Hello to all who knew me...

by Joyzabel 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

As I sit here addressing my xmas cards for this year and think of all the people who have helped me on my jouney this past 7 years and especially the past 3, I thought I would post a thread letting people who knew me know how I am and what I have been up to this past year.

It will soon be 2 years since I moved from Florida to Atlanta, GA. Even though it was going back to full time work, I love my job and am glad I have one.

If people think there is no life after being in a mind control group, I’m here to say there is and such a wonderful one. I acknowledge that my therapy has helped me to get my mind untangled from being raised in a high control group and from being married to an alcoholic. So I highly recommend to everyone who has left the WT to find a support group, especially on co-dependency to help facilitate your recovery. Of course people can get on with their lives without therapy, but it sure helped me in recovery quicker than by myself.

Dancing is a big part of my life now, my social life. I started out taking West Coast Swing lessons and progressed to all kinds of dances but I enjoy WCS the best. Not only do I dance 3-5 times a week but I travel to other cities where there are big dance events taking place. In fact this past year I was in Dallas *gasp* and not for an apostofest but for a dance event where people from around the country and Europe came to dance. There were about 1000 people there. It was so much fun and a healthy environment. Most dancers (99.9 %) don’t smoke. Polite etiquette is observed among all. Dancing is one great community to get involved in if you are looking to replace all those meetings.

Also this past year I found my sailing community. Not only do I get to sail some weekends on Lake Lanier, near Atlanta but there were some of us dance buddies that chartered a sailboat in the British Virgin Islands last spring for a wonderful week of sailing. The captain made sure that each night we moored near a restaurant that had live music so that we could dance. Also this past Thanksgiving I sailed again along the Florida coast. Every day we saw dolphins. What wonderful memories of all my sailing trips this year.

Some of you know that I took up bike riding about 3 years ago, great therapy-gets the endorphins going. I continue to ride my bike and have found others who enjoy riding. In fact this past May there were 4 of us that rode from Smyrna, GA 80 miles to Piedmont, AL on the Silver Comet trail. Spent the night in a fleabag motel and returned the next day. Many shorter rides are great because we have found some good restaurants to eat at while we enjoy a day’s ride. This fall I went with my son up to the Georgia Mountains to see how I would do climbing. I’m not a climber, it took all I had to ride 20 miles and 3000 feet in vertical climbs. My son did 3 Gap and is now training for 6 Gap next year. This is the area that Lance Armstrong trains in the US for the mountains of Europe. Hopefully, I get back and do the “valley” ride in the mountains again next year.

As far as next year goes, I’ve already got several dance events to attend, averaging one a month. Also two cruises planned. One on a ship involving WCS dance workshops and another sailing charter back in the B.V.I. Hopefully I’ll be able to get back to Europe in the summer time.

Have I found peace and contentment in my life? You bet. I feel strongly that I’m a spiritual person, just not one who would ever get involved with any religion. I highly value commitment, loyalty, honesty and morality along with a positive outlook on life. What does the future hold? I don’t know, no one does. I’m just trying to do the best I can with what qualities I have.

One of my favorite quotes I found this year summarizes how I live…
    “Sometimes it is more important to demonstrate confidence that others will find their way than it is to try to figure out how you yourself can help them out of their dilemmas.”

May everyone have a happy holiday and wonderful new year, 2009.
    Joy
    aka: joy2bfree, joyzabel.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Howdy:-)

• sacolton
    sacolton

So, I take it you won't be returning to the meetings?

Just kidding! Glad you have found happiness in your life. Congratulations on your successful escape from the WTBTS.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day from downunder!

Glad that things are going well; thanks for the update.

Have a Happy Christmas and a simply great New Year!

Cheers, ozzie

• Scully
    Scully

I miss you, girlfriend!

So glad you've found happiness... you deserve it!

Love, Scully

• blondie
    blondie

Hey, Joy! You're on the right track.

Love, Blondie

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

How cool is that? Thank you so much for sharing all of your adventures with us.

You go girl!!!

lisa

• Celia
    Celia

Hello Joy !

We met in Weston-super-Mare 3 years ago. You do all the things I should be doing but don't find the time to do and won't do because I have no buddy who wants to do those things with me : You dance and ride your bike and sail... I should be hiking, jogging, traveling....

Nice to hear from you again. How is our friend?

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

H! I met you at Big Tex and Cruzanhearts one time here in Dallas. You impressed me as a very sweet and caring Lady, and I very much enjoyed talking with you. I am so glad that life is treating you well!

Have a wonderful Holiday season!

CJ

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Howdy Joy--Joe said to tell you that you're having so much fun as a single that maybe I should join you! You know Joe, always joking around. You're a real XJW success story. Sounds like you have lots of energy what with all that dancing, biking, sailing, working, etc., so what vitamins do you take? or is it that herb tea you drink?

Barb

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit