Notes from 2008-2009 Special Assembly Day,Rosenburg,Texas 28Feb

by av8orntexas 26 Replies latest jw friends

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

Ok everyone. This was my first assembly/convention of ANY type since the 2002 Convention at the Dome in Houston. I do attend from time to time,probably enough to keep up with whats going on. As I am now in a Spanish Congregation , and practically inactive,no one in this circuit knows my siuation ( as others have said...go to a foreign language congo and you'll fade faster than Jordan on a baseline jumper. ) This assembley was actually in my old circuit. I want to say Texas 16. I can say it covers the areas south/southeast of Houston. ClearLake,Texas City, La Marque, Galveston,Freeport,Pearland, Friendswood,LakeJackson,Passdena.

Southeast Harris County, Brazoria County,Glaveston County,etc....

Thus this weekend was all about doing more,more,more..

SPECIAL ASSEMBLY DAY

2008-2009 Special Day Assembly

Theme:“Keep Watching the Ministry…, That You Fulfill It”** Col. 4:17 **

Morning Program

9:50 Song No. 148 and Prayer
    10:00 “Keep Your Ministry to the Fore”
    10:15 “Overcoming Challenges to Our Ministry”
    10:40 “Cultivate What You Have Planted”
    10:55 Song No. 43 and Announcements
    11:05 “How We Recommend Ourselves as Ministers”
    11:35 Dedication and Baptism
    12:05 Song No. 202

Afternoon Program

1:30 Song No. 48
    1:35 Experiences
    1:45 Watchtower Summary
    2:15 “Young and Old Enjoy the Ministry”
    2:30 “Youths Who Fulfill the Ministry”
    2:45 Song No. 107 and Announcements
    2:55 “Highly Esteem Your Ministry”
    3:55 Song No. 181 and Prayer

10:00 “Keep Your Ministry to the Fore”

Did not catch the brothers name,but basically went over what will be talked about for the day.

"Do we view the ministry as a treasure ?"

10:15 “Overcoming Challenges to Our Ministry”

This part was given by the circuit Overseer Craig Smith. Alot of ego stroking for the borg here.

He stated that there are 7 billion people on earth,yet only 7 million are qualified to carry the name of Jehovah..........Yeeah. Only 7 million were foolish enough to volunteer. He made these comments from the platform :

"Because we have a lack of formal education,we are sometimes intimidated at the door"

"Maybe we're shy"

"Due to Hurricane Ike, our home or job situation may not be the best right now." I guess not !!!! If I lost my job, my roof still isn't repaired, I'm guessing going door to door bugging some poor sap to join me in misery would be clouding my mind.

Experiences

Sister Stein- Baptized in 1951,reg pioneered 14 years, and recently had hip replacement surgery. Says she was depressed,but found time to witness to Phys Therapist.

Brother Smith then Asked, "Are you able to go out as much as we'd you'd like ?"

She thought of it for a few mintues,and responded, " I get out with my cane, when I can." This sister should be enjoying her retirement ! Not being dragged from house to house in the Texas heat.

Next experience came from a married couple, Bro and Sis Heath. They're were prob about 23-26 tops. Both Regular Pioneers. Young. She went first. She mentioned she puts in about 15hours a month and prayed to Jehovah about pioneering because

" I thought about the amount of time I spent at work and the time I spent in service and it wasn't right" I used to think that way, and it's the worse reason to do anything. The feeling of ANYTHING not WTS related was wrong, and before you know it, you're on that gulit trip to Pioneering,Bethel, aor whatever everyone in your congo throws at you. " Why are you_________? " Pick one.....Pioneering ? At Bethel ? Going to Gilead ?

Bro Heath her husband. Fine young man I'm sure,but had the personality of a ROCK. If he wasn't home schooled, I'm sure he was beat-the hell -up at school. He says " I don't say much, and don't have much to say when it comes to friends ( cuz I'm so pretty everybody likes me !!! )He kept referring to himself in the past as a "youngone" I just found that annoying for someone reason. Basically says he joined because he thinks it makes Jehovah proud and he can be an example to younger ones in the Congo.

Last Experience was given by brother Myles, he is a contract utility Tech for a local light company. He had to work a minimum of 40 hours a week after the hurricane. Which almost caused him to have to come off the rolls. When asked why it was important to remain a pioneer, he said:

" I saw all the friends come into the hall in the mornings and they looked so happy. I wanted to remain a part of that group." I hate the cookie cutter comments. Very genaric.

So there you have it. Though I need to be working to help others get their lights restored, I'd RATHER give you some magazines you can't even freaking READ cuz you're still in the DARK !!!!

Brother Smith used the scriptures Acts 16:13 to show we can be creative as to where people are found.

Also used Acts 28:23, mentioning we can witness to the UPS,MAIL and FEDEX guys when they come to our home, follwed by this next demo.

A brothers TV is not working he calls a repair man. Guy comes in and pretends to be fixing TV. At this point the brother, goes:

"Excuse me, I couldn't help but notice you looking at those magazines" Yeah right. My mom leaves mags all over the place and NO ONE EVER came by tripping over them selves to look at them

The repair guy, says , "well I'm of Jewish faith,but yes I couldn't help but notice them. Are they bible publications ?" All these quotes I made sure they are their words. Who says this stuff ? and WHO WRITES IT IS WHAT I REALLY want to know.

10:40 “Cultivate What You Have Planted”

This part was gievn by Bro Whitaker from the Texas City Congo. I was bored at this point and admit, I got no notes from this part.

10:55 Song No. 43 and Announcements

Walked around, said hi to people I knew, and loitered.

11:05 “How We Recommend Ourselves as Ministers”

Since I was busy walking around, trying to wake up, I didn't get the name of who gave this part. But did get a bit of the beginning.

He pointed to the brothers who are on RBC, Disaster Relief and Hospital Commitees. Having worked with the first two, I can say the ONLY thing a person is recommending is that they are ready to get on the FAST TRACK to MS, Elder, CO or whatever title you are chasing.

I know of one brother personally who is in Disaster Relief and it seems to be more about title to me. Higher up you are, the less you do.

He gave two examples of a brother an sister,both in the Houston area ( allegedly )

First a brother was on the local Metro Bus in Houston. The Brother discovered that the Metro Driver gave him 25cents too much.

You know whats next right ? CUZ,EVERYBODY Knows and cares about the Dubs and it's ALL about the Dubs.....

the driver says, " I saw those magazines and wanted to see what you would do, and I've been trying to find a place to worship."

The brother then go home and prays to Jehovah saying, " I almost sold your name for a quarter !!!!"

The next exmaple was of a sister whose roof was damaged by Hurricane Ike. The brothers came by and tarped her roof for her and her Chinese neighbor ( I still don't know what that had to do with anything ) noticed. He then states

"I'm Catholic, and no Catholics have come by to Tarp my roof !" She then tells the brothers who, yes, tarped his roof.

He is now an unbatized publisher and attending meetings. Isn't this great news friends ? ( Loud applause )

The brother then goes on to mention we honor Jehovah and recommend ourselves through GOOD and BAD reports.

He mentioned and i as above......quote:

"If bad reports come out in the media, we shouldn't doubt this is the truth." ( Just pretend that elephant isn't standing in the corner brothers and sisters.)

To top this part off, one last experience was given. Of course, no name, no congo, or location or time.

"One of our sisters WANTED to become a witness, and her family are MULTI-MILLIONAIRES."

She was given 24-hours to make up her mind.

"Friends, I am proud to say our sister, has spent the last 42 years in the full-time service !!! ( loud applause ) "

"She escaped the emptiness and selfishness of her family, and has conned helped more than 100 people into the truth.

11:35 Dedication and Baptism

Didn't get alot of notes, i was tired. I'd worked the night before,flights at work were crazy and I was uber hungry at this point.

Brother Jones from the La Marque Congo gave this part. He made mention that in time we should see a transformation come over us. We should see it in our dress, speech, attittude and THINKING ( The GB will take care of that, don't you worry. ) PublisherInmate NO67543899 !!!!

He went on to tell the new Publishers Inmates, that whenever thwey are thinking about missing a meeting they should open their bible to hEBREWS 10:23-25

There were 7 baptized. They all looked to be from 13 to 21,22 tops. They were all young Attendance was about 1335. I wrote it down in my song book which is at home. I'll post the correct numbers with the second half tommorow. There is one experience I thought was a bit over the top.

12:05 Song No. 202

Hit the doors and got some MacDonalds. And yes, came back and like the first half stayed AWAKE. In the past I have actually gone to my car and slept for an hour or so,lol

Ok tommorow I will try to get the second half in here for you all.

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

I think I wrote too much

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

Those sound like the same talks that were given 5 years ago at the last assembly I attended. So, I didn't miss much.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

av:

I think I wrote too much

nah, your effort is appreciated. It serves as a reminder of why I am soooooo glad I don't go to those Boasting Sessions (as WTWizard calls em).

As to the answer to your question...NO ONE SAYS THAT CRAP. I can tell you from personal experience and MTS training that the assembly "experiences" are massaged to death to match the message the GB wants sent.

Here is what happens "behind the scenes": .. a few months before the SAD or CA, usually over the summer, the CO will send out a letter (or email these days) to all the POs in the circuit, asking for experiences that match whatever the outlines call for. Emphasis is placed on the publishers being nominated drafted for the privlege torture of giving the experience made up bull$hit are "publishers in good standing and excellent examples in the congregation." The list of prospective publishers suckas is forwarded to the CO who then forwards them to the elder handling the part. It will often be the PO that nominated the best experiences that gets the "Atta Boy" and gives the part.

Fast forward a few weeks.... Brother and Sistah Sucka is approached by their PO to be on the part. They are sworn to secrecy. "What a Blessin' from Jehovah!" They will meet for several rehearsals "experience massages" with other explempary publishers and pioneers suckas where the CO and other circuit heavies will listen to the parts, sometimes the DO too. (They may have to travel hours and miss work to go to a Kingdom Hall wherever the CO is serving that week, even if it is not convenient for the participants suckas...as long as it is convenient for the CO, that is what matters.) If the parts are not exciting enough/don't quite meet the criteria/etc...then the CO and DO will subtly "suggest" things that might have happened. Pretty soon, the part that is given performed on the assembly looks very little like the original boring experience.

If for some reason no suitable experiences in the circuit can be had, then the elder handling the part will have some Exemplary Pioneers and Elders Kiss-a$$es "reinact" the part (read that make the $hit completely up) based on an experience in the outline from the Society.

Either way, the Society will get the message they want out to the publishers unwashed masses in the circuit.

I know, this is what they did to me in a part I had to give. A close friend later told me I sounded so generic since they knew what really happened. She also noticed I almost never used the pronoun "I" when giving the part. It was no longer my experience...which wasn;t that exciting anyway.

I am soooo glad I don't have to do that crap anymore. Sorry you are having to go...why DID you go anyway?

Snakes ()

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I can't believe you could set through this I think I would just start puking everywhere about 10 minutes in...

• mostlydead
    mostlydead

I also had a friend whose 14 year old daughter was considered an "exemplary youth" in the congregation and was invited to participate in a circuit assembly program. She was given a list that they wanted her to claim was her weekly spiritual routine, however, some of the things on the list were not actually in her routine, for instance she didn't read the Bible every single solitary day and not for 15 minutes in the morning. That sort of thing. Well, she told the brother who was coordinating the part that she didn't feel comfortable claiming that this was her schedule, but he told her not to worry about it, just recite the list as given. Her mother and father (who was an elder at the time) went with her to speak to the brother, after which she was dismissed from the part. They found some other exemplary youth who was willing to say those things. At the time, 20 years ago, I was very disturbed by this but thought it was an isolated instance. I've found out since that it's quite commonplace.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I and others have posted about lying during ass-embly parts, being told to.

the driver says, " I saw those magazines and wanted to see what you would do, and I've been trying to find a place to worship."

I don't see an emoticon for how funny that is.

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land

Having participated in several assembly parts, I can say that Snake's description of how it works is 100% spot on. The parts are rehearsed, massaged, what you say is tweaked and "tuned", and you say it JUST LIKE THEY FINALLY APPROVED OF IT when you get up on the stage.

• Mary
    Mary
    First a brother was on the local Metro Bus in Houston. The Brother discovered that the Metro Driver gave him 25cents too much.......the driver says, " I saw those magazines and wanted to see what you would do, and I've been trying to find a place to worship." The brother then go home and prays to Jehovah saying, " I almost sold your name for a quarter !!!!"

Oh good lord.....out of everything that was said, this is got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.......Whoever writes the scripts for the ASSemblies should maybe try smoking some pot.....or even some crack, before they put pen to paper.

Free Smiley FaceFree Smiley FaceFree Smiley Face

• asilentone
    asilentone

avorn, you have PM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit