I figured out what's been digging up my back yard!

by Elsewhere 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

It’s an opossum!

I just now stepped outside to get something and there it was!

I checked Wikipedia and found out they were introduced into this area during the Great Depression to serve as a source of food.

Hmmmm... sounds like the Country Boy in me is about to come out.

I might have to make me some Possum Stew!

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Just be careful... I've come up toe-to-toe with one of them there critters... and they ain't friendly. They have sharp teeth, too.

Your best bet is to try to discourage it from making your home - its' home.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Gregor
    Gregor

The economy being what it is I applaud you for exploring new food sources. How will you bag one?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Your best bet is to try to discourage it from making your home - its' home.

As in Possum Stew?

A rat trap should do the trick.

I have to admit... I'm inclined to leave it be. I much prefer killing animals by proxy, i.e., the super market meat department.

• Gregor
    Gregor

A rat trap will make them suffer. This is better--

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

How about a good-old-fashion Dead Drop trap?

I'm sure I've got something large and heavy around here somewhere.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Watch it Elswhere, them things got human heads... I seen 'em. Creepy. W.Once

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Par boil it before ya cook it Else... they are greasy. But they go good with collards and make good potlicker.

In all seriousness be careful...Jim is right... they got an awesome set of choppers.

Back in the day, if a possum fell in an open well they would board the hole up... ruin the water for years.

Hill

• restrangled
    restrangled

Elsewhere.....I have had many opossums in my yard at night and they get huge. They are the ground level cleaner uppers. They eat anything that is rotting or available, fresh fruit, pet food, dead animals etc., I have never known them to dig up the yard.

They are bold, have no fear of humans and will never hurt you. They do not carry rabies as thier blood runs too cold to carry the disease. They usually have a pretty short life as are taken out by large dogs or hit by cars. They are one of the two Marsupials in the United States and carry their young on their back if they get that far.

If you can stand the looks of them, they wind up kind of cute with a beautiful fur coat. and about 20 pounds.

I use to feed one in my back yard. She would wait for the Racoon to finish first and waddle in. Eventually one of my dogs couldn't stand it any more and found its hiding place in my back yard. He promptly shook her to death when he found her, living in a wood pile under a tarp.

r.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Possum is good eats.

In my high tech way, I've sneaked up on them before. They will play dead and then all you have to do is hit them over the head with a shovel.

No worries. But yes, boil them first so they're not so greasy.

StAnn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit