announcement at service meeting last night

by isaacaustin 54 Replies latest jw friends

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

I remember the bell! I also remember a light tap on the chair also.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

so sad this was such a big part of my life...all of these fake "urgent" announcements... you woulda thought the Big A was coming...again... so heres a story... possibly a retell..

I was a TMS overseer in my old MTS assignment... someone decided to hide the bell,...because the wife of the Secretary was giving a talk and she loved to hear herself pontificate .....and no one had ever DARED to ring the bell on HER....

so no bell...did they really think that would stop Brother Snakes? Of course not. When her time was up (and I gave her an extra 30 seconds), I intoned loudly: "TIME!" I got the look of death as she redfaced left the stage.

Same sister (who considered herself the "Mother" of everyone in the congregation (More like Mommie Dearest)..... who on the last sister talk of the year (the last year that they allowed public counsel)... I had the audacity to give her a W on audience contact.

During the SM, the sister came back to the literature counter where I was standing going over my service meeting part one more time and loudly started chewing me out... "How dare I give he a W..she has never had a W in her whole life..take that W off her counsel slip..her perfect record was not going to be blemished by that." Understand that the whole congo could hear her because there was no wall dividing the auditorium from the lobby (other than a backstop type wall behind the sound booth) ...her husband came and got her... gave me the look of death...

After the meeting I went to the PO and he started to jump my case....I told him I stood by my W.... the secretary tried again to intercede for his wife..saying I had humiliated his wife... I apologized for any discomfort she had experienced but I had an assignment to carry out ...the job HE had given me when I arrived (which is why his wife never got a W..he was TMSO) because he wanted to keep the secretary job... ..and I did not give special favor to anyone. (well, except a little kid maybe on their first talk..it was never kids I had issue with.lol)

I told the Secretary... "seems like you have a qualification problem." He wanted to know what I meant.... I told him "seems like you have no control over your household... if your wife has an issue with something I say, she is more than welcome to talk to me privately or with you..I have no problem with that......but if she ever tries to humiliate or intimidate me (as if she could..lol) like that in front of others again, I will have your badge." (understand, I was so amused by this whole thing that I was trying not to laugh at how pathetic someone could get so damn upset about a W on the fake school..I was trying not to laugh...so was the PO..though he didnt dare even smirk)

As the world turns I swear.... not long after I left my assignment...., then the secretary and his Mother I mean wife... moved away before he was removed by the CO and moved to florida....

Snakes ()

• flipper
    flipper

Interseting thread. I think they should ring the bell after the opening song and prayer ; then tell everybody it's time to go home

• yknot
    yknot

I am up late doing some bigger cleaning tasks.......... (oven and waxing floors)

And it dawned on me how much that 'bell' or in my KH's case 'Kitchen Timer' had/has influenced me......

I have done almost every task my entire life using a timer to set a time frame to keep myself efficient.......

OMG!..... I have been so indoctrinated !!!!!

• Newborn
    Newborn

Oh god...they treet people like fools and people let them...

Will it never end?

• halcyon
    halcyon

> So who is the bell person? is this another special privelege like the michrophone guy? one lucky guy gets to obssess about the time and not listen, just sits there waiting to ring the bell? It always seemed to be a precocious little kid, or some up-and-coming brother who was working toward microphone handler. NObody important (yet).

• LDH
    LDH

First of all, giving someone public 'counsel' over a 4 minute talk is just retarded.

I'm LOL'ing at the comment blondie posted about how the "sisters" found it to be such a CHALLENGE to do a six minute demonstration of the crap they parrot for HOURS during the month as a pioneer. Yet, put them in a quasi-informaal teaching role in the congregation, and they are ahem.....CHALLENGED.

LOL.

PS,my recommendation is to complete your talk in TWO minutes,everyone.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

So EVERYONE should go overtime so that the whole school will be cancelled....one less meeting a week!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Speaking of cutting the talks short, I remember one a$$embly (a Great Boasting Session) that took two whole days. I could have given the damn thing in about ten seconds. "Jehovah is the happiest person in the universe. And it's because He makes everyone else miserable." And that would have been the whole program.

I say they ring that bell before anyone even shows up, say at about 4:30 PM that afternoon. Then they would just cancel the whole boasting session.

• snowbird
    snowbird

This is a trip down Memory Lane, so please indulge me.

There was this old brother who could read really well - a rarity in Deep South Alabama.

He was doing the Bible reading in Numbers, if I remember correctly. Anyway, there were quite a few long words and sentences, and the assignment was the entire chapter.

He was really into it, and so was the whole cong, but he was running grossly overtime. The overseer rapped on his chair; Bro X didn't break his stride. The overseer rapped on his table; Bro X still didn't stop reading. The overseer stood up and cleared his throat loudly; Bro X continued on his merry reading until he finished the job.

By then, everybody was convulsed with laughter. I was happy that he didn't discontinue his reading. He read really well and fluently, and it was a nice break from an otherwise stuffy meeting.

I need to write that book!

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit