DOES RAYMOND FRANZ 'CRISIS' BOOK TELL THE TRUTH?

by whereami 35 Replies latest jw friends

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Every word he says sounds very credible to me. As a member of the rank and file I saw the results of things and he was able to explain how certain things happened. It was like finally understanding the science of something you already know to be true. I am eternally grateful to him.

• Ultimate Reality
    Ultimate Reality

Having been raised "in the truth" I can say that Ray's book is far more honest (with sources cited) than Watchtower literature. Furthermore, I was aware of many situations that Ray's book made more clear. Reading what was happening on the other side made the confusion behind certain doctrines (such as alternative military service, and various flip-flops) show that foolish human reasoning (not God's spirit) was directing the Governing Body.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree
    Having been raised "in the truth" I can say that Ray's book is far more honest (with sources cited) than Watchtower literature. Furthermore, I was aware of many situations that Ray's book made more clear.

Same sentiments here. His documentation is iron clad. Further growing up as a JW in NYC I know some of the people he discusses. He has his ducks in a row for sure.

Isaac

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    I found Rays book as convincing as the truth.

I know what you mean! It makes me wonder if I should get back to the meetings actually.

• ninja
    ninja

piss off slimbo mate...even if every word in the book was a lie.....our own experience tells us what's right and wrong......even if I hadn't read the book i would be out of there....even if I read NO books.....i would be offski.....the books just hastened the process

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Gee thanks ninja.

I am just saying it is confusing that's all. I don't think Franz lied about anything. It is possible to read his books and disgree with his conclusion though.

Personally I liked it better believing in the Witnesses.

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

That was a little harsh Ninja.

I thought his books were important to read, but I DID get the feeling he down played his role in some of the events. Always portraying himself on the side of reasonable and liberal, not a hardline. Whether it's fully true or not I don't know, but that was my take.

His book In Search of Christian Freedom was the most important thing he wrote and had a much more profound affect on me than CoC.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Ninja you are the one who believes conspiracy stories.

What the Witnesses believe makes more sense than that crap.

It is true what they say - when a person leaves the truth they don't go on to believe in nothing, they tend to believe in anything. That includes weird 9/11 nonsense.

It is disconcerting to think how I believed what the Witnesses teach was true and then later how I believed Ray Fanz's take on things instead. It makes you stand back and wonder what is true.

I wonder if we would all be better off back at the meetings.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

As witness, I found it really hard to convince most other JWs that there are always two sides to every argument. Elders in particularly have been conditioned to find this hard to understand.

I am sure Freddie Franz and the other GB members would tell a different story to Ray. What we, as reasonable people, have to do is to be able to, in an unbiased manner, is listen to both sides and draw our own conclusions.

I think we all know the Society's stand on Malawi, the 1914 generation, etc, etc. Then, we have read Ray Franz's side. We then draw our own conclusions.

The trouble with Society is that they refuse to defend or reason on their position on serious doctrinal matters and hide behind branding all questioning voices as apostate.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

maybe we should thank this "discreditor" as he seems to be inadvertently, giving Ray's book renewed publicity and thus bringing out the truth about the truth. More people will read Ray's book and go andto Ray.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit