DOES RAYMOND FRANZ 'CRISIS' BOOK TELL THE TRUTH?

by whereami 35 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I have nothing but honor and total respect for you good buddy Ray ....

"Forever in your debt"

Caliber

I agree. Aren't all of his in his debt?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

To me Ray Franz seems like a genuinely good person and I don't believe he lied in his book. I don't see why he would need to.

However you have to admit it is neverthless interesting to contemplate that the same man who wrote the two most devastating critiques of the Watchtower Society is the same man who wrote the section of the Aid book defending the WT chronology for example, as well as many articles in the WT besides.

That is not to negate all the good he has done by exposing the organization since he left.

But I think it is an interesting counterfactual to consider what might have happened if the organization had been more amenable to some of the changes Franz was suggesting in the 1970s and he had not been hounded out. It seems entirely possible he could still be on the governing body defending them in the literaure today.

Then again anything is possible for the future I suppose, whereas there is only one past, and that is the past we come to grips with, not what might have been.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I haven't read all of ISOCF, but the excerpts I have read suggest that Ray Franz redeemed himself.

Anything else is between him and his Maker.

Sylvia

• wobble
    wobble

The apologist who attacks Ray has been discredited on other threads,but at the risk of repeating,why wait till now to bring up any objection to C.O.C? (The objection is minor anyway)

If you HAD found one factual error,which our apologist ( I think he IS a Witless by the way despite his protestations)might label a lie,so what? Ray is imperfect.,he says so.

If you can then cast doubt on the rest of what he says where does that leave the WTBS? we can show where they have lied time and time again!!!!

Thank you Ray Franz,I trust and respect what you have written,and may I say written elegantly. I thank you because you are helping me on my journey to Christian freedom, may the Lord Jesus bless you.

And may many more be free to choose by reading your words.

Love,peace and wellbeing,

Wobble

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yes, it is. If anything, he pulled his punches on many issues in his attempt to present a fair, unbiased and factual picture and attempting to keep out his personal sentiments. But, that's ok, because for a jw or a questioning jw, that method works very well.

S

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

One thing I did find interesting in Ray's books was lack of any mention about whether his wife supported him in leaving the Witnesses, or what her feelings were at all about the situation for that matter. Did no one else think that was a rather large omission in the narrative? I mean there is no reason why he needed to include it I suppose. I just thought it was a bit odd that he documented her feelings and reactions to their foreign missionary assignments for example, but not how she felt about leaving the organization they both at one time felt was God's channel. It must have been a terrible strain for her and I really wonder what her take on it all was.

On the scant evidence from the books, and not having met her personally I can only guess, but I get the impression she might have initially been a bit more reluctant than he was to leave. Although that is no doubt ancient history by now and I am sure she long ago resigned herself to the situation and was convinced they were right to leave.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit