Should I Write to "Chicken of the Sea"?

by compound complex 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Tuna Friends,

I am very disappointed, perhaps even angry.

My grocery budget is very limited. Nevertheless, I splurged on a couple cans of Chicken of the Sea solid white albacore tuna. My plan was to stretch it out for 3 or 4 meals. Well, get a load of this - it was more like the cheapest, catfood variety grated tuna, IMHO. Perhaps one notch above.

Needless to say, I had to doctor it up. It was rather difficult getting it down the hatch, what with the lump in my throat and tear in my eye ... But I was very, very hungry.

Desperate times call for ...

Should I write the company and express my disappointment? Or should I give them the benefit of the doubt?

This isn't the first time that I've found their product "mislabeled."

Thanks for your help.

CoCo

• snowbird
    snowbird

By all means write to them and ask if they would like for you to send Charlie from StarKist to go oomph upside their heads!

The nerve of them!

Sylvia

• minimus
    minimus

I thought this was going to be another thread where people uncover the evil origins of a product.

What do you expect from tuna that labels itself as chicken?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, dear Sylvia:

You are so wise. And probably a very good cook, too, I daresay. I believe I read about your skills somewhere ...

Creamed tuna on toast, anyone?

CoCo

• snowbird
    snowbird

I'm a decent enough cook, but not of her caliber:

http://www.sylviasrestaurant.com/

Sylvia

• Dagney
    Dagney

Noo!! You should write write write in the clever way that you do.

I think you will get some goodies to boot!

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    My grocery budget is very limited. Nevertheless, I splurged on a couple cans of Chicken of the Sea solid white albacore tuna. My plan was to stretch it out for 3 or 4 meals. Well, get a load of this - it was more like the cheapest, catfood variety grated tuna, IMHO. Perhaps one notch above.

Wow, I would angry too. That is terrible. Have you tried canned pink salmon? I find the texture and flavor much better.

BTS

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

You have my sympathy.

I, too, have been non-plussed by the consistency of most canned tuna these days.

It is more like canned tuna paste than canned tuna.

But, with the addition of a lot of celery and onion bits, as well as mayo and some old bay, it becomes palatable when served on a soft tortilla or pita with some american or muenster cheese.

Perhaps the Obama presidency can return us to the days of chunky canned tuna.

BA- Dealing with tuna paste.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Have you tried canned pink salmon? I find the texture and flavor much better.

BTS

Canned salmon, Star Kist boneless

Olive oil

Eggs

Grated mozzarella cheese

Garlic - the minced kind in a jar

Canned tomatoes

Whole wheat flat bread

Heat olive oil in skillet, add garlic and 1 can of tomatoes. Open 3 cans of salmon (do not drain) and empty into skillet. Allow to simmer for about 15 minutes or until liquid is reduced.

Break 6 eggs over mixture, add cheese and black pepper to taste. Let simmer for another 5 or 10 minutes or until eggs are done and cheese is melted.

Heat or toast flat bread and spread salmon mixture generously over it. Fold bread over and eat with gusto!

Always keep food like this on hand. It even tastes good when cold.

Sylvia

• LDH
    LDH

Do you have Trader Joe's near you? Buy theirs.

2nd choice. Starkist.

Never buy "Chicken of the Sea."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit