One-third of Europeans blame the economic crisis on....

by BurnTheShips 42 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

You Brits are not as antisemitic as they are in Europe.

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Hamilcarr, your survey isn't very scientific. There is a lot of antisemitism in Europe, and it is on the rise. Here is an exhaustive report. Several synagogues were firebombed and attacked in the last few months days in France as well.

http://pewglobal.org/reports/pdf/262.pdf

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

May I remind the Europeans that we recently elected a non-white President of Muslim ancestry. How many enlightened European nations can lay such a claim? Many of us are proud of this, personally I think we made a poor choice regardless of race, but still.

Here is a report on the scientific survey I posted above, please note the difference with America and maybe-still-Great Britain:

Antisemitism and Islamophobia rising across Europe, survey finds

Antisemitism and Islamophobia are on the rise across Europe, according to a survey of global opinion released yesterday.

In contrast to the US and Britain where unfavourable opinion of Jews has been stable and low for several years at between 7 and 9%, the Pew Survey of Global Attitudes found that hostile attitudes to Jews were rising all across continental Europe from Russia and Poland in the east to Spain and France in the west.

The survey found that suspicion of Muslims in Europe was considerably higher than hostility to Jews, but that the increase in antisemitism had taken place much more rapidly.

"Great Britain stands out as the only European country included in the survey where there has not been a substantial increase in antisemitic attitudes," the survey found.

Antisemitism has more than doubled in Spain over the past three years, with a rise from 21% to 46%, the survey of almost 25,000 people across 24 countries found, while more than one in three Poles and Russians also had unfavourable opinions of Jews.

In the same period antisemitism in Germany and France also rose - from 21% to 25% in Germany and from 12% to 20% in France among those saying they had unfavourable opinions of Jews.

"Opinions of Muslims in almost all of these countries was were more negative than are views of Jews," analysts said. While Americans and Britons displayed the lowest levels of antisemitism, one in four in both countries were hostile to Muslims.

Such Islamophobia was lower than in the rest of Europe. More than half of Spaniards and half of Germans said that they did not like Muslims and the figures for Poland and France were 46% and 38% for those holding unfavourable opinions of Muslims.

People who were antisemitic were likely also to be Islamophobes. Prejudice was marked among older generations and appeared to be class based. People over 50 and of low education were more likely to be prejudiced.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    a country where 80% of its people do not have a passport

That is meaningless. Do you realize how large the US is? You can travel for thousands of kilometers and still be inside the country. I can travel for more than 800 kilometers from my home and still be in my home state (Florida)! People that live in small countries and travel more than a hundred kilometers from home need passports much more.

BTS

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

So BTS do you yourself believe this survey and its results ?

One third hey ?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Pretty bad Homerovah. It seems legitimate and consistent with the other, larger survey I just posted.

BTS

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Remember that the "news" media has two purposes,

1. Provide information

2. Direct attention and shape opinion.

So, I ask myself, what information is being provided and by whom? How are they attempting to shape my opinion and to what purpose?

Dave

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

I'm sorry I just have to question the accuracy and truthfulness of the survey.

If that survey was done in North America I'm sure the results would be dramatically lower.

I just cant see 30%, this isn't the great depression of the 1920's when those results may very well be true.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Its a common occurrence when there is a an economic down turn in select counties that some of the naturally indigenous people of that country

point the finger directly at minorities and immigrants and even religious groups for the down turn and the troubles.

A standing example of that was in Germany in the late 1920's when Hitler came into power and you know the story on that scenario.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

May I remind the Europeans that we recently elected a non-white President of Muslim ancestry. How many enlightened European nations can lay such a claim?

You know progressive Europeans admire the man.

Do you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit