COMMENTS YOU WILL NOT HEAR AT THE WT STUDY: Help Them Return Without Delay!

by Mary 52 Replies latest watchtower bible

• flipper
    flipper

MARY- Excellent job on the summary ! Two thumbs up ! I'll tell you what - I bet many of us will get calls from witness relatives we haven't heard from in years after this one ! Hell - I might even hear from my 2 daughters 22 and 20 pioneers ! Joy of joy. Oh well- I'll just be authentic and naturally kind to them and put my Steve Hassan personality on ! Help them think in reality - land.

I really liked the point you made in the end how some of us - I would advance the thought " most " of us who experienced DFing at one time ( I was DFed 4 years ) - felt like we were never REALLY accepted back once reinstated because the elders promote the idea you have to " prove " you are back in time by meetings, service, blah, blah . So it was really like everybody kept a 10 foot stick in front of them poking it at you constantly saying, " Not too close, keep your distance ! " Like you had some kind of damned disease or something. Really sick. Good summary ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• 1914BS
    1914BS

The WTS always character assasinate the inactive ones by saying that they must have sinned (e.g. oral etc)

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

Great job Mary, entertaining, shame it's just so tragic.

• snowbird
    snowbird

There's another thing I'd like to mention.

They always go on and on about how those associated with WT learned the truth in the first place.

The answer they want to hear is, "From the FDS, of course."

Well, from where did the FDS learn the truth?

I can't wait until they come a-callin'!

Have I got an earful for them!

Sylvia

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And they are going to tell me that I can only be miserable if I am outside the witlesses? I was even more miserable as a witless, because I had the added pressure of having those damn boasting sessions every week, plus field circus on a regular basis. That ate up too much of my time, creating situations where there really were no nice blocks of free time in my life that were not usurped by the religion.

As if I am ever going to be happy again if I rejoin? Hardly. They can talk about the "good times" that have forever gone. I have had more than enough situations where the second time around was totally lacking any of the joy of the first time through in something, that I will never trust them on that count again. Tell me about the thrill of the first Grand Boasting Session I ever attended, and I will rant about the disappointments and stagnation the next 10 gave me. Tell me that field circus was once exciting, and I will tell them that after about 6 months, it became stagnant and out of date.

The truth is, most of the "joy" was about learning that the Catholic church (which I had been raised in) was wrong, when I instinctively rejected that church as too mysticism-ridden when I was little. However, I now know that the witlesses are almost identical in structure and in so many ways; it's just that the teachings are slightly different and more strictly enforced. As it stands, I will never have any joy in a religion that professes Original Sin, and then has the same God that created that problem create the "solution" that is going to allow Him to usurp more value from me.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Thank you Mary! I had the dubious "pleasure" of helping hubby study this week, so I went the extra step and recorded my own comments. You cut to the heart of the matter better and faster than I did. You are so right that the so-called helps by the society are no help at all. I also like how you show that the society places itself on the throne of Christ, without any permission at all. They assume they have all power and authority over people's lives. Anyways, here's my own comments to add to your thread. Long live free speech.

Help them Return Without Delay! Study Article for January 12-18 2009 - Janet's Response

Often with a Watchtower article, it's all about what is not said. What did the society leave out in the story, and why did they do that? In the ommissions you find the mack-truck sized holes in the Watchtower teachings. Since I have the pleasure of "studying" the article this week, I thought I'd bring you along with me.

Para 1. "What did Peter say whan many disciples abandoned Jesus?"

What is not said is why those disciples walked away. Jesus had made a shocking statement for to these orthodox Jews. He had told them that they must eat his flesh and drink his blood if they are to inherit the Kingdom of heaven. Blood, as a symbol of life, is sacred to a Jew. It would go against all his sensibilities to partake of blood. It comes to me, also, that such a thought would be anathema to the modern JW. Interestingly also, is that the great majority of JW's today never symbolically partake of Jesus' flesh and blood even today. They pass it on to the very few that the society has deemed fit for heaven. So I ask you, would the JW's today be of the remnant following Jesus, or part of the great crowd of disciples who left?

Para 2. "What should be kept in mind regarding confidential or judicial matters?"

What is not said is that the bible pattern is to deal with offences in the open, not in private. Also, we are to take our brother together to the elders - not fink about him behind his back. Finally, any church discipline is to be done in the open in front of the whole congregation. Is this how the Watchtower society manages offences in the body? (Matthew 5:21-24) (Matthew 18:15-17)

JESUS INSTRUCTS, DON'T LET OFFENCES FESTER

Note that he tells the offended party to go directly to the source and work it out.

(Matthew 5:21-24)

The pattern is as follows.

1. Go directly to your brother to work it out.

2. If that doesn't work, talk about it with some witnesses present.

3. If that doesn't work, bring it before the congregation.

(Matthew 18:15-17)

Where in these two examples are the elders as intermediaries? Closed door meetings? Private reproof? It is clear that disputes are to be handled in public, so that no-one can question the wisdom of the decision.

Para 3 How did the man with 100 sheep react when a lost one is found?

What the society leaves out is the terrible punishment for someone who is not completely approved. No-one talks to him. He is not invited to social events. Is there a single solitary example of where Jesus shunned a sinner until they were restored?

Para 4 (Preaching to a lost one, encouraging them to the meetings)

The early church did much more than preach to the weak and encourage them to meetings. There was practical love and care, community, and sharing. (Acts 2:46, 47). I say preaching in the absence of practical acts of kindness is discordant and unlovely, like a clanging cymbal. (1 Corinthians 13:3-5). If our child asks for some bread, a fish, or an egg, do we give him a scorpion instead? (Luke 11:11-13) Likewise, don't rain stinging judgement on the hurting. Give them what they ask for. Sometimes all it requires is the human touch such as a warmth in the eye, a sincere embrace, and asking after their day. Is this how a JW typically responds to the "spirituallly weak" and the disfellowshipped?

Paragraph 5, 6

Note that the elder is reserved for contact with the inactive. And again, the so-called "encouragement" is reserved for preaching.

Paragraph 7

What verses were left out?

Luk 21:32-36 (RV) Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all things be accomplished. Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away. But take heed to yourselves, lest haply your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that day come on you suddenly as a snare: for so shall it come upon all them that dwell on the face of all the earth. But watch ye at every season, making supplication, that ye may prevail to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

Which portions of this scripture does the society diminish or ignore, and why?

Paragraph 8, 9 Were they Stumbled?

Again, the "encouragement" is reserved for the elder. Regular congregation members might be "contaminated". Is such an approach biblical towards our brothers? Here, the elder suggests that the offended person bury their feelings and let go of the offence. Is this the bible pattern for resolving disputes? I suggest that the society will continue to bleed members if it continues to hide it's problems or pretend they don't exist. People require justice and they need a chance to air their concerns. Here are several early church examples.

GREEK WIDOWS

I think the first big dispute came over the treatment of widows. (Acts 6). Did the widows keep silent and "wait on Jehovah"? No! Here's the pattern of dispute resolution I see here:

1. Widows complain.

2. The twelve called everyone together and suggested that someone be assigned to take care of it.

3. The multitude agreed, and the problem was resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

Fairly open and democratic, wouldn't you say? The widows were not obliged to wait until Jehovah noticed their plight.

SAUL and the DISCIPLES

The disciples weren't sure how to take the dramatic conversion of Saul. (Acts 9).

Did Barnabas keep silent in the face of the apostle's skepticism, in order to keep the unity? Did he "wait on Jehovah" for them to see the light? No!

Barnabas brought Paul before the apostles and described to them all that he had seen Paul do, and how he had put his life in danger for the gospel. The apostles then accepted Paul.

Barnabas spoke up for an honorable man.

PAUL EXHORTS THE CORINTHIANS

He goes on a delightful rant to the Corinthian church to work out minor disputes amongst themselves (1 Corinthians 6).

SUMMARY

Now remember, this is the early church, where the Holy Spirit was in daily evidence, and they worked togehter "with one accord" (Acts 2:46). The Christians would never be in as much unity as those early days. Nevertheless, they had disputes. They aired their concerns, and they found their way.

From these examples, the bible pattern is pretty clear. Air your feelings. Don't bury it, don't hide it, and don't pretend it's not a problem. Get it out in the open, and deal with it.

Paragraphs 10, 11 Was it a Problem with a Teaching?

There's acres of ignored scriptures here. Is not also a Christian required to be a Berean and search things out for himself? (Acts 17:11). The tenuous hold on "The Faithful and Discreet Slave (FDS)" holds no water. That scripture (Matthew 24:45) was an exhortation for all Christians to put others first. Slaves don't lead; they serve. Of course, for a born and bred JW, the FDS scripture is a huge trigger. Obey the society because they are the only way. That is what they have been taught. And finally, the suggestion that there isn't "another place where there is rich spiritual food" is a crock. I think the society throws this in here to keep the few deceived that they do have from finding out.

Paragraphs 12, 13 Was Improper Conduct Involved?

Again, the elders are reserved the responsibility to "encourage". Using Leviticus to "encourage"? Shame! Where is the new testament of grace, instituted by Christ himself?

Paragraph 14 (The prodigal son) "he should 'come home' without delay."

How about a little more emphasis on "When he is still far off, his father sees him, runs and falls upon his son's neck, tenterly kisses him, and is filled with joy." Remember also that the father immediately arranged a large feast, killing the fatted calf. A returning sinner is a time for embracing, rejoicing, food, and laughter. Is this how a returning member is treated by the society?

Paragraph 16-18 (A lapsed member (25 years) returns)

The society would only wish that the "faders" are all like this man, who never spent time examining their reasons for living. Anyone who drifts out without seriously examining themselves will always be vulnerable to return. Not so for many who leave the society. They know why they left and they cannot be tempted back with a kind word.

Paragraph 19-20 How can you encourage inactive ones to return...?

Is it true that the Watchtower society's demands are light? Is it a minor matter to be pulled back to twice-weekly meetings and endless field service?

Paragraph 21-22

Is it true that a returning Witness will be welcomed back with joy? For how long? Will it involve maybe a single embrace by an old friend, and then the cold shoulder again outside of the congregation meetings?

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Great review!

Money and Numbers.

Get the x's = increase numbers and $.

I looked up disingenuous and insincere in the dictionary, there was a pic of a jay duhbeya.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Thanks Mary

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

Marry,

You outdid yourself again. Thanks for the coverage of yet another, rich, spiritual “meal!” (Gag me!)

• penny2
    penny2
    Having the love and support from friends and family who are still JWs, hinges on how loyal you are to the religion---not to God or Jesus. This is where the emotional turmoil comes into play and it's how they keep the rank and file under constant control: If you want our love, you have to work for it.

Thanks Mary for your review. Particularly the above comment - very helpful to me.

penny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit