announcement at service meeting last night

by isaacaustin 54 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

When I was in, I used to time my own talks (I was the assistant at the time). I was just as strict with myself as with everyone else--and always came within 10 seconds of 5 minutes.

I would like to start seeing more talks running under 4 minutes--like 3:30 and under. Or maybe going past the bell on purpose just to get deleted. I wonder who would be left to give all the talks--certainly I would not be giving more than one, once I start sabotaging the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger's spiritual monosodium glutamate with the real truth (and going past the bell on purpose).

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

I may have told this story, I dunno...the short version

We had a led type light attached to the microphone... looked like part of the mic stand...visible only to the speaker. When any brother went over, the timer had a small remote that turned the light on. The brother was to finish his sentence and then get off (or if another service meeting part after his introduce and get off). Worked very well.

Snakes ()

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

If the bell rings you are to stop immediately- not even finishing your sentence.

Doesn't this sound similar to the Pavlov experiment? When he rang the bell, the dogs would salivate. When the elder rings th bell, the dubs will instantly shut up. I wonder if eventually, householders who are unhappy to see jws at their door can ring their own doorbells to avoid the latest door to door offering. LOL!

• undercover
    undercover
    We had a led type light attached to the microphone

We call it a "laser"...

When the speaker goes overtime we don't expect him to stop talking, we expect him to die.

(with apologies to 007 & Austin Powers fans everywhere)

• yknot
    yknot
    DO you think the TMS will be phased out in some way?

I think converts are still appreciated by the WTS.....

I think we will see a lot of modifications of both the TMS and BS....

Right now I don't see the need to keep a BS if it is only 25 minutes of highlights!.... it is wasteful of printing cost.

I think the ultimate goal is to cut the meeting down to an hour similar to Wednesday nights in wordly churches. 30 minutes TMS-like discourse to encourage converting the masses, 15 minutes relevent sermon, 7 minutes SM, 8 minutes songs and prayer..... poof done in 1 hour!

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    The elder also said that if you go over your time you may not be allowed to give any more talks. This was said in all seriousness.

I would have prayed to hear that back in the day!!! LMAO!

• Cheetos
    Cheetos

I would say to that injuction roll it and smoke it, too bad they don't make the circut overseer do the same thing.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I wonder how long it will be before the first lawsuit claiming discrimination against those who have "Syndrome of Time Distortions" or STDs.

These people only stop when someone rings their bell.

• carla
    carla

They ring a bell? seriously? what if they were to cut off some very important message? wouldn't they technically be stumbling someone?

What? is this run like a game show or something? I never heard of such a thing in a church type setting! I thought people practiced their 'talks'? don't they time it like you would if you gave a speech at school and make sure you don't go over? So who is the bell person? is this another special privelege like the michrophone guy? one lucky guy gets to obssess about the time and not listen, just sits there waiting to ring the bell?

• mouthy
    mouthy

So glad they listened to me I used to complain to the Elders? that It frustrated me so much when folks went over their time limit, So it is about time they granted my request

Especially at Assemblies....!!!! Another thing I complained about to C.S.. Elders & all in power that would listen....Poor mother would just get the babies off to sleep ,some" Big Shot" would give a talk & the applauding went on for AGES!!!!!! Woke all the babies up....

I mentioned it came close to Idol worship

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit