did ya miss it..UAW nixes bailout plan...

by hillbilly 71 Replies latest jw friends

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    Yep, turn America into a third world nation. Go back to Ye Olde England. The rich get richer and the poor work til they drop.

That seems to be the American mindset doesn't it? What the hell is wrong with people? Let's get this right - let 3 million people lose their jobs, go on unemployment in the middle of a major recession, then end up most likely on welfare and government healthcare. There aren't 3 million jobs sitting out there in addition to the 2 million lost this year, and the 200,000 they just announced today for December. Don't forget to add in the 40 million on food stamps already. So - let the companies go bankrupt and let all those retirees lose their health care as well - but don't bitch when your taxes go up to cover it and you whine about what a loser all those folks are.

So - everybody is okay with union busting and eliminating all those jobs for a loan...but I've been watching the committee hearings and I've yet to see one of the jerks involved in the real bail out like AIG, come crawling into the meeting to tell everyone all management is going to reduce their wages to a hundred thousand a year, give up pensions and stocks and hand back their health care costs. I haven't heard them let us know how many jets they sold out of the fleet but I have heard of the last bash they had....apparently it was top of the line.

It's so amazing in watching the news tonight, a major investor stole 50 billion from his clients and the people around him are still saying he's a nice guy, a good fellow and he'll be okay, he'll get through this unfortunate event.

So - let's get this straight - the guy who swindled 50 billion from his clients is a good guy and is out on 10 million bail - but the UAW worker is a greedy scum sucking bug because he makes an honest living earning 26.95 an hour and hopes for his health care.

I give up....

sammieswife.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Sammie, have you seen the list of companies that are going out of business but waiting until after the Christmas shopping season? It's horrific. Companies like Circuit City, Mervyn's, KB toys, Boscove's, Linen's N Thing's, etc etc. The list grows every day. Don't people get it? It's those guys making 26 bucks an hour, that are able to keep these companies going. The more of us that end up working for minimum wage, the less expendable income we have. The other huuuuuuuuuuge problem we have, is the cost of health care. Who can afford it all???

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

beks- I know you have read my other post re labor issues. It's all about value added... and the UAW needs to start thinking that way. They have been resistant to self directed work teams, improved tech in the plants, accepting transfers to other facilities.. and a lot of other stiff necked policies that are rooted to manual methods back to the 20's.

I am all for making $20+ bucks an hour to put a car together... wage costs are the least problem in this situation and not the problem. SOME of the jobs in a plant have that value... others dont. A robotics tech who paid for his college is worth more than a person who screws a part on etc etc etc. $27 bucks an hour to drive a fork lift? How does that compare to a BA holder working 60 hours a week to run the local Denny's for $60 k a year?

I know I really have no sympathy for that fork lift driver who bitches about how bad he has it ... while I climb a pole in his back yard...inches from death... in a blizzard... at night... for $30, and I love my job.

The UAW biggest flaw is that they try to justify wages, conditions and benifits across the board that are way out of wack for a high number of the skill sets in the plants they represent.

Big 3 never reserved cash for legacy costs either... when they were making money they never put any of the profits back to pay for future retirement costs. Sorry but 100% full insurance for life for you and the spouse is EXPENSIVE. I wish I could get that too..most of us cant or dont

UAW press spin always reduces these issues to wages... the rules they need to change are some of the old ideas that were a good idea when the work took a LOT of bodies.

Being a union guy I understand this one thing... my wage is earned for what I can do...what my skills are worth. As long as complicated buildings and equipment machines with a profit margin are built I have a place to earn my money... if that work dries up and all I can find is house wiring (low margin work) I just cant work fast or hard enough to justify my wage... that work is only worth $10 or $15 bucks an hour...

Wal mart pays $8 because the worker only provides his time... sorry jobs like that are just "work"... show up and work..no skills required or learned. That value added thing working the pay scale ....

Hill

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Retiree Pensions

Hundreds of thousands of auto retirees who depend on the companies for pensions and health insurance would also be affected. Bankruptcy could throw them into federal government programs -- including the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation and Medicare -- just when rescue packages and government market actions are ballooning the federal budget.

The effect would be multiplied by an estimated decline in tax revenue for federal, state and local governments of $108.1 billion over three years if the U.S. automakers’ operations were cut by 50 percent, the Center for Automotive Research says.

A collapse would quickly spread to financial markets, said Eric Selle, an automotive-credit analyst at JPMorgan Chase & Co. in a research report last month. GM, Ford, Chrysler and their credit operations comprise 10 percent of the high-yield bond market, he said, and any failure would have major implications for credit-default swaps, asset-backed securities and commercial paper. It would be “the credit crisis, part II,” he said.

Federal Reserve Chairman Ben S. Bernanke signaled less concern about the potential impact for the bond market in a Dec. 5 letter to Senate Banking Committee Chairman Christopher Dodd.

Why is it that the American people feel they should have to reduce their standard of living in order to compete? Why shouldn't their government applaud a decent standard of living - one that can't be had at Walmart for $8 an hour but instead, push those countries or businessess to raise their wage levels? What in effect you are being fed is a load of crap - and a life of servitude. The government is too lazy, inept and corrupt to impose import tarrifs or export equality and instead, tell the people, the guys and gals working with their sweat, that they should be thankful earning less and they should be happy to just to survive.

Let's have every person in government held up as an example. Let's take away their health care benefits that we, the taxpayer pay for. That's a start to saving costs. Then lets tell them all that a cap is being put on all government wages, starting at the top - say on par with the union wage cut of 40% that the senator was demanding from the auto workers...and then tell every single clerk below that they won't make more than $14 bucks an hour.

The idea that a whole country takes one business, dumps it in the trash and buries it in the muck and then sits back and applauds their government representative who did this as a hero, is well beyond me.

Keep people earning the bare minimum and they spend all they earn in order to live. Give them a little credit and make them think they have more money to spend - which is what they have already tried. Now we have a mess. Do the management of these companies deserve to have to show their plans and goals? Of course. But before I throw millions of people on the scrap heap, including retirees who worked for those benefits for 30 years, I'd be first demanding the same from all the people I just handed over 300 billion to with no questions asked. sammieswife.

• beksbks
    beksbks

See Hill, this is where they have screwed over your thinking. Why should Wal-Mart make record profits and the guy who only "puts in his time" make a below living wage? That's the damn problem in this country, everyone should be making a living wage, for whatever job they do. What you guys fail to think about (it seems) is that when everyone is making that living wage, we all do better. Because those folks spend more. As I've asked before, how many bars of soap, pairs of jeans, carpet cleanings, computers, lattes, can the upper 5 percent actually buy?? It's the rest of us that keep this economy running, and it's us who needs to make that living wage. Not just for our own good, but that of the country, and the bloody top 5 percent. We've got all upside damn down.

• beksbks
    beksbks

And since when is 26 bucks an hour so darn much? Ohh yea, add health, pension etc. and some may reach that 70.00 mark that's thrown around, but that's actually not that damn much unless you are comparing it to the guys on the bottom. Do we really want to strive for that???

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Something else that is overlooked as well -

How much do you think that Honda, Nissan, BMW and Toyota plant donated to Americans after 911? Zip.

GM, Ford and Chrysler, Volkswagon and Harley Davidson all donated millions of dollars, cars, vans, SUV's, physical space and charitable funds to Americans after it happened.

As for that 70 bucks and hour...I finally heard a small voice of truth come out in the news today - the breakdown arrived but anybody set out to ignore it, will have. That 70 bucks aren't wages the worker is making..the average worker, long time worker, is making about $27.and thats in line with the other manufacturers. The guys starting out now are only making about $15.00 an hour. The rest of that money is the obligation that they owe to retirees for pension and health care, and the worker health care benefits as well. They add it all up and then divide it to tell you that the average worker is making 70 bucks when they aren't - they don't even have the same plans today as then.

In reality, maybe the whole financial sector should have crashed and everything else with it. At least in that respect, then everybody would have started out at the bottom and been forced to work at it together. This way, it's pitting people against one another and creating more class war and frustration. sammieswife.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly
    See Hill, this is where they have screwed over your thinking. Why should Wal-Mart make record profits and the guy who only "puts in his time" make a below living wage? That's the damn problem in this country, everyone should be making a living wage, for whatever job they do. What you guys fail to think about (it seems) is that when everyone is making that living wage, we all do better. Because those folks spend more. As I've asked before, how many bars of soap, pairs of jeans, carpet cleanings, computers, lattes, can the upper 5 percent actually buy?? It's the rest of us that keep this economy running, and it's us who needs to make that living wage. Not just for our own good, but that of the country, and the bloody top 5 percent. We've got all upside damn down. ~beks

Beks... the top 5% of wealth holders hire a guy to buy soap, jeans and lattes for them. Plus they hire folks to press suits, gut grass and clean pools. Most of the 5% hires executive staff to boss around the plain ole staff at the mansion. Those staffers are part of the 85% of us who still buy a lot of soap, jeans and lattes, gas, pay sales tax etc.

Your other post..$26 an hour aint crap if all the houses in your town start at $200k.Wages are just a number. How much money you keep is the real issue. Can you save or grow your money .... if you make $26 and it costs $24 to live you are not much better than you were when you made $8 and spent$7 to live.

Walmart... yep I agree the work of the devil...but the wages are what they are for what you do. Explain to me how inflating wages at Wal mart makes things better? Double the bottom skill set wages and prices just go up to match...no one gains a thing.

I say look at the past...Wal mart sucks jobs out of the country and kills small business. We did not have this problem pre WW2 and it was not so bad until things really started changing in the 70's.

Let's all make about $8 an hour.... but lets change society . Back in the day your local gas station was family owned. They could fix your car... and the grocery store on the corner sold food. The gas station guy took the risks... and he hired a couple of guys at what...$1.60 to work 40 hours a week. One of my other uncles was a meat cutter. He worked for Piggly Wiggley in Memphis a few years...saved a couple of bucks and bought a corner groceries just after WW2. He worked every day for 45 years there... and was a millionaire at the end of it all. He had a hired man named Mr.Ed who worked for him nearly 30 years. Ed owned a house, sent his kids to school and traded cars every few years .... for less than $2 bucks and hour.

My uncle was one of those guys... ran that station for nearly 45 years. His help came and went.. but a couple of guys worked for him for over 20 years each. Those 2 guys owned houses, sent kids to college, drove cars, mowed their own lawns etc. My uncle rolled profit back into the business, could borrow a bit more money and did the same... and after 20 years or so he had gathered a little wealth for the risks he took.

The doctor did a little better... he had a nicer house, but the bank would loan him a little more money because the doc needed to put his office in one of the rooms. But the doc would see you for $2 and would take credit because he knew you were good for it.

A guy could feed his family working the sales floor at Sears or Penny's... the clerk at the feed mill stayed for 30 years. The little factory used 10 folks to make a product. If you caught on with the rail road or light and gas company ...you had it made...those guys worked every day rain or shine.

There was so much money in the country and it went pocket to pocket. Places that had bigger factories formed unions to help improve working conditions like hours, safety, shifts lay-off by seniority, fair assignment of tasks and fair discharge policies. Money was always the easy part to negotiate...still is.

Even in the mill towns the local money went hand to hand.

Then we went global. Killed towns and jobs when we didnt run the efficient new highway by em. People moved to where the work is... driving up housing costs. The growing towns had to raise taxes to school water and process the sewage and trash of the new arrivals. The little factory improved so I used 5 people to do the work of ten. A nice $8000 house that took 10 carpenters and helpers to build with hammers and handsaws ended up costing $25,000 and electric tools cut the crew down to 3 men.

That was OK for a while ...the laid off builders took a job at the skil saw plant... till it moved "overseas" in the 70's

Full employment means lots of little jobs. Beks..if you traveled back to 1910, even 1949 in most little towns you would be thinking "3rd world country"... I say our "improvements" will actually make us a 3rd world country.

Hill

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Good management leads by example - so if we heard that management were going to reduce their salaries etc. I am sure the UAW would have no choice but to follow

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Good management leads by example - so if we heard that management were going to reduce their salaries etc. I am sure the UAW would have no choice but to follow

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit