did ya miss it..UAW nixes bailout plan...

by hillbilly 71 Replies latest jw friends

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

or was I dreamin it?

Heard a bit about this on NPR... seems the UAW wont play ball with the congress on this bailout plan and now the whole deal is dead in the water (again).

Is there an echo or did I mention 'entitlement" and something about a "poor excuse for a labor union" about the UAW before?

Hill

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Do we really need more cars?

And the imports are better anyway.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

seems Bush is willing to step in on behalf of the UAW in this mess.

Better or not... American car productions keeps the bull dog fed in a lot of North American homes.... EVERYbody needs to get their heads outta the sand on this one.

Hill

• StAnn
    StAnn

My dad is a GM retiree. I'm worried about his pension and health insurance. He was a skilled trade so IUE, not UAW.

It's scary but the Big Three should have seen the signs of the times and been more innovative. They've brought this on themselves through piss poor management.

StAnn

• cameo-d
    cameo-d
    They've brought this on themselves through piss poor management.

Absolutely right!

Better or not... American car productions keeps the bull dog fed in a lot of North American homes

Then those workers need to find some other line of work that is more beneficial to society.

• shamus100
    shamus100

I'm pretty far from being an expert in economics, but what goes down must come up again, am I right? People are not buying cars now - let's wait six months. Everyone's car is getting older, and hopefully the economy will turn around by then.

Have you hit the bottom in the housing market yet in the U.S.? How about other countries? We're still falling here in Canada.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

It's a sad deal all around, I think. Poor management and planning for decades have put hundreds of thousands of workers in this predicament. If they fail, there will be big repercussions throughout the nation's economy. The big problem I see is giving money to support an out of date business model. The fact is, these three manufacturers produce lower quality products than imported ones, as well as products which do not match the needs of consumers. And there is no evidence that these companies can and absolutely will change all of that with this money they would get from us.

• ferret
    ferret

I think the greed of UAW is at least 50% responsible for this mess to start with.How do they expect the big three to be competetive when each year they want more and more.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

The Big 3 would be better off filing for bankruptcy, that way they can renegotiate all contracts and start fresh.

The debate about whether or not to bail out the Big Three carmakers has been mischaracterised. It has been described as a package to help the undeserving dinosaurs of Detroit. In fact, a plan to bail out the carmakers would benefit shareholders and bondholders as much as anybody else. These are not the people that need help right now. In fact they contributed to the problem.

Financial markets are supposed to allocate capital and monitor that it is used to good effect. They are supposed to be rewarded when they do that job well, but bear the consequences when they fail. The markets failed. Wall Street’s focus on quarterly returns encouraged the short-sighted behaviour that contributed to their own demise and that of America’s manufacturing, including the automotive industry. Today, they are asking to escape accountability. We should not allow it.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/1a2e2042-c79f-11dd-b611-000077b07658,Authorised=false.html?_i_location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcms%2Fs%2F0%2F1a2e2042-c79f-11dd-b611-000077b07658.html%3Fnclick_check%3D1&_i_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fpajamasmedia.com%2Finstapundit%2F&nclick_check=1

• mtsgrad
    mtsgrad

I think it stinks to high heaven that a government sponsors a poorly run company. With the banks you can be fairly sure that the government will get its moeny back when the housing market settles. I say letting them fall will send a strong message to Americans and the world. For a few yrs the populace will suffer, but no nationality on earth would be better suited to find new industries to enter.

mtsgrad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit