Lady Lee's story

by Lady Lee 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Born in Toronto, Canada in 1952, I lived with my parents and three younger brothers until I was ten years old. There was a lot of violence in our home. My father was an abusive, rageful man who took out all his frustrations on his family. My mother, in the guise of "protecting" us from him, frequently inflicted her own version of abuse on us. And when they weren't busy letting their frustrations out on us, they let it out on each other. By six years old, I was frequently depressed and fearful.
    When I was ten, my parents separated, and the two youngest boys went to live with my mother, while the oldest of the boys and I stayed in Toronto to live with my father. My earliest memories of sexual abuse start around this time and the abuse continued for almost three years before he was reported to the police. After a court case, my mother was granted custody of all four children and along with her common-law husband and their daughter we went to live in Montreal.

It was during this time that she began studying with the Jehovah's Witnesses. All five children were taken to meetings and expected to participate in the door-to-door ministry. At seventeen I was baptized as a Witness and at nineteen I was pushed into marriage with a "new brother" in the congregation. After two weeks of marriage I knew that it was a terrible mistake but felt trapped into trying to make it work since divorce was not accepted by the Watchtower organization.

We had two children during our fifteen years together. He became an elder in the congregation. Although other people thought we had a wonderful marriage, inside I was dying and on the outside busy pretending that all we were happy. My husband was emotionally abusive to both the children and myself. He used scripture to coerce us into "acceptable" behavior. He also used scripture to get his deviant sexual needs met, stating that if I did not submit to his sexual demands, I would be responsible for "blood-guilt" if he committed adultery.

After the years of childhood abuse, and fourteen years of abuse in the marriage, I had a breakdown and started therapy. Initially dealt with the childhood abuse but there were so many similar abuse issues in the marriage that before long the full impact of reliving the abuse of my childhood overwhelmed me. I became very suicidal and realized that I had to either leave the marriage (and the Witnesses too) or I would die.

It took about a year for me to finally get my divorce and to rebuild my life. I went back to school, worked part-time, and raised my two daughters. My mother who is still a Witness rarely talks to me. None of my old Witness friends speak to me. Extended family who are Witnesses never call. I am never invited to any family gatherings.

But I have two daughters and a grand-daughter that I love. For the last twelve years I have been working with adult survivors of abuse, a career which I find extremely rewarding. I am the first person in my family to go to and graduate from college or university. I have close friends who love me for who I am. And I am still growing. Learning to live well really is the best revenge.

--------------------
    Professional Profile
    I studied in a three-year professional program in Social Counseling at Dawson College and graduated in 1988. I also have a BA in Applied Social Science (Focus on group counseling and facilitation).

In 1987 I began a non-profit organization "The Centre for Incest Healing" which provided counseling to adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse and their families, provided information and referral for survivors, and provided information and guest lecturers for the community. The Center provided services for over six hundred individuals during the seven years before it was shut down due to lack of funding.

Since 1988, I have worked in private practice, providing counseling to adult survivors of childhood abuse and their families and in the last three years have provided information and support to recovering ex-Jehovah's Witnesses.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Thanks, LL for sharing your info. You have alot to offer here. j2bf

• LB
    LB

Lady when I read stories like your it makes me reflect back on my life. I didn't have it too bad. In the long run, my becoming a witness was my own dumb idea. Had the normal childhood and the normal lousy marriage. All in all, things aren't so bad now.

Sounds like you've pulled your life together and managed to do some good along the way. Way to go. Be proud.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Lady Lee,welcome to our forum.Your going to meet a lot of nice people here and some real characters...OUTLAW

• wallaby jack
    wallaby jack

Welcome aboard LadyLee,

I've seen your name up there in chat and am pleased you've posted your story. It's one of hope for all the other suffering women out there that they can break free, get an education and thier soul back. (reading about your dislocation from family is heartbreaking but hey .. these folks 'll give you more fun at xmas anyhow

best wishes and happy posting, unclebruce

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Thanks for your very quick responses - curious bunch aren't you all hehehe.Will try to find your stories in the bunch - might have digging to do though

• BoozeRunner
    BoozeRunner

Lady Lee, TY for sharing your story. You certainly have taken the negatves you suffered and turned them into positives by reaching out to help others. Hats off to ya!!!

BTW, you can find some abbreviated stories on WhosWho. Another way is, if I saw a correct THREAD title by Simon(which I plan to check out momentarily) is to find threads started by members here.

see ya in chat soon,
    Boozy

• larc
    larc

Also,

You can go to the top of the page and do a search for the "Hello, hello," tread. A lot of our stories are there. At the bottom of the page you may want to go to the SilentLambs web site, if you haven't done so aleady. SilentLambs is doing work similiar to yours.

Lady Lee, you should be very proud of your accomplishments. You really grew up through the concrete and flourished. I am sure you are an inspiration to those you counsel. I am glad you are with us.

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Lady Lee,
    Love your name BTW. Enjoyed reading your story. Am familiar with emotional abuse and dying on the inside while everyone around you thinks you have a good marriage. Been there done that!
    Good to see another woman strongly reaching for her inner desires and getting them fulfilled!!
    TW

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Lady Lee,

Welcome and thank you for sharing your story. I can really relate to some of what you went through...I too am an adult survivor of incest; I also divorced and left the org; now I am attending university (first in my family) and working on a Bachelor's in Social Work; and, finally, I'm raising my two children on my own. Reading your story this morning, I was truly struck by the similarities. I understand those feelings of dying inside so well but therapy did a world of good for me, too. My hat is off to you for having the strength and courage to take care of yourself and your children. Breaking the cycle is so difficult and yet, what else can we do?? I couldn't bear for my children to experience what I had as a child. Most of my family are still dubs and, of course, don't speak to me but that's actually a good thing as they are still pretty sick individuals. It is sad when families are broken apart; yet, in some cases as in mine, it may be a blessing in disguise.

Again, thank you for sharing a part of yourself with us.

Dana

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end...
    Closing Time, Semisonic

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit