What Got YOU Out Of The Organization?

by minimus 53 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

As an elder, it REALLY started getting to me, the hypocrisy and endless rules. I knew for a while it was very imperfect but I'd pacify myself into thinking the fact that I was an elder, maybe I could at least help the downtrodden ones. But there came a point where I just couldn't listen to the BS anymore and I just couldn't enforce the Pharisaical rules any longer.

• Dagney
    Dagney

I realized in a moment of clarity I would never be good enough. No matter how productive you are, how many hours of service you put in, or how well you live your life and take care of your family..."mother" always was there at every meeting questioning every aspect of your life. I had enough. Never went back.

The generation change and the blood issue, counting time, DF'g/shunning, etc. were the things I always knew were BS. But the way I felt one day at the WT study was the the thing that made me walk away and never go back.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

child abuse got me questioning. Then a study insisted on using a different bible and her brother had studied but had stopped because of info he'd got from the internet some of which we had to try and explain. But what practically pushed me out was lying and huge debt from supporting poor pioneers and bethelites.

• minimus
    minimus

I'm amazed by the varying responses!

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

Just up a walked out one day. Decided it wasn't for me.

I guess the biggest thing was the lack of love I felt when I move to a new congr.

But the major thing that got me thinking was when I was at a wedding and the elder doing the service said that the wedding bans were pagan symbols but they didn't recognize them a pagan anymore. I thought "How can they do that and still call Christmas and birthdays pagan?". It was the beginning of the end for me.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

I wanted to be with my four apostate siblings...They were enjoying life to the full and I was miserable with (like Lady Lee) my abusive (boring as hell) elder husband

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

The UN affiliation is what got me. Still unbelievable and shameful.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Thinking with an open mind for the first time in forty yrs.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

well, it was a long, slow process which included many years of serious doubt and unhappiness with the organization, but, the rapid decline really began back in '95 with the change in the generation.........it was just too much to swallow........then, a series of events with members of the congregation and in my personal life happened in quick succession and when I finally got called to the jc it was a relief to walk in and tell them I no longer wanted to be a jw. technically, they df'd me that night, i think it was some time in late '98 or early '99, but, my heart hadn't been a jw for quite some time. when i walked out of the kh after the jc, i felt as if a huge weight had been lifted off me and i was filled with joy and the possibilities of a new life ahead. i have never regretted leaving and will never return. they have nothing i am interested in, even though my sister and her family are still all in. i know that family isn't necessarily those you are born with and grow up with, and have met and made friends who are closer to me than my fleshly family.

Terri

• minimus
    minimus

For many of us, it takes time (sometimes a lot) to get out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit