As a JW Did you Feel you Could Fully Trust the Elders ?

by flipper 43 Replies latest jw friends

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

Flipper,

"Or , did you find out in time that they were just humans like you and me"

I did not trust one single elder, NO they were not like me, they found it too easy to lie, and they knew they could get away with almost anything.

When they gave talks, it was just pretty words, sometimes not pretty.

I publicly called them in a watchtower session that they were FAT ELDERS this was in line with scriptures that was being discussed in Ez 7.

Another watchtower session (Isaiah 32 crag in the desert) I mentioned that they turned out to be just a mirage no bodily substance at all.

I also accused them PUBLICALLY OF Perjury…………..this made two circuit overseers to call on me.

I put up with it at the time, thinking that this was still Jehovahs Org . But now I find them absolutely detestable.

KT

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

If you thought that you had found a good one, he would turn out to be totally gutless .

He would not pursue a grievance that you had , because he had to toe the party line,

Totally without any principle whatsoever.

KT

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I could not trust the hounders once I saw them instructing me to look and act happy at a$$emblies without making even an attempt to solve the problems (which should have been blatantly obvious to them). They kept on insisting that I live up to exemplary standards without getting exemplary rewards. Polished shoes, a white dress shirt, wearing a T-shirt in the hottest summer weather, and having the collar button done in very hot weather were a must. And hounding me to do field circus, as if I was slipping, when it was only the 3rd of the month.

But the one thing that taught me to not trust the hounders the most was when they told me to just meet other men at a$$emblies. Neither the hounders nor Jehovah were inclined to do anything to correct the issue. It became obvious that Jehovah's agenda was, and always will be (and always was going to be) was for me to live either as a monk, a missionary, or go through the Value Destroyer Training School to build up religion so they could plunge the whole world into the Second Dark Ages. The hounders wanted me in that damn Value Destroyer Training School, and I wanted nothing to do with anything that would require me to travel in places where the Washtowel would select.

One thing is true now: The hounders (and Jehovah) can trust me to do all I can to ruin religion.

• Anator
    Anator

I had some huge eye openers but especially during one meeting (back room scenario) where I was accused of something I did not say and at the same time the elders totally denied something that they did say. So there I was in the back room with three elders and no defense, no arbitrator on my side. It totally freaked me out! There was one elder that was totally lying. I stopped believing in them after that point. Fortunately, nothing bad happened after that meeting but my trust in them was totally shattered. I believe, there is a 'blue code of silence' in that arrangement. They look out for each other it seems and not for the flock that we were once believed. I believed for a long time that they were to 'serve' the congregation. Now it seems that the congregation 'serves' the elders. I have no idea why so many of them need to lie. What do they have to gain? There is no monatary value to this arrangement. I'm guessing a little power which some may have never had before, due to the fact that some have professions of janitors and so on, goes straight to their heads. I found out, you have no defense, they make you second guess yourself, because they have the uncanny talent of always turning it on you. They have it in there heads, they don't answer to you.....you answer to them. So it is always a lose....lose situation.

• hotspur
    hotspur

I reckon it's very difficult to trust anyone in their position of 'authority'

Let's face it, they have their copy of the rule book. Then they expect you to abide by those rules. All well and good if you're allowed to see said rules but you're not - so there is no 'level playing-field'.

You need to trust them but how can you if they have more information than you?

I could write a book on this!

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

It's hard to trust a liar...

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

How can you trust men who believe that masturbation will lead to homosexuality?

• flipper
    flipper

Thanks for all the great comments ! Really good thought out comments by all of you !

GARY BUSS- Very true. Most elders were pricks . Hard to trust them.

THE CHICKENNEST- I agree . I saw lots of elders get involved in " get rich qick " schemes and took brothers and sisters money and ran with it. The elders never got more than a slap on the wrist for some of these dishonest business schemes.

MEGAFLOWER- I'm so sorry that you and your husband had a situation turned around on you by the elders to make you look like the bad people. I had that happen as well just before I stopped attending. They seem to be experts at shifting the blame for things .

CHELLECHELLE- I agree with you that trust comes " after understanding one another on a deeper level". The elders never understood us on a deeper level , or were we allowed to really understand them ! I'm sorry you saw lots of your friends get hurt by the elders - I saw that as well over the years. It's good to be out of the cult.

JAMIEBOWERS - Once again we see how the elders shifted the blame to you for your suffering child abuse and spousal abuse. I'm so sorry you suffered so much without them even helping you at all. It's tragic.

SNAKES - It's really great that you were looked up to as a really caring elder , yet felt your hands were tied to only do so much to help others . It's good that the older sister still recognizes that you were one of the " good " elders ! Perhaps if you just have lunch with her sometime she could see that you are STILL a caring person - even after being in the JW cult. But your friend is so right - you have grown as a person since leaving the cult , and to " never go back ". You really have come " full circle " since I've known you , and I know it's been hard. I'm so sorry you have had to see that these elders you once held as friends - really weren't friends at all. Please know that we care here on the board though. Hang in there friend.

SHOPAHOLIC- No. I agree.

MAMOCHAN 13 - That was disgusting that the elder shook the Bible at you and said he " didn't have to read you any scriptures ! " What a jerk. It probably would have been better to tell the appeal committee what he did - however I understand your intimidation of them because they instill " fear " into us trying to make us think they are " God " himself ! They can be very intimidating. I'm glad that you've moved on and seen the " real light ".

GOSHAWK- So you also saw that you couldn't trust the elders ? Especially if you were going to college- they probably hassled you at times about it.

KAYTEE- It sounds like you really had steel brass balls to call out the elders publicly like you did ! Cool ! I admire that. The elders never feel like anyone will ever stand up to them- that's why they think they can get away with abusing others.

WT WIZARD- It seems like the elders really had it out for you too. They tried to control your clothing, who you talked with, everything ! I'm glad you got out so you can help others leave the cult now.

ANATOR- Wow. Excellent post at describing the injustices you went through. I'm sorry you went through that. I too know what it's liked to be trapped- sitting in front of 3 aggressive men trying to manipulate and break your will down ! They definitely lie and " cover " for one another as elders. Your statement was so dead on correct when you said, " the elders were there to serve the congregation, now it seems the congregation serves the elders. " Very true. They try to make it seem we have to answer to them, not them answer to us. I think like you do it was a total " power trip " as these guys had no power in the rest of their life - so they really dug having power over people. Twisted.

HOTSPUR- Very true what you say. There is information in the elders " Shepherding the Flock of God " book that rank and file publishers know nothing about ! That's why I downloaded a copy of the elders book after being out of the organization. Then I saw what the real rights were of the publishers. But you are right - the elders use that book to get a leg up on the publishers !

QUIRKY- Very true- it is hard to trust a liar.

LEAVING WT- It is hard to trust men who say masturbating leads to homosexuality ! Very true. It's hard to trust anything the leaders in the witnesses say ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• parakeet
    parakeet

When I was a dub kid, sure, I trusted the elders. I was braindead.

Now I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. If any call on me in a misguided attempt to "shepherd," they'll have the door slammed in their faces. They're used to that.

• Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.
    Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.

Trust an elder? Oh yeah. This needs to be in the humourous section.

The elders I knew could certainly be trusted - to be sly, backstabbing, meddling, bad company - just to mention a few of their traits.

A little ditty I used to sing to myself about the elders (expletives removed) -

"They will use you,

they will abuse you,

quite often they will accuse you,

but there's no way way they will ever excuse you."

Cheeses. Apostate extraordinaire

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit