Are you left handed?

by JimmyPage 49 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

It looks like my child is going to be. What kind of challenges did you experience? How do I teach guitar to my young disciple?

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Yeah... I am left-handed... and so is my daughter. My recommendation is to not try to change them to be 'righties'.

It is a bit more difficult to learn some things... like tying shoe laces... my parents couldn't understand why I was so thick at getting it right. Well... DUH!! They were showing me backwards!

As for teaching someone - I would suggest that you think of it as one 'looking in the mirror' - which makes things appear in reverse.

(I've never been able to figure out guitars... they always seem to be backwards.)

Good Luck - and us lefties tend to be a bit more creative than some.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Farkel
    Farkel

:What kind of challenges did you experience? How do I teach guitar to my young disciple?

Your child may be left-handed, but that isn't a handicap! What difference does it make if your child strums with his/her left hand or right hand? Isn't that like worrying that a left handed person will need a special piano to learn to play?

Thing to shop for to help your left-handed disciple:

Left handed pencils and erasers.

Left handed glasses, mugs, plates and silverware.

Left handed towels.

Left handed bicycles, pants, shirts and shoes.

Left handed books.

The hardest part about being left handed is that one is only able to choose a left handed mate. Due to certain physical differences, it is impossible for a left handed and right handed person to mate and reproduce.

I'm left handed (sorta) and I play the piano. Since most of the difficult passages are written for the right hand on piano, my right hand has developed a lot more functionality than most lefties have due to many years of practice on the piano.

I write left-handed and throw balls left-handed. I bat right handed and kick balls with my right foot. I can eat with either hand. My right arm is stronger than my left arm. I use scissors with my right hand. Not truly ambidextrous, and not truly a classic lefty. I think the proper scientific word for people like me is "freak."

The hardest part about being left handed for me was and is when I write. When I use a pencil or a pen with wet ink, I smear the words because my palm drags behind my writing. That's why you see many left-handed people who write with their palms and elbows pointed up. But I don't write that way.

Also, I had a miserable time with spiral binders in school. I never could get to the left edge of the paper, because my palm was in the way.

I pick boogers with my right hand.

Farkel

• free2think
    free2think

Im left-handed, and this is the first time i've heard about there being challenges to being a leftie.

I was always told that left-handed people are more artistic and more likely to be geniuses.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Ambies are really witches. They can cast spells, and stuff like that.

S

• watson
    watson

I have heard that lefties tend to be communists and have difficulty with foreplay.

• blondie
    blondie

Society in general is more accepting and has products to accommodate lefties.

I am ambidextrous.

• free2think
    free2think
    I have heard that lefties tend to be communists and have difficulty with foreplay.

Now that is just an outright lie!!!

• watson
    watson
    Now that is just an outright lie!!!

Whew! I'm glad. Maybe it was self abuse that was a problem. Oh well, always learning new things here. Thanks to all.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I'll tell you one thing that I've really noticed and I'm serious about it. When I'm in class for long periods of time 7-8 hours or more and they have the chairs with the build in desk the desk is always on the right side. So I have no way to rest my arm and write I have to twist in the chair and by the end of the day the pain is excruciating. I've seen exactly TWO left handed desk in my school and both were broken...

Other than that? Really no problems!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit