I confess - I LIKE fruitcake

by Nathan Natas 38 Replies latest jw friends

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Fruitcake... we used to buy some from our bank...Claxons, Claxtons? About 2 inches square.... came out of Georgia if I could remember...been years since I've seen any.

Good stuff. I think a lot of people buy into some "fad" of not likeing fruitcake.

Hill

• rebel8
    rebel8

Homerovah and oompa: Recipies, please and thank you!

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

It depends, some is good and some aren't. Some of it tastes like moldy jello.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

"I think a lot of people buy into some "fad" of not likeing fruitcake." Not me. I was given a piece when I was a kid. I took one bite and immediately puked all over the plate.

• rebel8
    rebel8

FF: I can always count on you to crack me up!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

"FF: I can always count on you to crack me up!" I wish my parents had that attitude. We were visiting some of their friends, and they were so embarrassed by me.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I hate fruit cake!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I have been conducting a taste test to find a fruitcake that I can place my imprimatur on.

What I've concluded is that the offensive ingredient found in many fruitcakes is the candied citrus rind. Nobody eats orange peels, but sometime back in days of yore when there was no other fruit to be had, someone thought, "...let them fill their bellies with orange rind!"

Here's an EXCELLENT fruitcake that contains no citrus rind and tastes like one of the fruitiest blueberry muffins you have ever ingested. It is so good that one unenthusiastic fruitcake eater and one anti-fruitcake activist both called it "Really Good!"

see http://www.whowomen.com/

They've got more than just good fruitcake going for them: they are absolutely superluminal in their shipping speed, AND they are a charitable organization, not simply a commercial bakery (not that there's anything wrong with that). The group - Women Helping Other Women - provides training and employment for abused and disabled women in North Carolina. They make an excellent product, and they get it to you fast. The are also a 501(c)3 charitable organization. Try one of their cakes and then decide who you want to send additional gift cakes to. I'm in the book.

The testing continues...

Ohio Cowboy is right on!!!

I've been hooked on Collin St. Bakery fruitcakes for over a decade now. I buy them as gifts as well as for myself and they are always well-received. They are indeed a bit pricy but well worth it. They use high quality ingredients that aren't cheap, but that's what makes them so damn good!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit