. NO organization has the answer if you first don't find it in yourself. A lot of people want answers handed to them because it's easy. They want to belong - not an unusual human trait. People should always understand, that for organizations that are cults or cultlike, membership will most often mean selling your soul to belong. Ask an organization what they teach, then go online or speak to those who have left to find out how they are treated if they disagree at some point. If the two are very different, then you should sit back and think about what you could lose if you don't value the experience of those who have left. People leaving are not all bitter - but many have good reason to be, so listen carefully to what they say.

The only advice that I would give any of my own kids would be to never get baptized in any religion until you are about 50 years old. That way, you retain the freedom to question and to learn all other things before a final committment. sammieswife.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

pillowheadpete,

When I was searching out a religion, I was very drawn to the Mormans, but chose Jehovahs Witness instead. When comparing the two, (I really did not thoroughly study and compare them before becoming a JW, ...at the time JW's just had a better sales pitch)

There are alot more things more appealling about Mormans than JW's IMO, as they are not against higher education, they do celebrate holidays, going door to door is not a life requirement, they do not disfellowship for something like smoking, they have programs/activities set up for the youth, women, etc etc.

Having not been a Morman, only what I have read, they do have people that come away from the religion with the same problems, scars, that JW's do. Although they may seem more mainstream, I find that they have a cult like characteristic as do the JW's. You can do your own research as I think undercovers post would be most helpful to follow his advice.

purps

• rebel8
    rebel8

This forum is for everyone. You do not have to be an ex-jw to participate here.

The jw organization is dangerous, and thus the strong feelings you will notice in many of the posts.

WT Victims Memorial

Watchtower database of pedophiles that they kept secret from authorities and members (so they couldn't protect their kids)

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Oh forgot - they announced today that it is going ahead. I can't wait. It's always so interesting to see the 'special' things that go on in other organizations....now, I would love to see the goings on deep inside the bowels of the scientology facilities. Wasn't it just yesterday that the news reported that Katie Holmes had to write out her confessions of wrong doing every day for her hubby as part of the scientology ritual? I think it would be a great movie! sammieswife.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Having recently seen a TV show centered around a JW family, and all the inaccurate things we saw in it,

do you think Big LOve will accurately depict the Mormon Temple ceremony?

purps

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit