I am a Return Visit

by besty 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• besty
    besty

Two nice middle aged ladies knocked the door this morning, Panda tract in hand.

Order of events was panda tract, scripture about each one residing under a fig tree, and then because I didn't object the Feb 2009 Awake! 'Earth Designed For Life' <side point - note the magazine title is not in the form of a rhetorical question, but rather a statement of fact>

A few questions about my belief in God and I'm in the book for an RV - cool.

So this is a great Awake:

1 - The inside cover blurb about the main article says: "Everything about planet Earth indicates that it was made to support life. Is this situation just an incredible fluke, or does it reflect purposeful design?"

BZZZZZ - false dichotomy in the 2nd sentence - oh dear

2 - Page 5 - a quote - "Our planet's tilt axis seems to be 'just right'" says the book Rare Earth - Why Complex Life is Uncommon In The Universe - end quote. On checking the authors credentials it is clear they are evolutionist and have a completely opposing view on the origin of life to this creationist Awake magazine. Surely some intellectual dishonesty or at least being economical with the full viewpoint here?

3 - Page 30 - Watching The World - the infamous Pew Forum survey about 44% of adults having changed religious viewpoint. What about same report saying only 37% of born-ins remain JW's, making them the highest turnover religion out there? hmmmm - more selective quoting....

So I'm gonna print out some background to those points and have it waiting by the door.

Once we have talked around those 3 points I'm gonna ask them a bit more about what makes their religion different.

Happy days - they might even offer me a study.....

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

Hmmmmm, Jehovah's going to be doing his darnedest to keep them away from our door and Satan will be doing his best to get them to come back - wonder who'll win?

Occam's Razor says that time and unforseen occurrence will keep them away.....

You should have given them a time and date....

• beksbks
    beksbks

Some Apostates have all the fun!

• verystupid77
    verystupid77

3 - Page 30 - Watching The World - the infamous Pew Forum survey about 44% of adults having changed religious viewpoint. What about same report saying only 37% of born-ins remain JW's, making them the highest turnover religion out there? hmmmm - more selective quoting....

I just have to add when this study came out eveyone in my hall was jumping for joy over it. So I went home and read it on the internet well no one mentiond the turnover rate????? So the next time anyone mentioned the study to me I made sure to tell them about the trun over rate. Soon no one mentioned it to me anymore. Wonder why????

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

Dubs will just say that Satan is targeting the JWs more than any other religion out there because they are the chosen ones , oh that and the fact that their standards are so incredibly high that people just can't keep them and leave....

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I recently used that Pew Forum survey as an academic reference in my recent essay, entitled, "Children of Jehovah's Witnesses Should Not Be Granted Autonomy in Medical Decisions".

Given the fact that 63 percent of them will not remain Jehovah's Witnesses as adults, how can they be mature enough to refuse life saving medical treatments such as blood transfusions?

BTW, I got an A+ on my essay. My instructor's only criticism was that it was too easy, like shooting fish in a barrel, since JW's are the lunatic fringe. I said, "Hey that's my entire family you are calling a 'fringe'."

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I recently used that Pew Forum survey as an academic reference in my recent essay, entitled, "Children of Jehovah's Witnesses Should Not Be Granted Autonomy in Medical Decisions".

I would so love to read your essay. Do you think you might post it one day?

• parakeet
    parakeet

"I am a Return Visit."

And that's all you are to them. Just more hours to add to their fs reports. Those hours are what will keep them alive through Armageddon, don'tcha know. Ole Jehovah's up there nagging his office assistant to keep him up to date regarding those dub stats so he won't make any mistakes when he starts frying people by the billion. Gotta have enough hours and book sales. Will you survive? The dubs don't give a flying leap about that.

• besty
    besty
    Will you survive? The dubs don't give a flying leap about that

bit harsh I think - there is a large percentage of dubs that are sincere - just misguided - be careful of fallacy of generalization :-)

• hotspur
    hotspur
    "Everything about planet Earth indicates that it was made to support life. Is this situation just an incredible fluke, or does it reflect purposeful design?"

Let me see..... Everything?........ Earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis, hurricanes, tornados, meteorites, hailstorms, lightning, flora and fauna ...... , snakes, spiders, berries, fish, frogs ...... some of which have a decided deleterious effect upon the human body!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit