Doctrinal ramifications of large increase in 2008 memorial partakers?

by yadda yadda 2 80 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

So now they have to say that "this generation will by no means pass away" refers to those 9000+ of the remnant and when THEY pass away? Well by golly...it sure looks like the end isnt coming ANY time soon since that number keeps going UP UP UP!!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I keep saying it on this board - I am totally convinced that more major changes are on the way. Things can not continue the way they are/have been

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

I agree with the poster named "logic." The average Witness doesnt understand and really doesnt care what the teachings are. A few months ago, I was talking about the generation change with someone in my family. She started to talk about how the anointed will be with us through Armageddon, and she said that shows how much Jehovah cares for us, she said that is so, so wonderful, and she started to cry.

So many Witnesses believe whatever the GB says, it doesnt matter if it doesnt make sense.

BF

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I too would agree that logic and common sense play very little part in the decision making process for the average JW. I can use the example of my own brother...a former elder (and P.O.) who was DF'ed for a relatively innocuous offense, despite bringing his "offense" to the BOE and expressing complete remorse and repentance. Why was he DF'ed?...because as an elder he knew better and would be judged by a higher standard. The entire time he was DF'ed (about 9 months), he parroted the same old tired line of "where else would we go?" when I asked him about the fairness or logic behind Df'ing him. He and I had conversations about the numerous inconsistencies in the WTS's policies and teachings, and every time it got interesting he would "shut down" and say it is the Truth and we need to wait on Jah for clarification. It was incredibly frustrating to hear this educated and intelligent man spew such nonsense! I am sure he is afraid of disrupting the relationship with his staunch JW wife and kids, so I can understand his reticence...but not his blindness. I apologize for the roundabout way of getting to my point, but if an above-average, intelligent and financially successful man can follow so sheepishly arbitrary rules from a publishing company, how more so would the "average" JW just take this change in stride? Until the scales fall from the eyes of the believers, the WTS will be able to "sell" changes with little or no effort. My guess is that a majority of the people on this board have had a similar experience with a family member or friend.

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C

This is hilarious. I don't even care to attempt to figure this out. I am just enjoying the good laugh that I'm getting from this. Here is something to consider however. Can you imagine what will happen to this annointed figure when China opens up? Not only with the Witnesses that can freely report, but with all of the new ones coming in?

This number of annointed figure is going to become irrelevant after a while. It will continue to yo-yo up and down like the Dow Jones Industrial Average. Why bother printing it?

• unbaptized
    unbaptized

Actually doesn't the scriptures say that many are invited but only few are chosen? If so it does not matter who receives the invitation only that the host would have to make a decision when the time comes. The door is open but who really has received the invitation? Some say it's a feeling while others say it is more than a feeling.

I say let us not judge and let Jehovah judge who is and who is not.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Oh I totally agree that Jehovah should be the judge. Pity the WTS doesn't believe that

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I don't think the growth in partakers will make too much difference to most JW's or require a change in the doctrine. For any thinking JW the literalness of the number 144,000 is already untenable. There was likely over 144,000 Christians by the end of the first century. Even the most conservative estimates put the number at 50,000 in the first century and 50,000 JW's in the early 1900's. leaving only 40,000 "true Christians" in the 2000 years in between.

The number would have to raise by 10,000's before it becomes a real issue to a JW who believes because they want to believe.

• Mary
    Mary

German XJW said: The Watchtower of Feb 15th, 2009 clearly states on p. 28 that the number of annointed has been decreasing over the years...

Yep....here's the scan. The whole study article is giving glowing praises to the "Slave Class" but at the bottom on paragraph 14 it talks about the 'decrease':

Feb2009WTpg280001.jpg picture by sam3217

Feb2009WTpg280002.jpg picture by sam3217

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Unfortunately, I agree with JW Facts...nothing will change while the average JW can continue to rationalize or ignore the numbers It would have to be a significant change in partakers before it would even raise an eyebrow. I would be willing to bet that the increase in partakers will not even be noticed by the vast majority of JW's. It is better to ignore than question...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit